Reload this Page >

Milwaukee - Suggestions, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 12:50 PM
x

Figure to be spending a day in Milwaukee in a few weeks. Would like suggestions of a funky/interesting neighborhood to wander around in where we could browse interesting shops or galleries, etc...And where to eat (not fancy/$$). Thanks!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Goo

I go up to Milwaukee at least once a year, here's my chioces, the neighborhood just east of downtown seems to have some nice restaurants and hotels, walkers point on the South Side, Water Street near downtown, the Marquette area has improved a lot in the past few years, the conservatory is cool as is the Miller Park. The Miller Brewery tour is good, a few restaurants that get good reviews are Bartolotta's, the Turner and my favorite the Chilis shop near Marquette. Have fun.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Beth

I agree with the suggestions above--you also might want to check to see if there are any lakefront festivals. I don't know what you consider "fancy/$$" but Bartolotta's, while excellent, can be expensive. Average entree cost is $20-$30. When I've eaten there my complete meal, with wine, is twice that cost--but well worth it!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Dan

The key word is "funky". I think the area on the East side near Brady Street is considered funky, at least it was. The area
near the Oriental Theater, not far from Brady St. appeared to have intersting shops. Some might say the historic south district is funky, but I'd say its more for Yupsters trying to act funkadelic.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:00 AM
x

Thanks for the suggestions! Sounds like Brady St. might fill the bill for some interesting strolling....
(Strange things going on with this forum. I did a "milwaukee" search to quickly find this thread and it didn't even come up!)