Search

Maui versus Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Tom

Maui versus Kauai

Does anyone have any thoughts on Maui versus Kauai? Meeting friends in Oahu later, so more interested in sights than great nightlife. Also, appreciate any hotel recommendations (prefer nice comfortable quiet places). Thanks

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Suzie

Maui is a great active place that has many beautiful sights to see. Kauai is much quieter with beautiful scenery. It's always difficult to identify the differrences between the two but they really have their own distinct personalities. Since you're going to Oahu later I'd pick Kauai. If you want quieter places you might try a condo. Many are right on the ocean. What time of year are you going?

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Tom

Thanks Suzie. Going over Thanksgiving. We'll have to do some research on each.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Suzie

I just went to Kauai in Sept and stayed in a condo on the beach near Poipu. While we visited the north shore we were glad we stayed in Poipu at theat time of year. In November it will be the beginning of the rainy season so you may want to choose the south side but that is up to you. Posters here have their preferences and the south is mine. Two books that may help you to decide are The Ultimate Guide to Kauai and Maui Revealed. Check out www.wizardpub.com for a preview of these books.

We've decided to go to Maui in Sept this year because we're taking the kids. If you aren't, then Kauai may be the place for you.

Seriously though, there is no going wrong when you go to Hawaii!!!!!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:03 AM
What

For me the difference is this. The most incredible natural beauty on Maui is at the end of the road to Hana or in the flower patches at different hikes along the way. This is a drive, I never remember just staying somewhere in Paradise on Maui always driving to it. Hana too has a dreamy quality to it with its sometimes foggy overcast days sounds worst than I intend. The image I have is of emerald green fields with horses eating carrots form my hand. I also like the night life on Maui, not a bar hopper but it is nice to stroll down that stip in Lahaina.

Kauai there is not a strip to speak of to stroll down but you wake up in Natural beauty. Wake up in Hanalei and all you need is a cup of coffee to head a few blocks to a great beach with Mountains as your back drop. Head 5 minutes north by car and you are at tunnels beach or keke beach.

So for me it is a hard call even though I am heading back for my third year in a row to Kauai. I want to head over and see that Old Lahaina Lua on Maui but the North SHore of Kauai always beckons my presence.

Poipu can understand how people would not choose Kauai over any island here. Can't imagine basing my holiday here but to each their own.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:36 PM
hawaiian

PLEASE put the final "u" on LUAU. Otheriwise it's a trip to the outhouse.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 03:12 AM
deb

If you are going to be in Maui over Easter, I want to share one of the most special things we did on our trip -- went to a church in Lahaina for Easter services. It was wonderful. The Tongan men's choir visited to sing, we heard a lot about the different island cultures, the service was meaningful and at the end everyone sang the Hawaiian song that the Queen (whose name I won't even try to spell) favored. It is a favorite memory of our trip to Hawaii. I would definitely do that again if I were there over Easter.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 12:52 PM
linda

Another suggestion if you're going to be in Maui for Easter...if you're in the Wailea area....the sunrise service outdoors on Wailea Ike Drive is wonderful.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Wahine

Both Islands are very "Hawaii". They have their own personalities. Maui has more nightlife and Kauai is very gentle.
I go to Hawaii atleast twice a year, and like other postings, you can't go wrong being in paradise.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:31 PM
Brenda

Definitely Kauai. So beautiful, laid back if you want quiet, but never boring. Just the right flavor for a tropical getaway with an old Hawaii feel.