MIAMI AIRPORT - 6+ HRS

Search

MIAMI AIRPORT - 6+ HRS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MIAMI AIRPORT - 6+ HRS

I am looking for suggestions on how to spend 6+ hrs at the Miami airport. We do not
want to rent a car or take a bus tour. Is there a beach within walking distance ? what else ? How much would a cab charge to go to the closet beach ? and what is the name of the beach ? thank you
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:03 AM

How are you fixed for cash? In theory, you can step out of MIA, hail a cab, and be on a beach in under 20 minutes (traffic willing). There are two expressways that pretty much make a beeline from the airport to Miami Beach, which is about nine miles away. The Dolphin Expressway will take you across the McArthur Causeway and put you in South Beach; the Airport Expressway will take you across the Julia Tuttle Causeway to the beach at 41st Street in Miami Beach. You can get a cab from both beaches back to the airport without much difficulty, although a cruising cab will be easier to find in South Beach.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the nine-mile trip will cost about $20 in each direction. Miami cabs aren't cheap.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:58 AM
GoTravel

I'd go to priceline and bid on a cheap motel room near the airport.

Traffic can be a nightmare trying to get to the beach. The logistics of that just sound trying.

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:58 AM

hi there - going by your previous posts, am assuming this long wait might be after your cruise? Even if not, another thing might be to check into a hotel that has a day rate, finding one close to the airport that has a free airport shuttle. I've done this - really nice way to relax by the pool and take a shower before flying home. (We stayed at the Wyndham Miami Airport just as an FYI).
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:30 PM
MightyIsis

There is a hotel inside the airport, but I can't recall what it is called, but I'm sure MIA airport has a website that will tell you. This hotel has a rooftop sundeck and pool, for which you may be able to purchase a day pass. Surrounding the sundeck/pool is an observation deck (free of charge) if you like to watch planes take off and land (but maybe not for 6 hours).

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 01:14 PM

The Doral Resort and Spa is very close to the airport. Maybe you can go there and get a massage.