Minnesota luxe getaway

Search

Minnesota luxe getaway

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minnesota luxe getaway

My husband and I are taking our first mini-vacation since our baby was born last year. We're not going far, though. We'll either do the Grand Hotel or the LeMeredien in Minneapolis, or go to a resort on the North Shore. My questions for all you locals (we just moved here a few years ago):

1) Where are the good deals for the upscale Mpls hotels? I find the Grand on Quikbook, for instance, but I don't believe either of the above mentioned places are available on any of the other usual discount places. Especially the LM--can't find it discounted anywhere.

2) What are your best recommendations for an upscale resort up north? We've only been to the Grand Superior, which was very nice, but we were there 3 years ago. Any newer, fab resorts you can recommend?

Thanks in advance. . .
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 06:05 PM

Since LeMeridien is new, you won't likely find it discounted anywhere yet unless you book it for a convention, etc. Also, it's the nicest hotel downtown, but the style of luxury is extremely contemporary. Not traditional type luxury. Bathrooms much like many of the W hotels. The Grand is OK, but not any better than a typical Hyatt or Hilton.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 11:16 AM

Hope you have a wonderful vacation! Re resorts up north, here's a couple of suggestions: Bluefin Bay, Superior Shores, or Gunflint Lodge. They all have websites. If you want a really fabulous (and expensive) luxe romantic getaway with fabulous food, though, check out Canoe Bay in Wisconsin. A couple of hours from the Twin Cities, and just wonderful! They also have a website. If you want a standard hotel in Minneapolis, why not try Priceline and bid for a 5-star hotel? You should be able to get a good rate. Good luck and have a great time! (and be sure to check out Canoe Bay - google would be able to find the website for you).
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 11:25 AM

I've stayed at the Grand for a bargain rate - okay, but noisy. No experience with LM; I've checked out ALL "luxury" resorts in the state and none even comes close to Canoe Bay in Wisconsin. I'd highly recommend that, based on several trips in the last three years . It's a little pricey, but lovely - relaxing, romantic, and secluded.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all for your suggestions. I can't find anything higher than 3 star on Priceline for DT Mpls, so I may have to bite the bullet and pay rack if we stay in the city. The Gunflint resort looks interesting, too, so we may end up there, if not now, later.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:23 PM

Before you make your reservations at the Grand Hotel, let me make two other suggestions.

The first is The Nicollet Island Inn. It's a small upscale inn located on an island in the middle of the Mississippi River. I've heard they treat their guests very well and I know they have a nice restaurant on site known for it's Minnesota "flavor" food. You just need to walk across the bridge to be in downtown Minneapolis.

The second is the St. Paul Hotel - in downtown St. Paul. It's an older established hotel - first class all the way.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 03:13 PM

This is another vote for Nicollet Island Inn. It's very small hotel, so you won't get that "cookie cutter" feeling that you get with chain hotels. This one is cozy and romantic. Fireplace in the lobby bar. Great views of the river. Food in the restaurant is excellent!! And I'm not sure if this is still the case, but they used to have one heckuva Sun brunch.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 04:01 PM

I second the vote for the St. Paul Hotel. Dinner at the St. Paul Grill and possibly a show at the Ordway is a wonderful way to spend a romantic getaway. Way better than anything I have found in Mpls.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:14 PM

I've never been there, but have read about Canoe Bay several times in the Conde Nast magazine. Check out the website (pix, rates, floor plans, etc.)
www.canoebay.com
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 04:30 PM

TTT