Maui with teenagers in August

Old Jul 12th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui with teenagers in August

My husband and I have been to Maui before, but this time we are taking our kids ages 15 and 19. We are staying in a condo in Lahaina. Has anyone done zip lining and if so, which company? Also, which is the best company for the Haleakala bike tour, which is the best snorkel cruise, and finally, which is the best luau?
Any other suggestions for active teenagers?
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 03:19 PM

My friends with teenagers have always loved the Trilogy boats -- they liked the trip to Lanai:

http://www.sailtrilogy.com/
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM

People have died on Haleakala bike tours, and you can have fabulous snorkeling for free from myriad beaches...just saying.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 03:25 PM

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...710040356.html

“Per KHNL, Maui Memorial Hospital reports seeing “at least two to five injured cyclists in their emergency room each week with broken bones or facial injuries from their downhill ride�? at Haleakala. ”

http://www.govisithawaii.com/2007/08...or-august-5th/

Originally posted at: Another Warning on Haleakala Bike Tours http://www.govisithawaii.com/2007/09...#ixzz1Rw7q80BB
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 04:30 AM

We did a bike ride down Haleakala with Aloha Bike Tours www.mauibike.com several years ago and had a great and safe time with our teenagers. There were many bike companies flying down that mountain in groups and I could see how many could be injured.

The owner, Marc Friezner who used to run all the rides (you could ask if he still does that) would point out dangerous riders as we drove up the mountain. Marc emphasized that this ride was not a race but should be enjoyed. He urged us to pull over to the side to take photos, stop along the way and especially to pull over when these large groups came whizzing by.

Marc has lived on Maui for maybe thirty years, is a member of several bike clubs, won the Race to the Top of Haleakala when he was younger, and runs what we felt was a very safe trip.

I just checked out his website to make sure he was still in business and it looks like the trip has changed a bit. They used to meet for a breakfast picnic at 8?? at Rice Park in Kula. We actually did the sunrise ourselves--we only went up to the Leleiwi Overlook (left Kaanapali at 3:45 and were at the overlook at 5:30) Watched the sunrise and then headed down to Kula Park. I see they offer the sunrise now.

They still offer a trip that starts at 9AM. I think one of the benefits is that by that time many of the groups have already passed the entrance of the park where you start.

With Aloha, each group rides down with just their own family or group of friends. The van follows in case there is a problem and there were a couple of check in points on the ride down. When we got to the Flower Farm, there is a hill that heads up toward the Ranch. Marc will put your bike in the van and take you up the hill if you don't want to ride up. The ride through the ranch is really beautiful with spectacular views before you reach the winery. At the winery Marc and his wife Karen used to have a picnic lunch waiting for us. I don't see that on their website so I think they may have changed the trip a bit.

They also offered a 48 hour cancellation. I would never want to do this trip in the rain. We had a beautiful, clear day. We also visited in August. (just a note: it was freezing, even in August, at the top for the sunrise--take a blanket or dress warmly if doing the sunrise)
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Aloha! I live on Maui and have two teenagers. I think the best Zipline is Piiholo Ranch Zipline, the best snorkel cruise is with the Pacific Whale Foundation the trip where you do Molokini and Lanai (you will see dolphins on Lanai), the best luau is the Old lahaina Luau. www.mauifamilymagazine.com has some great ideas on what to on maui as well. Hana is fun for teenagers especially if they are adventurous. I recommend staying one night at the wainapanapa cabins (quite rustic-State park) this will break up the trip and there is a beautiful black sand beach and caves to swim in. Then I recommend doing a horse back riding tour with Maui Stables- very Hawaiian and a gorgeous trail ride in the National Park. Hike and swim at the seven pools, swim at Hamoa beach and then head back out of Hana. Doing Hana in one day really isn't much fun so try and break it up if you can. Paia town is very fun for teenagers. Eat at Flatbread Pizza and cruise the town. I also recommend going to Black Rock beach in front of the Sheraton Hotel in Kaanapali. lots of local teenagers jump off the rock and it is lots of fun to watch and the snorkeling is awesome there. Have a fabulous trip and enjoy Maui with your teenagers
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone for the good information. I did book the Piiholo Ranch zipline and the cruise with Pacific Whale Foundation per your advice Mauifamily...Thanks. With so much to do, I think I'll skip the bike ride since we have lots of that in California (thanks Sylvia3) The kids are so excited.