Search

May in Glacier NP?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May in Glacier NP?

My husband and I have an opportunity to use a friend's time shrae near Glacier the first week of May. I know that some of the park may not be open and that the GTTS road may be partially closed.

I was wondering if anyone here has visited at that time and their thoughts. Should we wait to go at another time of year?

Thanks
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 01:24 PM

Actually, the GTTS road will only beopen partway; the rest will definitely be closed. This is from the park website:

"Plowing on the Going-to-the-Sun Road begins in April. Ten miles of the Going-to-the-Sun Road (from park headquarters at West Glacier to Lake McDonald Lodge) are maintained throughout the winter providing access to winter recreation opportunities at the head of the lake. Due to road rehabilitation, for the next 8-10 years, weather permitting, the entire Going-to-the-Sun Road will be open for public vehicle access from mid-June to mid-September.

"Other park roads generally open in May, weather permitting."

So you could drive partway on the GTTS road, but to get to the east side of the park you would have to go around on the southern route.

Still, it might be well worth a visit. I think the wildlife viewing opportunities might be greater in May, before the crowds arrive.

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks enzian,

I've visited Yellowstone and Grand Tetons in May and the wildlife viewing was fantastic at that time, even though lots of the facilties were closed.

That's what we were hoping for Glacier as well. We always like to travel off season to avoid the crowds as much as possible.

Thanks again.

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 05:00 PM

At that time of year you won't see much of the park. IMHO the best part of the park is the Alpine section which won't open till approx. first of July. All facilties in the Park will also be closed save for the visitors center at Apgar on the west side.
Should we have a mild early spring , part of the "closed" (closed to vehicles) road will be plowed and open to hikers and bikers possibly as far as the loop. Before that the road is open all the way to x country skiers and snowshoers.
However if you are getting this condo at a "close friend price" come on out un May!!!
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

John,

Thanks for your reply.

We are hoping to at least do some day hiking and wildlife viewing in the park. Perhaps try some snowshoeing? My husband also wants to golf [outside the park of course].

I am not familiar with the Alpine section, so I am not sure what I will be missing!

I think we are going to go for it. Its a great opportunity to see a beautiful part of the country that both of us want to see.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 08:27 AM

Okay, come on out. Snowshoe rentals are easy and inexpensive to rent. If the the GTTS road is plowed you can walk the road or bike it without fear of motorized traffic for quite a distance normally as far as the loop, which is a LONG way on foot.
I'm not a golfer but here are a few web sites for courses. All are within a half hour or so of the Park.

golfbuffalohill.com
montanagolf.com
bigmountainclub.com
golfmt.com
golfwhitefish.com
meadowlakegolf.com

Looks like you'll have to enter these web sites yourself.
Have a great visit

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much John!