mesa verde lodging

Apr 22nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

mesa verde lodging

i'm looking for lodging recommendations near mesa verde. there will be two adults traveling with a 14 and 11 year old. something moderately priced with a pool would be great. we'll be traveling from fort collins on memorial day weekend. thanks!
Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:19 AM

It will be Cortez or in the Park. Durango is further to the east if you don't mind the drive and want a more touristy area.. We have stayed in Cortez 3 or 4 times at the same motel. There are several rather nice motels on the east side of town on US160. We picked the motel out of the AAA travel book, cannot remember the name but it did have a pool.. It was on a small hill just past the WalMart on the north side of US160 and was all white. I know that does not help much but that is the best I can do.. I know prices change but the last time we stayed there we paid $67+T.
Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:22 AM

It doesn't have a pool but Far View Lodge in Mesa Verde has location and fantastic views. Check on www.nps.gov then click on Colorado then MV
Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:30 AM

If you're able to get reservations this late, being in the park at Far View is the best. You'll be able to wander parts of the park after all the other tourists have left for the day, and you will be first in line for tickets the next day.
Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:03 PM

For touring the park I think the Far View Lodge (or camping) is the best option. Many years ago we stayed outside of the park and arrived late morning. The park was packed and the lines were long. We saw very little that day.

Two years ago we stayed at the Far View Lodge in a standard room which was okay for one night. It was very basic but it served the purpose for seeing the park without the crowds.

We arrived mid-afternoon and bought tour tickets for the last tour of Cliff House that evening and tickets for the first tour the next morning for Balcony House.

You may want to do this in reverse depending on the weather. According to the ranger, Balcony House is in the shade in the late afternoon and Cliff House gets the morning sun. We went in July and the ladder at Balcony house was hot by 9:15.

We left the park after our morning tour, had lunch in Telluride and then hit the Hot Springs pool in Glenwood Springs which made up for not having a pool in Mesa Verde.
Apr 23rd, 2009, 06:51 AM

We (family trip...two parents, two teens) went to Mesa Verde last summer. After considering the Holiday Inn Express in Cortez, I made the decision to stay in the park...it was pricey, but worth it. To get to any of the sites in the park is a horrendously long drive from any town. We just stayed one night, but were able to do a couple of tours the afternoon we arrived, then a couple more the next morning. At night, it is just beautiful, so still and many stars to see. We ate dinner in the beautiful restaurant, looking out at the incomparable view. Our room was in the "nicer" lodge, but still rather small. But we had a small balcony with lawn chairs to sit on in the evening and the amenities were nice. It's a cool place...one of the highlights of our trip and I don't regret paying the money to stay in the park.
Apr 23rd, 2009, 07:18 AM

I support all prior posts about staying in the Park. That is the ONLY way to go. It is more than worth the additional cost. It is long and slow drive into the park from Cortez. I think I remember that staying in the park gave you some priority for the tours. It has six, seven years so it is vague on this point.
Apr 23rd, 2009, 02:27 PM

We made a spur of the moment trip to Arches and Mesa Verde for Memorial Day weekend in 2007. By the time we decided to go, the only place we could get a room was in Cortez. I'm pretty sure we stayed at a Choice Hotels property, but I don't remember the name. It had an indoor pool and worked well for our kids.

It does take a little while to drive into Mesa Verde, but it was cheaper than staying in the park, and was fine for a day trip.

Lee Ann
Apr 24th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Also agree but just want to emphasize it again ... if you can stay at Far View Lodge, do it! Balconies with views that never end. Wildlife at your door.

The views are simply unmatched anywhere else. After a day of touring the park, grab dinner in the Metate Room and then head upstairs to the rooftop bar/patio for what is sure to be an amazing summer lightning show! Spectacular! They call it "Far View" for a reason.

Wishing you a wonderful trip!