Search

Miami - what area??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Pattie

Miami - what area??

We are spending a couple of days in Miami. We haven't been there before, so have no idea what area we should stay in. We presently have reservations at the Sleep Inn by the airport, but thought I might try Hotwire for something more upscale. Any suggestions on what area to try for? What area to stay away from? We would like to do a bit of sight seeing and beach time, but will have a rental car
I can't use Priceline as I tried that and got rejected because I have a Cdn address (Even though I was told it would work )
Thanks for your help

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Bonnie

I love the South Beach area. It is so alive! There is the Beach, great restaurants, interesting shopping, different hotels to look at and walking, walking, walking. Lincoln Road is fun also. You aren't far from Bayside and boat tours to see the magnificent homes, Bal Harbour is accessible, also. I was able to use Priceline with my American Express even with a Canadian address. Or I get a friend who can use it to make the reservation for me and then I just give them the money. Makes a big difference as you probably know!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Bonnie

Just thought of another area for you. Aventura, which is North Miami Beach, and is very convenient if you want to see Ft. Lauderdale or go down to points south. They have just opened a new Residence Inn, there is a Marriott Courtyard, and of course, there is always Turnberry Resort.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:53 AM
Statia

Pattie:

I've stayed at Sleep Inn by the airport, then on another trip much more preferred Amerisuites (also airport location) on the other side of Palmetto Expressway. The location and hotel were much better. However, this is just a suggestion if you prefer to stay near MIA. I'm sure
Bonnie's suggestions are better for a pleasure trip, as my trips there are always for business.

Good Luck.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Pattie

Thanks Bonnie & Statia for your advice.
I may try Priceline again - I did have an unsuccessful bid last week that went thru okay, (other than I didn't get it) but when I tried this week it was rejected because I had an Cdn address. Go figure??
Statia - was the Sleep Inn okay? We got a pretty good rate there using an Entertainment card, but was worried it might not be very good??
Do you have any suggestions of things to see and do while we are there - approx 1 1/2 days??
Thanks again!!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:24 AM
pattie

Hi Bonnie...or anyone
One question - just checked Hotwire and can get a 3 (or 3.5?) star resort on the beach in Miami Beach for $79. Would that be a good area?
Thanks

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:56 AM
W

That is a good rate, though all hotels are not in good repair. Also, be aware that most hotels on the beach charge 12% tax & offer valet parking only. This can be annoying when you have only a brief time there and have to spend ages waiting for the valet to go get your car (usually at another site) and they remember who tipped what on each occasion. That said, anything in the North Miami Beach area, such as Aventura has great access to a variety of activities.
Also check for construction in the area. When I was there last in October, Trump is building some mega-plex of condos on a long stretch of Collins.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Bonnie

There is Miami Beach and then there is South Beach. Depends that hotels they are talking about. Check out the Roney Palace as a hotel that is close to South Beach and is usually got very good rates. They have gorgeous apartment-style (marble,etc.) accomodations. Don't know what it's going for now. Back to Priceline...some people use CA for the state or country, leave out Province, and try 99999 for the zip. See if that works. Are you using American Express?