mendocino B&B's and scenic drive down for flight out of San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love recommendations for 3-nt. stay in Mendocino, California B&B's. Especially Sea Rock Inn (where we have reservations) vs. Brewery Gulch Inn. Would like a fireplace in room and ocean view, preferably with balcony.
Also, leaving Mendocino on Thursday morning to drive down coast, leaving San Francisco around noon on Saturday. Suggestions re what to see and where to stay Thursday night and Friday night.
Thanks so much for any input!!!!!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Still wish someone would help me with this....especially about the part driving down leisurely from Mendocino to San Francisco....what to see, eat/dine/drink, and where to stay Thursday and Friday night before flying out of San Francisco early afternoon on Saturday.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 07:59 PM

I just spent a few days in Mendocino - but rented a house so can't help with the B&B question.

The drive down from Mendocino to SF is beautiful - if it's not too foggy to see much, which was the case for my drive back home. I only went as far as Bodega Bay and then turned inland on my way home, so perhaps it was clearer further south. There was some road construction around Sea Ranch and one lane was closed so that caused a bit of a delay.

But Bodega Bay is very pretty and Point Reyes is wonderful with lots of nice places to hike. Mt. Tam also has some nice hikes. I've never stayed overnight in this area as I used to live within driving distance.

I also like Armstrong Woods which is about maybe 30 minutes off of Highway 1, just north of Guerneville. There's some nice walks among the redwoods.

Mendocino is wonderful. It's one place where I can't help but relax, it is so peaceful and beautiful.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 08:06 PM

Also, Sonoma Coast State Park would be a lovely stop.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Shanti! I was just checking out Point Reyes re a nice place to stay. Do you think we could stay in that area on Thursday and Friday night and still make it to the SFA airport ok Saturday to check our rental car in before a noon flight? Or should we stay near the airport on Friday to make it safe???
Will also look at Sonoma Coast State Park....
Prefer to stay somewhere with a view and a fireplace!!!!
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 03:17 PM

We stayed at Tbe Inn ar Around Rousdstone Farm near Points Reyes on our honeymoon and loved it. Views of Mt. Wittenberg, Olema Valley, Inverness Ridge and Tomales Bay depending on the room. Great breakfasts.
With an early start it should be no problem to get down to SFO, turn in the car and catch your flight.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi boom_boom! Wish I had read your review earlier so I could have researched the Inn you mentioned. Sounds like the views were great!!!!
I just called and reserved a cottage at Fernando's Inn (it's rated #1 B&B on Tripadvisor and has some great reveiws.) No views, but pleasant garden area and rooms and facilities. 10-minute walk to the village.
Would love to know if you or Shanti can recommend restaurants in Point Reyes, Bodega Bay, or whatever. And scenic drives. Will have all day Friday to drive around!
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 06:08 PM

Pt Reyes Dining:
Osteria Stellina
Olema Inn
Station House Cafe

15 mins north on Hwy 1 in Marshall is the
not to miss Nick's Cove.

Pt.Reyes has some fabulous hikes if you want great scenery-
be sure to go out to the Lighthouse and consider a stroll
on Limintour Beach. You gotta get out of the car !

R5
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 08:24 PM

I responded with some more info on yr. first thread...
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you razzledazzle! You have really been helpful throughout this posting! I will definitely make note of the restaurants you mentioned!!!! And we are definitely going to try to stay out of the car as much as possible!!!!!! Love the idea of the stroll on the beach!!!!!