Mauii or Kawai in late May

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mauii or Kawai in late May

We have about 10 days; was thinking two to see Pearl Harbor and then what do you think? Try to do both, or just one? are they all that different?
We love to snorkel, walk, hike, bike, and eat!
THanks!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:18 PM

OMG bobandvee, not sure if you read your last inquiry at
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34972521
but if you see suze's post, the correct spelling is Maui and Kauai, which will help you when doing a search for information on these two places, if nothing else. All 8 islands are different, yes.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 03:03 PM

Our first trip to Hawaii 3 years ago (number two coming up in 6 weeks!) we did Oahu and the Big Island. We have relatives who have gone to Maui and loved it, but it seems to me to be a bit "overwhelmed by the mainland" in a way that even Honolulu isn't. By that I mean it sounds so commercialized. (Granted, I haven't been there, but from everything I've been told...)

Stay in Honolulu. See the Arizona, walk the strip along Waikiki, and climb Diamondhead. You will always remember them as some of the best times in your life.

Then spend as much time as you can on the BI. There are 23 or 24 types of habitats on earth. It's said that there are 21 of them on the BI. We went in May, and threw snowballs on Mauna Kea! I have a picture of my footy prints in snow- in Hawaii! This was two days after I posed next to 2000 degree lava! We hiked through rainforests and were amazed by deserts, and everything in between. My vote - 4 days on Oahu, 6 on the Big Island.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:18 PM

I was just on Maui (my 12th or 13th trip to the islands) and I just don't get all this "overcommercialized" talk that you hear! Sure, parts of it are busy and have a heavy concentration of hotels and tourist services...but that is not the entire island. What about Hana? Paia? Makawao? Makena? Napili? Just as Oahu is not all Honolulu and Waikiki, Maui is not all Lahaina and Kaanapali.

I am a huge fan of the peace and quiet on Kaua'i and even I ended up loving our cottage on Maui. Heck, there was even a rooster crowing away at 5am every morning just like on Kaua'i!

Maui is a large and extremely diverse island. To write the entire island off as overcommercialized is uninformed and incorrect.

-Bill
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think 3 islands is too many for 10 days. I would pick Oahu (Pearl Harbor) & Maui for a 1st trip.

The islands are all different, but in my opinion, that's no reason to try to see them all and find yourself rushing around.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would not take island advice from someone who hasn't even been there!!!

Sorry birdergirl, but most people make suggestions based on someplace they have actually been themselves, not rumor from a cranky relative
;-)suze
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:17 AM

We did 2 days in Oahu, 4 in Big Island & 5 in Maui a couple of years ago. I wanted to get to see both Big Island & Maui since I wasn't sure when we would go back but I wish we had one more day in each place. A two week trip would have been perfect but 10 days did feel a bit rushed. That said, I don't think I would have wanted to miss out on either place, since they are indeed different though Maui was my favorite. This year we are going to Kaui for a week, I hope that will feel more relaxing! It depends on whether you feel you will be going back soon & if you want a really laid back vacation, if so, I would do Oahu & one more island.