mini ipods in orlando

Search

mini ipods in orlando

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mini ipods in orlando

i am going to orlando in august and for my birthday i am buying a mini ipod, where are the cheapest places to get them from??

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:16 AM

*sigh* Are you the young lady who has already posted on this? You won't get a different answer by a second post-- Apple has extremely tight control over the pricing of their hardware products, including iPods. Especially iPods.

The best place to get one, if you're hell-bent on saving a buck or two, is online, say at macconnection.com or apple.com. Right now, MacConnection is offering a $10US iTunes gift certificate, which is a pretty good deal. They may or may not ship outside the US. For that matter, why not hit amazon.com or amazon.co.uk? They occasionally can save you a few bucks.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:20 AM

rjw, Becky hasn't posted on this topic before; in her only other post, she claims to be 11 years old, so give her a break.

Becky, rjw is right -- when an item is in high demand, it's hard to get "deals," and this is especially true of Apple products.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Actually, I think this is the post rjw is referring to:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34597888

And guessing that BeckyBoop is Kevey's daughter and decided to post this question a second time under this name even though it was already posted under the other name.

I can't imagine there are two people going to Orlando for their birthdays and looking to buy an ipod there at the same time, both posting on fodors.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:39 AM

BeckyBoop is indeed my daughter - she has been driving us mad for weeks asking for a mini ipod - so we said that as her birthday coincides with our trip to Orlando in August - why doesn't she ask family to give her money for her birthday presents to buy one there - we understand that they are slightly cheaper in USA than UK and thought it would be nice for her to choose one with her birthday money
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:44 AM

I see. I just got on the boards a few minutes ago, and hadn't seen the earlier post.

"Choosing" one? Aren't they all identical except for the color?
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Listen - I am not very 'with it, 'cool' - so if you say they are all the same except for the colour, I'll take your word for it.

I am only a poor Dad trying to placate his little girl !!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:09 PM

I just checked on amazon.co.uk-- and I can tell you: WAIT TO BUY IT IN THE US. I had no idea our weak dollar made iPods so expensive...!

Look on the other thread-- the Apple Store Millenia is your best bet.

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:14 PM

So you have a handle on what's involved here-- The iPod Mini comes in two main models: 4GB storage (1000 songs) and 6GB storage (1500 songs). The prices are $199US and $249US, respectively, IF you buy in the US. The iTunes software used to archive music, download purchased songs from Apple's iTunes website and rip songs from CDs is Macintosh- and Windows-compatible (I'm a Windows software developer, but I live in a WinXP and MacOSX household). The iPod Minis are popular, but by August they should have healthy stocks in the stores. They sell iPods in several third-party retailers (Target, BestBuy, CompUSA, etc.)-- but I'd buy it at the Apple Store since it's a REALLY fun place, even for a Windows wonk like me.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 01:43 PM

I did not get mine from mac warehouse or one of those places because it was a christmas present to me from hubby. but one of the perks offered back then was free engraving of your name on the ipod. I doubt that would deter a thief but i thought it would have been nice to have had.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Kevey, BeckyBoop,

Dear old Dad, be aware that you will also need a way to load songs onto the iPod via a computer, laptop, desktop or otherwise. Any brand will do - doesn't need to be an Apple. My 1yr old iPod only has a firewire type connection so I had to go out and get a matching card for my 'obsolete but still fully functional' home computer. I hear they come with a USB connector now, but not sure.

If history is any indicator of past performance, in about 2 hrs this thread will be invaded by the "why not get a non-Apple brand MP3 player and save yourself $100. Technically they are correct, other MP3 players work just find, maybe even better for some and at a lower price. But hey, an iPod is chic so go for it.

Say hi to Mickey for me.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

i will say hi to mickey for you