Minneapolis vs. Richmond, VA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have job offers in both locales-- never been to either. Anyone been to both and able to offer thoughts/impressions? As for weather, I prefer 10 degrees to 90.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 08:54 AM

If you don't mind the cold weather, I would definitely choose Minneapolis. It is a wonderful city with many cultural offerings as well as major professional sports. What a clean city it is. I have talked to many who have visited Minneapolis and it may be the cleanest city you will find in the US. My own experience in Minneapolis as been great also. Choose Minneapolis
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 09:17 AM

Never lived in Richmond but spent 17 years in Minneapolis and I can tell you that summer weather is WORST than winter!! Very hot muggy days, lots of flying bugs and tornado warnings a couple of times a month. Was happy to move out.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Well having lived in Minnesota all my life (69 years), it is a marvelous place. Alot to do, a very beautiful state. As far as being hot I had to laugh you have not known hot until you go to Florida or any state down south. It was above average here this year, but this is very very rare that it gets as hot as it was this year. We broke a record from back in 1930 something of it being over 100 for one day. lol 100 for a day is nothing, my son lives in Florida and a grandson in Arizona it is that every day and hotter. Yes, our winters can be harsh, but again pass three years we were extremely warm here with very little snow. And you said you could stand it down to 10. As far as bugs no big deal, most places have some sort of bug or snakes or whatever. Use spray and stay indoors when they are at their worst. Well I just cannot say enough good things about Minnesota. But I vote hands up for Minneapolis. And yes it is a very very clean city.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

What kind of flying bugs do you have in MN? Black flies, etc?

Yes, I can handle it down to 10, or even lower. I've lived in Cleveland & Michigan, both no strangers to cold and snow. But Richmond seems to have been in the mid 90s for weeks, which I would hate. Cost of living is less there, though. MN seems to have high taxes, also.

Thanks for the replies thus far!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Minneapolis is a much more sophisticated place. Richmond is lovely, but you never forget you are in the Old South. It can feel a little backwards. Minneapolis is much more progressive and vibrant.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:24 AM

My son goes to school in Minneapolis and he woulnd't mind living there after graduation.
Yes, it's hot and humid in the summer - but that never lasts very long. If you lived in Michigan you'll be used to that.
Speaking of bugs, there are some that never survive this far north because of the winter kill off.

A friend of my Dad moved to Richmond some time ago. As he was sitting on his front porch drinking a beer a neighbor walked over and informed him "We don't do that around here." Things may have changed, but I'm not sure how much.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:25 AM

Mosquitoes, flies, boxelder bugs, knats just to name afew rofl.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Another key fact that I probably should have mentioned-- my husband and I are a mixed race couple.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:40 AM

In Minnesota - the Mosquito is our state bird.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Richmond summers tend to be hot but spring and fall are be very pleasant. Winter is more like cold rain and some ice storms rather than snow. Richmond has the advantage of being on the east coast which means that there is lots to see and do within reasonable driving distance. For example, Washington, DC with its fantastic museums, monuments etc. is about a 3 hour drive. Colonial Williamsburg is not far and of year round interest. A bit south of that is Virginia Beach and other water recreation is plentiful and not too far. If you are able, visit both before a decision.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Minneapolis tends to be a more liberal city than some, probably more than a southern city. I mention this since you stated you are part of a racially mixed couple. My guess is this would not be an issue in Minneapolis, but may be in Richmond.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:27 PM

gmelle: I have lived in MN my entire life. I currently live 1 hour south of the Mpls. metro area. Minnesota just had the highest ACT scores in the nation and is consistently ranked in the top 5 states for education. It shows. People are very educated here and esp. in the city, fairly liberal. There is a thriving arts community; more theater per capita than any other city in the U.S. except New York. Medical care and technology are cutting edge here; University of Mn and Mayo clinic are both major influences. When I was growing up I would have said you might feel out of place if you weren't a white person of scandinavian or german descent, but that has definitely improved and I consider Mpls. pretty diverse now. There are more than 10,000 lakes in the state; gorgeous park system in the city built around the Mississippi River and area lakes. I have not been to Richmond, but I think you would love it here. It is bitterly cold about 7-12 days out of a winter and super humid about 2-3 weeks each summer, but the rest of the time it is dandy and I enjoy the changing seasons...I think it would be somewhat like your Michigan experiences. Housing and taxes are a bit high; you get what you pay for; we have great public spaces and schools. Come for a visit!! Welcome!!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:39 PM
TheWeasel

"I have job offers in both locales-- never been to either. Anyone been to both and able to offer thoughts/impressions? As for weather, I prefer 10 degrees to 90."

I'd suggest you visit both. I can't imagine taking a job without seeing where I was going to live first. If you prefer 10 degrees to 90, I think Minneapolis is the obvious choice.

Bugs - I live in Minneapolis, just south of downtown, and it's not a big deal. If you go around the lakes, then you'll run into bugs. But, living in the city is not like living in rural or northern MN where the bugs will eat you alive.

Minneapolis tends to vote Democrat - whether that makes them more liberal and tolerant is questionable. If I had to characterize/stereotype the residents, Minnesota natives are more guarded and not as friendly to newcomers as people who've moved here from elsewhere. Whether that will have much of an effect on you is questionable, because there are pretty sizeable numbers of non-native Minnesotans here.

One poster mentioned that Richmond has cold rain/ice storms in winter, but not really any snow. I moved to Mississippi for a couple years to get away from the cold winters up here, and discovered that I hated the winters down there even more precisely because it was cold and wet. 40 degrees with rain is worse than 0 degrees with snow, IMO.

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I live in the suburbs of Richmond VA formerly a NJersey girl. I have never been to Minneapolis.
The summers here are hot and humid. You get that from June through Sept. Springs are beautiful. Fall is my favorite time of year. Fall lasts until mid-late December. We have some freak snowstorms, but mostly rain, and some ice.
Winters are mild.
We have enjoyed living here very much and we are Yankees living in the south! I can also tell you that you can drink beer anywhere you want(above poster mentioned that that was not acceptable years ago)).
If you prefer colder weather, my guess is that you will like Minneapolis better. Richmond is a small city. Housing has always been reasonable, but is now starting rise and become more competitive with other areas. The city itself is nothing great. The suburbs are nice. The public schools in the suburbs are very good (I am in Midlothian). I would also recommend a visit to both areas to make a final decision.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Oh and I don't think the mixed race couple thing is that big of a deal here in the Richmond area. Since I am not of a mixed race couple, I can not tell you for sure. But, I do know people who are and they have never complained that it was an issue.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:34 AM

A close relative and his wife moved last year from Minneapolis to Richmond. They found housing in the city to be much more attractive and lower in price in Richmond than in Minneapolis, where they were involved in bidding wars in the driveway while trying to buy tired bungalows. In both places, housing "out in the county" is cheaper, but he works long hours and needed to be near downtown.

Minneapolis has two world class art museums, a world class theatre, and a world class symphony, but it is also a
l-o-n-g way from anywhere, and Northwest (near bankruptcy) dominates air travel. Richmond is not an airline hub for anybody, but connectivity is improving with the arrival of JetBlue. As another poster notes, Richmond is close to a lot of other cities, particularly Washington DC, and both the mountains and the beach are easily accessible.

My relative had moved from Chicago to MSP and found Minnesota a lot less diverse, but then I suppose any place is, compared to Chicago. Firms in Richmond have African Americans at all levels, but I don't know about social and cultural life.