Memory Tips for Dream Baseball Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is taking my husband's "dream trip" - seeing all the Major League ballparks on the east coast plus Cooperstown. We are trying to think of unique ways to "remember" the trip - so far all we have is to rate the hotdogs at each ballpark and to buy the same souvenier at each. I know there are some very creative folks reading this board - help me with some memory making ideas. I'd also appreciate any tips on specific parks (Fenway, Shea, Yankee, Camden Yards, Philadelphia, Atlanta and Tampa).
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 07:50 AM

Oriole Park @ Camden Yards has stadium tours of the ballpark, which, I've heard, are really interesting. Since the stadium is in the middle of the city, and doesn't loom over the surrounding neighborhoods, nearly as many seats are below street level, as are above it.

CY used the existing B&R Railroad Camden Yards warehouse as part of its design. The warehouse is 1/4 mile long, but only 25 feet wide. The windows on the first floors are bullet-proof glass for those (rare) balls that hit the warehouse.

Friends stayed at the Inner Harbor Marriott this weekend and had a view right into CY from their room on the 9th floor. And CY is only about four blocks from the Inner Harbour.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 08:24 AM

I would suggest taking lots of pictures, saving ticket stubs, and keeping any other memorabilia and putting it all into a scrapbook. Incorporating journaling into the scrapbook is also a great way to remember the event--write a little journal entry for every park visited/game watched. You can find cute scrapbook paper to put your pictures/ticket stubs on. I'm not sure if you have ever made a scrapbook before, but if not, it is a lot of fun.

I'm not sure if this is along the lines of what you are looking for, but it is a great way to keep memories alive!

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 08:30 AM

It's so funny that you posted this "dream trip" because my husband just said his dream trip would be to attend all the Major League ballparks on the east coast. Suppose all men think alike? Anyway, he thought this because we just got back from a Yankee game and had a fantastic time. We got some free souveniers by filling out a form for a credit card. I got a bobble head of Babe Ruth and he got a huge towel with Yankees 100th anniversary emblem on it. He is 45 years old and you would have thought he was 10 when he got that towel.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 09:12 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
What, no fish? (Don't forget Miami.)

Scorecards, filled out. Copy of the next morning's local paper's sports page.

Hot dog rankings are excellent. Also I think most parks sell beer or soda in some sort of commemorative cup/glass.

Can I come along?
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Maybe some sort of mascot contest. Which one spent the most time in the stands, who did the best gimmick, how many photos.

Or rate the 'theme' of the night (25-cent hotdogs, bobbleheads, etc.)

The most unusual item at the food court.

If you're driving, stop by and see the Durham Bulls (AAA), about half-way between Atlanta and Baltimore.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

These are great ideas - keep 'em coming. We are from Miami so that's why the Marlins aren't on the list.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 09:49 AM

You may be disappointed in Tampa. The stadium is pretty awful by MLB standards. I love the trip idea, though!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:20 AM

Camden Yards - since attendance is way down, you should be able to get great seats. However, we got seats that were too good. We bought club seats on-line and found the area to be only about 1/3 full and lacking in baseball atmosphere, although very good seats. Inner Harbor hotels are a safe walk to Park.

Fenway - seats are tough to come by, and if it is for this year you will get relegated to sections 3, 4, 5 in right field. These are terrible seats, as you are facing billboards and need to turn your body in an uncomfortable position in a tiny seat to see anything other than the outfield. If that is all you can get, the bleachers are better. If you have any extra time in Boston area, catch a game in Lowell, Pawtucket or Portland (Maine) for one of Red Sox farm teams.

If you are going to Cooperstown you might as well add Toronto. Skydome is a weird park, and the tour is one of the most interesting we have been on as they explain the roof opening procedure. I might stay at the Skydome hotel to complete the odd experience. The hotel is built around the ballpark so the hallways are endless and the rooms actually have a fair amount of exposed concrete. You might even pay extra for one of the rooms that gives you a view of the game from your room.

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:47 AM

Sounds like a great trip! We've seen most of the ballparks out west -it was the 'bait' i first used to get hubby clark into road-tripping!

We're big in remembering trips too, so we buy a couple soda's in souviner cups from each park and often use them for picnics at home, etc.

Son rusty also buys keychains from each ballpark, and 8 X 10 postcard-type pics of each ballpark, which adorn his bedroom walls.

Have a great time!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 02:05 PM

Get at least 2 brochures when you pick them up. So if you cut out pictures/words you don't miss the stuff on the back. I love saving my ticket stubs.

For the earth be sure your souvenirs are useful - not something you are going to throw away. We collect magnets and/or christmas ornaments then you get to see them every year.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 03:59 PM

siem1111, are you a scrapbooker? If so, you have found a new friend. I love scrapbooking and think this is an excellent suggestion for keysmom. Save everything, ticket stubs, flyers, take out menus from the restaurants that you went to while visiting each place, plus great photos, and whatever else...put them all together and you've got a great memory book that you'll love looking at again and again. Have fun!!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

The trip is underway! The blackout altered our travel plans a bit - we flew into Newark instead of LGA on Friday. It was a long cab ride but we made it to the game by the bottom of the first inning. We are buying "logo" baseballs at each park. Also rating the parks - hotdog, beer, other food, seats (no cupholders is a 3 point deduction!), bathrooms, fun stuff, architecture, etc. Veteran's stadium was Saturday, Camden Yards Sunday. Now off to Cooperstown and then Boston. We end with the Yankees. I must admit that Friday am I was not confident that the trip would work but it's been great!