Minneapolis to Canada

May 20th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Linda

Minneapolis to Canada

What is a good route and sights to see driving from Minneapolis, Minn. to Canada at the end of Sept. 2001?

May 20th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Brian Kilgorew

What part of Canada do you want to go to? That might make a bit of a difference in suggesting a route.

BAk

May 21st, 2001, 04:43 AM
BrianKilgore

I need to be in MSP for business in late Sept. and thought I would rent a car and go north - no real plans where, or for how long yet. Thnks.

May 21st, 2001, 08:30 AM
KK

By far the best route is I-35 to Duluth, then highway 61 to the border. There are, of course, other border crossings, but if you are looking for an interesting drive this is the best way. If you are heading for Winnepeg, for example, it is more direct to angle Northwest though the state but there won't be much to see.

May 21st, 2001, 11:40 AM
Cali

I totally agree that the trip from Minneapolis to Thunder Bay Ontario would be more interesting and beautiful than going up to Winnipeg (nothing against Winnipeg, route just isn't as pretty). You can take I-35 to Duluth and then look around the harbor area of Duluth (where they have done lots and it is fun) and tour an ore boat and then head up Hwy 61 up the North Shore of Lake Superior. It is gorgeous. There are several places we really enjoy visiting (Split Rock Lighthouse, Gooseberry State Park, Tettagouche State Park) and we also enjoy the small towns (mostly Two Harbors and Grand Marais) but there are others too. Betty's Pies outside of Two Harbors is a landmark and the Rustic Inn between Two Harbors and Silver Bay is good. There are also some resorts along the shore. I always like to stop at the Lutsen Resort and have lunch or dinner as it is the oldest resort in Minnesota and the location is so pretty. Can also have meals that are very good at Bluefin Bay in Tofte. In Grand Marais there are many restaurants - some we enjoy are: East Bay Hotel Dining Room, Sven & Ole's for pizza and sandwiches, Harbor Inn, and Birch Terrace. If you go up the Gunflint Trail you might try some of the lodges for food - our favorite is Gunflint Lodge which has fabulous food. In Grand Portage (near the border) you can enjoy at nice meal at the lodge and also enjoy the beautiful bay and can gamble too! In Thunder Bay, there are many restaurants but the one we enjoy the most is The Keg. Hope this helps!

May 21st, 2001, 11:41 AM
Cali

Ooops, I forgot - the leaves will be gorgeous at the end of Sept. too!! Enjoy!

May 22nd, 2001, 03:00 PM
Cali

Wow - thanks for all the info - I now know how to plan - appreciate it. Linda