Search

Mercer or Soho Gran

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 09:10 AM
Marie

Mercer or Soho Gran

Has anyone ever stayed at either the Mercer Hotel or the Soho Grand. My boyfriend and I are thinking about staying at one of these places and are wondering what they are like. Also, how are the neighborhoods that these hotels are located in. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks - Marie

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 12:07 PM
lisa

They are both in SoHo and it's a fab neighborhood. Lots of shopping, restaurants, potential celeb-spotting. Downside is it's a pricey area but if you're considering staying at these hotels then $ is not a consideration. The Mercer is the newer of the two. I have been in the lobby of the Mercer and it's very modern in design, with sleek understated decor, in a great location. This is a very exclusive place and the staff has a bit of that "and you are?...") attitude but I'm sure they're just protecting their clientele. The Mercer reportedly has a very good restaurant as well, although I've not eaten there.

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 06:16 AM
John

The Mercer is in a better location in terms of walking out your front door and getting a great feeling about what SoHo is. If you want to check out the SoHo grand, it's better to just have a drink in their bar.

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 09:09 AM
NYCer

I haven't stayed in either, but my mother has stayed in the Grand and reports it's extremely noisy (street noise, not fellow guests) and the rooms are tiny (this I can confirm). The only reason I have to assume the Mercer would be less noisy is that it's further from Canal Street. As for the restaurants, the food is good in both but I prefer the Grand and find it less noisy and less of an aggressive scene. I certainly don't mind celeb spotting, and at either hotel it's like shooting fish in a barrel, but at the Mercer the staff doesn't seem, as Lisa mentioned, to want to hide the fact that they are sizing you up and, if you're not Leonardo Dicaprio, finding you wanting.

If you stay at the Grand you can adopt a goldfish to stay in your room (the staff will feed it). In keeping with the rest of the place, these are the most fabulous goldfish you'll ever see.

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 03:23 PM
barbara

We stayed at the Mercer in December and loved the hotel. Service was excellant and we had a bathtub that far exceeded any I've ever seen. We did stay in a suite- which aren't really suites but large rooms. Overlooking the courtyard all was very quiet- 2 sets of french doors opened to juliet balconys. Price was high- 525.00 per night. Great location for SOHO and the subway.