Search

Mexican Riviera or western Caribbean?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexican Riviera or western Caribbean?

Hi all!
We're planning a cruise with 2 teen boys at the last minute for the winter break. We have 2 possible itineraries. First is New Orleans; Costa Maya; Santo Tomas De Castilla; Belize City; Cozumel on the Norwegian Sun and the second is Los Angeles; Acapulco; Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa; Puerto Vallarta; Cabo San Lucas on the Norwegian Star. Also possible is a cruise through the Hawaiian islands.
Anyone have an expereince they care to share about either the itineraries or the ships? We've gone Royal Caribbean but not NCL. We're hoping this will be a good, safe trip for all of us. Kids may even bring a friend. Appreciate anyone's help and advice!!
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 07:31 PM

You may get more help if you post on the cruise, rather than US, board. Good luck!
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Also post Latin America and Caribbean forums.

(I vote for the west coast of Mexico destinations because I love them so, but never been on a cruise to say about that part).
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 08:49 PM

Having been to the West Coast of Mexico as well as the Caribbean, I can say that if you want crystal clear waters and powder white sand, you'll want the Caribbean itinerary. If you want more of a cultural experience, take the cruise down the West Coast of Mexico. Please note that Puerto Vallarta's beaches are quite filthy although it's a decent town. Cabo San Lucas is beautiful, but it doesn't really have beaches as it's rocky. Cozumel is simply gorgeous and the beaches can't be beat.

Personally, I would pick a Caribbean cruise over any west Coast of Mexico cruise.

The New Orleans cruise would also give you the advantage of being able to stay over in New Orleans a night or two and take in the French Quarter and some good restaurants...

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:05 AM
JJ5

Be very aware of criteria for passports or identification, especially for kids who are not yours.

Cruise company "should" specify as there was another postponement for full passport requirement, I think. But do not assume that everything they tell you is absolutely the bottom line for children under 18 not your own, especially girls going into Mexico. Read all the fine print, call and check the kids' papers out yourself before you leave.

I saw lots of crying at the terminals when I did the Western Caribbean with a stop in Cozumel.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 07:04 AM

I strongly disagree that the beaches in Puerto Vallarta are "quite filthy". I vacation there 1-2 times every year and have for a decade now.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 09:47 AM

I guess it depends upon your standard. Having vacationed many times in the Caribbean, I tend to have have standards for beaches: talcum white powder and crystal clear waters. PV and Mazatlan (even worse) just didn't fit the bill. Don't take me wrong - they are nice cities, but they cannot even begin to compare to the Caribbean beachwise.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 06:32 AM

I agree-- but because the sand is not talcum powder white does not mean the beaches are "filthy"... just that the sand is a different color, as is the ocean water color.

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 08:28 AM
JJ5

So true, that beach description is so relative. Because I would think that is not the definition of filthy.

I'm not a beach person, and the varying descriptions send me around the bend at times. I think I like some rocky beaches best. LOL!