Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Miami Beach Trip- March Break..13th to 19th.. Whats Best?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm planning to go on a trip in about two weeks, which will be from the 13th to the 19th to Miami. I have my 15 year old daughter, 13 year old son, husband and me going.. I would just like to know what hotel would be the best to stay at, where the best shopping is, and what restaurants are also really good in Miami. However, all of this has to be within reasonable pricing.

I have nothing planned so far for this trip, except for everyone getting into the car, and driving down all the way down to Miami. I am hoping that we'll be able to find a good hotel, and that our trip will turn out great, just like it has turned out last year.

Im actually beginning to worry about the hotels since I know from past experience that Miami hotels are VERY expensive...and it is my first time not booking before I go...

HELLPP!! can someone pleeassee give me some info...

Oh, and also my daughter wants to know where all of the good shopping in Miami is.

thannk you
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

anyyone
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

heeeelllpppppp
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

anybody wanna help?? any suggestions?? ANYTHING???? heellllooooooo
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:07 AM

joanna, Miami is a very expensive place. It is also a very large area, there is Miami, Miami Beach, North Miami Beach, Coral Gables, Cocoanut Grove. Why don't you narrow down where you want to stay? Or if your first priority is price, then why not go online and find a cheap hotel and stay there and make that your base camp.

And have you searched this site for all the other posts about Miami? I think everyone is tired of replying to these posts, especially the ones where "reasonable pricing" is an issue. In South Beach (actually a little north of Lincoln Road), check out the Abbey Hotel. It is a little far from the action but there is a trolley that goes to South Beach. In SB, the Shelbourne, the Blue Moon, the Essex are all budget. Maybe not the nicest but you can't afford the nicest.

The best cheap restaurant in Miami is Versailles, a cuban place in Calle Ocho.

Good luck.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Yes i have been to Miami before, and I know that there are different areas of Miami. I'm interested in the South Beach area. Throughout the past hour I've been deciding which hotel I want to stay at, and I think that the most reasonable one for me is the Sagamore. It includes a full kitchen in its suite, and is right on collins ave. which is very close to shopping and ocean dr...(i love ocean dr. ..has the best atmosphere)..and its beach..I think that I can afford a hotel which is around 300/per night..since I will have my own car and kitchen.. which means that I won't be renting a car, or will be going out for breakfast..or big dinners..I think the restaurants will be just fine for desserts or lunches. I don't really mind.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

I'm also scared about the weather. I know that the average around this time of year is around 72??..But I'm a bit iffy about that..
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Anyone? any suggestions??
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:50 AM
bamakelly

Hi Joanna. First, don't get impatient. Just put TTT ("to the top") when you want your thread to reappear at the top of the list. This forum is not so active that you'll get a whole bunch of replies in an hour. Try walking away for a few hours and coming back and you're likely to have a few replies.

Second, like Tandoori_Girl said, do a search. In fact you can click on my screen name and find a couple of threads about hotels in Miami Beach, which also include some responses about South Beach. There are a gagillion threads about hotels in South Beach. You'll find a lot just in recent weeks.

Good luck! I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Haha, Sorry about being so impatient, it's just that I've been really busy throught the best few days that I just want to get this whole trip planning thing done today since I have no time what-so-ever.

I am also new to this whole forum thing, which I find really great. Thanks for the advice about the "TTT". That really helps.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

*throught the "past" few days*..oops my mistake..
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:13 AM
bamakelly

No problem--we've all been there.

You might also want to look into parking at whichever hotel you decide on. Sometimes they charge you up to $20 daily for parking. There have bene some good tips on here on other thread also about best public parking to avoid this. Sorry I can't help you more specifically but a search should help.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:13 AM

I don't know what you'll find on such short notice in South Beach, especially during Spring Break. The Sagamore is a semi-luxury property, all-suite, quite nice. But at this late date, if you can get it, grab it. Reasonably-priced restaurants in South Beach? Do a search. This has been discussed hundreds of times.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:15 AM
GoTravel

I'm not sure what you are asking?

You've decided on the Sagmore because it is a suite with a kitchen. That sounds great. Driving down, you'll have your own car, that sounds great.

I think the average daily high mid March is warmer than 72 degrees. I would bet the average daily high is closer to 80.

Pools are heated.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

I guess I'm just going to have to book the Sagamore right now. I can't find a better deal than that. I don't really care about the pricing. It's just that as long as theres a beach within walking distance..shopping.. and restaurants, I'm fine. And also, the parking is starting to scare me, but in the end, I dont think I'm gunna care...Its a vacation, I'm just going to enjoy it. A parking bill of 20$/per night isn't going to ruin my vacation...So I don't really care.

Why is the parking so expensive there anyway??
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:23 AM

Parking is expensive because it's a popular place, first of all. Urban development is tightly controlled since it's a Historic District of architecturally-notable buildings. Hotels can't just knock down the nrighboring building to put up a parking lot. Practically all streets have metered or permit parking in South Beach, and almost all hotels use valet services for their guests. $20 is not extreme for hotel parking with in-and-out privileges.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Would it be cheaper to park my car on a meter than using the hotels parking??
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:33 AM
GoTravel

You really want to have to dick around with trying to find a metered spot, feed it quarters, hope time doesn't run out so it doesn't get towed, etc.

Plan on $20 per day for parking. I think metered is $14 a day. It isn't worth my time.

This is peak season in Miami. It is expensive. Hotels are expensive. Parking and food are expensive.

Are you sure you've been to Miami beach before?

Another part of Miami Beach may be a better fit for your family.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:34 AM

Er, no. And finding street parking is pretty unpredictable, and what if you just miss the meter maid?

There ARE public parking lots on side streets, but I don't think they offer in-and-out privileges, and they fill up quickly.

Paying for hotel parking is practical and convenient, and basically essential in South Beach during Spring Break.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Alright, thank you for your advice.

Yes I have been to South Beach before, but that was the summer that just passed. I didn't have any trouble with parking at all.

And plus, I won't be driving anywhere really since everything in South Beach is walking distance.I'll probably be leaving South Beach once or twice during my whole stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -