Search

memorial day wk in new orleans

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
memorial day wk in new orleans

Hello,
I am considering taking my wife to NO for a surprise 30th b-day present. I would love some suggestions as to what to do/where to stay, etc. Normally, we will do 1 or 2 things (museums, zoo) a day on vacation and then have a nice dinner. The wife is not a big partier (sp?), but I will have her out for a couple of nights on Bourbon. I like the idea of walking most places and a nice hotel is a must. Most rooms i have seen were under 150-200/nt and that is fine. I would like a nice pool and maybe a decent gym at any hotel. Thanks a lot!
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:56 PM

There have been quite a few recent discussions on this board about hotels and activities in New Orleans. Use the search function at the top of the page, type in "New Orleans" and you'll find lots of stuff.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:31 AM

A pool for sure, as NO can be very hot and humid by the end of May. The aquarium, art museum, D-Day museum are all good choices, and air-conditioned, whereas the zoo - would probably be best to go in the morning when it opens.

I would suggest having a hurricane or drink at the piano bar at Pat O'Brien's, which is on St Peter between Bourbon and Royal Streets. It's fun, reasonably-priced, gets you out, but away from the crowds on Bourbon street.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. I have seen all the recent posts on the hotels, but was just curious about a really nice pool set-up. Great ideas BelleReve!
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:58 AM

Hi jpgal3,
My BF and I had a fabulous dinner at the Riverview? restaurant on the top floor of the Marriott on Canal.
It IS a nice hotel, but there was some construction going on a few of the floors when we were there and the noise bothered me.
BTW, there are two Marriotts on Canal. I am not talking about the JW Marriot.
However, we will be back to dine at the restaurant again. Romantic, candlelit, view of the river, and excellent food.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:02 AM

I'm not sure when you are going, but I just booked the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon for avg rate of $144/night. It is a lovely hotel with the BEST location and has great rooftop pool and courtyard. I booked it via the hotel's website. I've been asking a lot of NO questions, so if you click on my screen name it should lead you to lots of info.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:36 AM

The Royal Sonesta was a great choice, your'e in the heart of the French Quarter and close to everything. There's a restaurant in the Royal Sonesta called Begue's, that supposedly has a fantastic seafood buffet on Fridays(popular with locals,so you know it's good) and great breakfasts the rest of the time, including a Sunday brunch. I've heard so many good things about Begue's, but haven't been yet.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded. I ended up getting us a room and the Royal Sonesta for $134.00 a night. Not too bad! I'll check into upgrades when we get there Friday. My wife is more excited than me and she doesn't even know the city we are going to for the weekend. Surprise!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:49 PM

(As of now) you're going to have good weather. Last weekend was mid-90's! This coming weekend should be mid 80's w/ only 30% chance of rain. Don't let that discourage you - that could be a 10 minute shower. In which case you just duck into a bar.

If you are looking for good music in a more laid back atmosphere, check out the Frenchmen Street area.

Have a great time and tell her Happy 30th!