Search

San Diego to LA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego to LA

Any ideas about B&B, small inns or unique quiet hotels between San Diego and LA. On the ocean or inland. Something to satisfy the foodie in us with emphasis on nature and/or gardens. Out of the way is not a problem. We have 3 nights in last week of October. Hopefully we can keep this less than $250 nightly.
Old Jun 14th, 2014, 05:48 PM

My Q as one who lives here - why would you want to stop between SD and LA - as it's only 120 miles/2 hours or so without traffic?

If you want to get away - try the hills of Julian where they have good/decent food.

Otherwise - the SD coastal towns of La Jolla, Del Mar, Solano Beach, Carlsbad - and in Orange County - Laguna/Laguna Nigel should afford a number of good choices.

Or you could go to the spa at La Costa for a couple days/nights?
Old Jun 14th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your opinion. What we would like to do is meander along the back roads, not hit the main drag. I there are other suggestions around and even north of LA, that would be helpful too. Bottom line is our plane departs from LAX mid day on 10/31
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 03:38 AM

A little north of LA is one of my favorite areas - around Danish themed Solvang - just about 30 minutes above Santa Barbara - 2 hours from LAX without traffic. There are good wineries in the area. Some think Solvang is a bit touristy - but I still like it - or you can check out some of the smaller - nearby towns - and there are good wineries in the area - and the Lavendar farm is also fun to visit.

Just north of San Diego - east of Temecula - you might like the artist's colony of Idyllwild - where my in-law's lived for a time. Up in the trees - on the back side of Palm Springs Mt. Jacinto - with a lot of things to do - hiking, good dining, etc.

You might also like staying over by Escondido - and take in the Safari Park - formerly known as the Wild Animal Park - and the new Tiger Trail is amazing. Escondido has some good dining choices too - including nearby Rancho Bernardo, etc.
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 05:41 AM

Where are you going in LA?

It's important because if you take the 15, Temecula and Escondido, you'll end up not in LA but Riverside. You don't want to spend a good deal of time stuck in traffic.

What do you plan to do in Los Angeles.

If you are going to Los Angeles then you'll be taking the 5. There really isn't a back road, although you can take the 101 Coast Hwy for part of the drive.

For gardens, you can visit Quail gardens in Encinitas,

Carlsbad is a pretty little city.

The 101 is a highway that cuts through little cities and it's not without traffic and it ends and you'll have to get back on the 5.

When you hit Oceanside, you'll have to get on the 5. They have a nice little art museum and some pretty good eateries to boot, not to mention a lovely civic center complex.

You can pick up the 101 somewhere past Oceanside, watch for the signs and keep meandering.

Some people are interested in the old California missions and you will find them scattered along the drive up. There's one in San Juan Capistrano that's attractive.

Near Dana Point you'll come to a place where you can get on the 5 (then 73 to save time it's a toll road) or keep going along the 101 into Laguna, Newport Beach etc and Costa Mesa. Costa Mesa has an interesting architectural garden.

Whatever you do, don't drive during rush hour. There's no rushing, it's parking on the freeway.
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 10:15 AM

Last year we did SD to LA via Palm Springs..... We went a great route and we LOVED Palm Springs would you consider that? ( honestly I wouldn't consider stopping off SD to LA) whilst I know SD to PS is not direct it's a great journey.......and plenty to do in PS for a coup,e of days at least!
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ojai is nice, look at the Emerald Iguana Inn. The Olive farm is an interesting visit and the Olive oil is delicious. Several great restaurants in town. You could take one day for a drive up through Carpinteria to Santa Barbara, or in October the Santa Ynez wine country would be a nice full day, too. Even if you're not wine drinkers it's a nice drive. If you left Ojai at 9:30am, you would probably be at LAX between 10:45 -11am. Or leave at 9am and take a more scenic route to LAX down through Oxnard and Malibu. (LEaving any earlier would put you into L.A. traffic however).