Memphis and New Orleans - weather and clothing in May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right, I've got my itinerary worked out with your help. Now I have to think about what clothes to pack! I realise it will be fairly hot and humid in the daytime, but what of the evening? is it short-sleeves or will I need a light jacket etc. Coming from UK, we get used to unpredictable weather, and we would like to be prepared. Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 05:58 AM

You will need a jacket or sweater if for no other reason than AIR CONDITIONING! Can't remember when in May you're going, but it could be coolish at night OR you could get a heat wave. Prepare for both & I'd bring a collapsible umbrella for spring showers.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Dan

McLaurie is right. While I never find it too cold because of air conditioning, my girlfriend always does! A light jacket is a good idea. Highs during the day will probably be mid-to-high 80s and lows in the 60s.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - my jacket will definitely go in then - with my brolly!
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 08:37 AM

My husband and I went to NO last May. We were there for a week and had a range of weather. There were a couple days with low humidity and temperatures in the low 70s, a day of on and off chilly rain, and a couple days of hot humid mornings followed by rainy afternoons and hot, humid evennings.

We brought layers and were fine.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 01:21 PM

Memphis reporting in

It's likely that you'll find warm weather, at least 20 degrees F warmer than in London. We were doing the same investigation last year for May when we came to London. I'd always heard that London could be rainy. I was surprised, in a way, that Memphis averages more than twice as much rain in May than London. 5.15 inches vs 2.2

You'll definitely be making use of that brolly here too. Duck into the Rum Boogie club on Beale to get a beer and a little bit of atmosphere if you're getting too wet. BUT... I have a major word of warning. There is a festival called Memphis In May that is huge and lasts most of the month. It's all around the Beale area and draws big crowds and major entertainment acts. There is also a full on music festival of local blues acts. Thje festival revolves around a major host country. This year is Korea.

Check the schedules on www.memphisinmay.org

You are sure to have a great time and tons of local food to sample, but get your hotel reservations in now. Do not delay! Seriously. It gets crowded.

Old Mar 31st, 2003, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Clifton: cheers for the tips! We booked our hotel way back last July, thank goodness we did.

Regarding your comments on the rain in London, I think it just shows that reports of it raining constantly are hugely exagerated, don't you ;O)

What shall we specifically look out for at the Festival on Beale St? any particular acts? Are there any areas to avoid when its busy. Thanks again!
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 04:04 PM

EnglishOne,
If you go to the website Clifton gave you www.memphisinmay.com the schedule will be listed of what's happening on what day. Most of the activity takes place on weekends. If you're not staying downtown at a hotel with parking, parking there will be very difficult. They should tell you on that website where there's parking with shuttle bus service to the downtown area.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 07:53 PM

Glad to be of help. You seem to have good tips on the Europe board, where I usually lurk, so wherever one can return a favor...

Actually, from what I've seen of London so far(just a brief visit) the moody weather was greatly misspoken. We had a nice spell of sunshine when we were there and with family in Northent. I look forward to a longer return someday.

I'd have to second mclaurie's suggestion for a shuttle bus. I would ask your hotel if they know of transporation going to the fair. With this being such and event (the whole city gets involved) surely they've dealt with the question many times.

The question of what to see when is going to come down to when you plan to be in town. I did myself try www.memphisinmay.com but I only reached a domain registration site. The info below comes from the www.memphisinmay.org site.

The music fest is May 2-4th and takes place on the banks of the Mississippi River in Tom Lee Park. Usually there are multiple stages. You must have tickets in advance that include all 3 days, which you can order online at www.ticketmaster.com. Currently billed lineup from the website:

Friday, May 2
Joe Cocker
John Mayer
Jonny Lang
India.Arie
Tommy Castro
Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown
Nappy Roots
Booker T & the MG's
Wilco
Mok-kyung Kim with
Blind Mississippi Morris
Big Star
Seether
Kirk Smithhart Band
Caitlin Cary
Kelley Hurt
Franky Perez

Saturday, May 3
3 Doors Down
Jerry Lee Lewis
Willie Nelson
Sheryl Crow
Steve Winwood
Pinetop Perkins
Richard Johnston
Susan Tedeschi
Ben Harper
Gap Band
Popa Chubby
Koko Taylor
Jack Johnson
RatDog
Anthony Gomes
Cory Branan
Ingram Hill
Little Milton
Mok-kyung Kim
with Blind Mississippi Morris
Graham Colton
Gomez
Donna the Buffalo
Robert 'Wolfman' Belfour
Bob Cheevers
Lucero

Sunday, May 4
ZZ Top
LL Cool J
Jimmy Thackery
Hubert Sumlin
North Mississippi Allstars
B 52's
Barkays
Robert Randolph & The Family Band
Jim Dickinson
T Model Ford
Nickel Creek
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Don Nix & Larry Raspberry
Mok-kyung Kim
with Blind Mississippi Morris
Precious Bryant
Billy Lee Riley
Matt Nathanson
Michelle Penn
Gamble Brothers Band
Evanescence

International Week is May 5-11. Educational events on all things Korean, such as dance and arts.

Barbeque Cooking contest May 15-17. I'll be cooking in one of the pits out there somewhere, I think. (more likely watching and getting in thw way) Memphis is world reknown for BBQ. It's a matter of pride.

Southern Food Festival - may 24th & 25th
The rest of the menu.

Sunset Symphony on the river backs on the night of the 25th.

I think all of downtown will be pretty busy. This, of course, means that if you were to sneak away to other attractions for a break, that you may have much more elbow room!
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

clifton, thanks for that. I have printed it out so I can absort it all later! Thats great.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

*absorb! sorry, typo
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Clifton: have checked out our itinerary and your details re; music fest, it looks great, I would like to see many listed, so can't wait for that. Unfortunately, we won't be there for the Korean part of the fest or your BBQ cooking! sounds like fun - don't burn anything and good luck!

PS can you add your favorite BBQ place in Memphis, as I will be missing the cook off? The 'rendevous' seems popular on a search on here.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:25 AM
MD4

Hi EnglishOne- I replied to a different post of yours for Memphis info, and just wanted to cast my vote for the Rendezvous (although I am interested in Clifton's thoughts, as BBQ can be a subject of great debate in Memphis). It has a great southern atmosphere- has been in the same place, only one location, for years, and not much has changed. It is located across Union from the Peabody Hotel. website: www.hogsfly.com

I'm a native Memphian (moved away 4 years ago) who doesn't make it home nearly enough, but I always make it home for the Memphis in May bbq to hang out with the team. See you there, Clifton!

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Another vote for Rendevous, eh? Good luck with the BBQ! Have just purchased my tickets for the Music Fest on Sat 3rd, I can't wait now....So much to see and do
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 03:23 PM

Sorry for taking a while to get back. I've been out and about (and I occasionally forget to click on my name to see if my history has been updated. I'm still such a newbie to Fodors.)

I'm glad you're going. The music fest sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun. As to BBQ, well, I'm going to defer to MD4 for that. A native Memphian is no one to argue with when it comes to BBQ and I'm actually a transplant from St. Louis as of a couple of years ago.

I used to like Corky's a lot, but they've gone to a volume business it's seems and I can tell the difference. I also like Neely's a lot. Everyone I know though that's a native seems to prefer the Rendezvous and I have still never made it. Looks like we are going to both have to try it!

Have tons of fun on your trip!
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:35 PM

Hi English:

If you are from the UK, the South will seem like the tropics. Should be high 80s, low 90s by then. Everyone is right the coolest weather you will experience will be in restaurants. I would suggest a windbreaker if it gets unusually cool - 50s.