Maui--Westin or Sheraton?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Maui in March for 6 nights for our 10th anniversary. We've narrowed down our hotle choices to the Westin or Sheraton. We've researched and researched and can't make up our minds! Any suggestions? Also when should we book for March? I'm only seeing package deals through December currently. No special offers yet for March. (I know this is prime spring break season, but when you have someone willing to watch your kids for 7 days, beggers can't be chosers!) Thanks!
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:32 PM

We stayed at Westin and really liked it.

There are several threads on here asking the same question:

fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1&tid=35089112

fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1&tid=34955308

fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1&tid=35002659

fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1&tid=34927393

fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1&tid=34925660

Also, check out tripadvisor.com

Deb
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:40 PM

I'd go with the Westin only because it is closer to Whalers Village (shopping, restaurants and ocean activities). It also has a nicer pool.

I wouldn't wait too long to make reservations. Spring break could mean full occupancy.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 04:38 AM

samtraveler:
I also stayed at the Westin end of May for 5 days and absolutely loved it! As offlady mentioned it is closer to the Whaler. Not sure what you have in mind to do while there but if you get a chance see the stargazing show at the Hyatt (also walking distance from Westin) I thought it was really nice and I understand on Fridays and Saturdays at 11:00 p.m. they have a couples only tour and they give you champagne and strawberries. Not sure if money is any issue to you but, if already know it¡¦s either Sheraton or Westin I would book (right now) which ever offers you the best deal, honestly I would not wait too much longer as you mentioned it is Spring Break, I¡¦d book one now and keep checking if something better (in terms of prices) comes up cancel the other. It¡¦s better to have 1 bird in hand than 100 flying ƒº. Hope this helps and have a great time in Maui.
P.S. if you don¡¦t already have it buy (on amazon usually cheaper) Maui Revealed, it was a great source of hidden gems as they called them.
Gina
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I've already been all over the posts here and on tripadvisor (and have read Maui Revealed cover to cover), which actually partially explains my indecision--so many good points about both properties everywhere I research. I did got ahead with a booking as suggested, but with the idea of possibily changing if I find a better offer. I booked a breakfast car deal at the Sheraton in a Mountain View room for $447 a night including taxes on Eexpedia. If I could find a similar deal at the Westin I might consider that. The one negative I read more than once about the Westin is the small rooms and how thin the walls are (I'm a light sleeper). I know we're likely to be happy at either property, so perhaps I'm splitting hairs! Thanks for the help.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Costco does an incredible package for the Westin - low rate, and great buffet breakfast !!
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 02:00 PM

There is a shuttle bus between the 2 hotels [and Westin Ocean Villas too]. You can use any of the facilities at any of the other properties EXCEPT the Pools. [The westin Pools are really great].

The rooms at Westin were being redone when we there 10/06.

Not sure about Sheraton, but Westin has daily resort fee [about $25 per day] which irked me and didn't really include anything special.
Deb
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

All the big resorts charge these resort fees, so that's more or less of a wash when deciding. I checked Costco and they only have a 7-night package, which isn't useful for our 6-night trip. I guess I'm just going to have to hold out until the 07' packages expire and keep checking to see if they add '08 packages. If I could find a comparable package at the Westin that I have booked at the Sheraton, I would probably switch. Which resort is better suited for couples? We plan on doing a little snorkeling, relaxing on the beach, swimming and enjoying relaxing meals (without the kids!). Thanks!
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 10:08 AM

I think you will be very happy at the Sheraton. The beach at that end of Kaanapali is much nicer, snorkeling right out the door at Black Rock is great, and it is still only a few minutes' walk to Whaler's Village.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 10:36 AM
mrt

I stayed at the Sheraton at Black Rock. The Westin and the Sheraton are like night and day. The Westin is a superior hotel.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 12:23 PM
dmlove

I've never stayed at either the Sheraton or the Westin, but have walked around both when staying elsewhere in Kaanapali. I understand that the rooms at the Sheraton are a little plain, but the grounds/pools are pleasant and very relaxing. The beach is great and of course it is right at Black Rock (meaning snorkeling is just a few feet away). The Westin is more "bling" -- the pools are great resort pools (presumably that's why they no longer allow Sheraton guests to use the Westin pools); in general, it's just a fancier hotel. The Westin is a bit closer to Whaler's Village, but both are in walking distance. In non-concrete terms, I'd say the Westin is a 4* (maybe plus, depending on how well the rooms have been kept up and the quality of hotel services) hotel and the Sheraton a 3* (maybe plus, depends on how well the rooms have been maintained).

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 05:02 AM

On a girls trip, we stayed at the Westin last January and loved it...beautiful rooms, lovely grounds, fantastic pool.

However, there wasn't a beach to speak of. Because of the waves, they wouldn't let us put the beach chairs on the narrow beach because it was dangerous. The Sheraton had a very nice, wide beach. About 8 years ago my husband and I stayed at the Sheraton Black Rock and loved it.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 07:37 AM
dmlove

The waves probably don't cover as much of the beach in March as they do in January. When we were there in August (even fewer waves), the beach was quite nice all the way from the Hyatt to the Sheraton (it does widen around the Sheraton, but that doesn't mean it isn't nice all along).