Michigan-Wisconson drive

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michigan-Wisconson drive

We're driving from Manitowoc, MI to Machinac Island. Mapsco say's it's about 295 miles and 5.5 hours. Is this correct? Also are there any special stops we should make?
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 01:15 PM

Have you considered taking the ferry across? You can take your car with you and it will get you a lot closer (Ludington). The ferry ride is about 4 hours, but you're not driving - you can sit back and relax instead. From Ludington, it's about a 3 hour drive to the bridge. Here's the ferry web site:

http://www.ssbadger.com

I live in Grand Rapids and it's around 4 hours to Mackinac Island from here. I don't think 5.5 hours is realistic at all. Which way were you going to go - through Chicago or through Michigan's Upper Peninsula?

Heidi
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 01:34 PM
JJ5

It takes at least 2-1/2 hours on a VERY good day for me to get to Paw-Paw from Chicago. It can take 3 or 4.

It will take longer than 5.5 hours. The ferry is better for going WI to MI mid-state level any day.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 02:31 PM
TheWeasel

"The ferry is better for going WI to MI mid-state level any day."

Right, but OP isn't going mid-state. Mackinac Island is way north of mid-state, so driving through the UP is the only way to go.

I don't think 5.5-6 hours is that far off from reality. Even if it does take a little longer (and it should, because it would be a waste to drive thru the UP and NOT stop), I would vote for a drive rather than sitting on a ferry for 4 hours and then driving 3 hours. The UP is way more interesting and scenic than a ferry ride.

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 05:25 AM

I still think it will take longer than 5 or 6 hours no matter if you go through the UP or the southern route.

And Weasel, taking the ferry across the lake into Ludington will get JS2006 a whole lot closer to Mackinac Island than driving either way. The ferry has comfortable seats, food, drinks, etc. so it's a nice relaxing ride. On my map, it seems to be the most direct route. Lighten up on JJ5, ok?
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 07:57 AM

I wouldn't even consider the southern route. The traffic back up is horrible during a normal year but this year (and next) with the Dan Ryan construction it is insane. The Dan Ryan is down to single lanes in some places and if there is any kind of accident or stall you're stuck...forever so it seems.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 08:24 AM
TheWeasel

"Lighten up on JJ5, ok?"

I simply pointed out that OP is not travelling mid-state to mid-state. If OP was headed mid-state the ferry would make sense - a 4 hour ferry ride vs. a much longer drive. Your point about being relaxing is relative - some people don't want to sit on a ferry looking at water for 4 hours, and would rather drive through some scenery with the ability to stop when they want.

If you look it up on Mapquest, they show a route of 295 miles/5.5 hours through the UP. That's what the OP is talking about, not a route through Chicago.
Manitowoc to Green Bay - 39 miles (1 hour w/traffic)
Green Bay to Menominee - 55 miles (1 hour)
Menominee to Mackinac City - 201 miles (doable in 3.5 hours, although I'd recommend taking your time to enjoy the scenery).

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 03:46 PM

I agree with Weasel (who sounds pretty light and bright). The drive through northern Wisc. and Michigan along Lake Michigan is nice. No tourist traps or traffic jams, just small towns and beautiful woods, wildflowers and views of the lake.

You can take the ferry to Mackinac Island from St. Ignace easily. Closer than Mackinaw City.

The Manitowac ferry can be delayed by weather, and if the lake is rough it is not fun.
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:06 AM

Places to stop in the UP on the drive include Kitchitikipi Springs and Fayette Historic State Park. There are a few tourist trapas - worst is The Mystery Spot, just before St. Ignace.

Other places that might interest you are Seney National Wildlife Refuge, the boardwalk and pier at Manistique, and the Cut River Bridge (brief stop).

The ferry ride from the Mackinaw City side to the Island is more beautiful, and you will want to take a drive over the Bridge, anyway.

Keith
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:04 AM

I have purposefully driven that exact route because family members live between those two locations (Milwaukee and St Ignace ). Though I love that kind of a drive, it is boring, especially when you get into MI from WI (at Marinette). All I recall was that it took much longer than I expected. Do not recall ANY place of interest along the way, except for the waterfront in Sturgeon Bay (which is not ON the route).
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate all the comments. We don't want to take the ferry and miss out on the small town stuff. We enjoy seeing America. Sometimes it's the little things that count. Thanks.