COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Miami Beach area in May

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 09:17 AM
lisa

Miami Beach area in May

Someone mentioned ocean lice in May.Sounds awful...tell me more.Also, are the hotels directly on the beach or is there a road to cross.I'm used to Myrtle beach where you walk right out of room onto the beach.Would N.Miami beach or Surfside be a better choice for that?I'm also hoping that the ocean will be warm enough to swim in,in May .We were in Melbourne last April(mid month) and it was heart-attack cold.Thanks for any info.....

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 06:27 AM
Flory

I live in SE Florida. I haven't run into any problems with ocean lice. The ocean will be plenty warm for swimming in May. Many of the hotel are directly on the beach.

The water temperature in SE Florida is determined by the Gulf Stream and is warm almost all of the year. By warm, I mean water temps of 80+. The warmest ocean temps are by Ft. Lauderdale as the Gulf Stream is the closest there.

I personally would NOT stay in Miami Beach. It is much nicer up by Ft. Laudedale.

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 08:16 AM
Patrick

Ten years ago I would have agreed with Flory that Ft. Lauderdale is better than Miami, but as a 25+ year resident of Florida (the West Coast), now I would disagree. We used to often go to Lauderdale for the weekend and would avoid Miami and Miami Beach. Now it is almost the opposite. Although Ft. Lauderdale has improved some in the past few years, (Las Olas Blvd. has made a major transformation for the better, for example,) Miami has done a complete turn around. South Beach is, of course, vibrant and exciting if you like great restaurants and lots of night life, but if you don't there is lots more in Miami. Depends upon your age group, and I'm sure Flory will yell at me here, but Ft. Lauderdale beach always seems to be predominantly old people and college kid drinkers. Miami these days is much more the "yuppie" and "beautiful people" crowd as well as their many retirees. To answer your question about hotels right on the beach. There are a few of those in northern and southern Ft. Lauderdale, but the center part has a very busy road dividing the hotels from the beach. South Beach in Miami has the same thing, although the bulk of Miami Beach proper (the more famous hotels like the Eden Roc, Fountainbleau, etc.) is right on the beach -- a very wide one these days at that.

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 06:59 AM
Mike

Re: Sea Lice: Lisa, we have been going to Delray Beach (about 1 hour North of Miami) in May for 15
years. I can tell you that from Mother's Day to Father's Day sea lice is almost always a problem in that area. They actually post sea lice warnings on the life guard towers (flags)! And there is a daily sea lice update! As a result,
we walk on the beach but never go in the water. We hang out @ the pool instead.
Having once been infected by sea lice it is not something that I would ever risk
again. Nasty! There is an environmental centre
called Gumbo Limbo south of Delray Beach
where you can call & get info. on sea lice.

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 12:38 PM
Flory

Patrick:

I am not going to yell at you. It is true that there are many seniors on the beaches but that is usually during snow bird season which is over in May. Also the college age drinkers are up in Daytona now. Ft. Lauderdale is no longer a major tourist destination but is more family oriented.

Don't get me wrong. I like Miami and believe that it offers much more culturally and entertainment wise. I speak Spanish fluently and really enjoy the Miami area. Unfortunately many folks do not. I will have to check out Miami beach otself. I haven't been there in a few years now. The last time I was there it was all old folks with a lot of rundown hotels.

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 01:47 PM
Patrick

No,Flory, guess you haven't been to Miami Beach in a while -- you described exactly what it was 10 or more years ago. Driving through the Deco district was sad indeed -- hundreds of old folks sitting on those metal chairs of the cheap retirement homes. It's a new world these days.
Last Friday night in Ft. Lauderdale after cocktails atop Pier 66 (we spent the night there after business during the day) we had some time before dinner at Mark's Las Olas --probably my favorite restaurant in all of Florida. We drove up along the beach and had to dodge the college age drinking crowd running out into the streets, dodging cars, drunk and loud. I doubt that most are college kids -- just college rejects. The old Elbo Room and the whole strip of bars along the main part of Ft. Lauderdale beach still seems to be inhabited by the young and the restless. I'm not trying to put down Ft. Lauderdale, just calling it like I see it.