Maui Trip Report!

Old Apr 19th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Maui Trip Report!

My husband and I just returned from a week in Maui and it was our first time and it was AMAZING!

We stayed at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas. It was beautiful. Our one-bedroom villa was fantastic. The pool and the nearby beach were great. I can't say enough good things. It was great having a kitchen and we stocked up with food at Star Market, which was fun and saved money.

Now - I'll just go through the days...

Day 1 - Eco Adventures Zipline in Ka'anapali - this was a lot of fun. The guides were fantastic. There were 8 lines - the longest being over 1100 feet. It was awesome. That night we went to the Old Lahaina Luau. I have to say this was probably the worst part of the trip! The food was awful, the entertainment was lame, and the drinks were bad. We went because we thought we were in Hawaii and we "HAD" to go to a luau. Not true! I forgot to mention we did have breakfast a Java Jazz and Soup Nuts - this was a great spot.

Day 2 - Sunrise at Haleakala - this was pretty neat, although very cold. I'm glad we did it, although we did not need a tour. If I were to do it again, I would go on our on. We used Ekahi Tours. The tour guide was really annoying, got us to the top too early, and told us on the way up we would not be stopping for breakfast and gave us each $10 back. I thought this was somewhat rude and very lame. After a nap and some quality pool time, we had dinner at Lahaina Grill. It was good, but not amazing. See more about our favorite meals later on.

Day 3 - Road to Hana - we loved this day! We drove the entire way, and are so glad we did! It totally would not be worth it to stop in Hana and turn around. We liked stopping at the black sand and red sand beaches. We also stopped for lunch at an awesome taco stand - I had marlin and my husband had pork tacos - amazing! It took a full day - but this was a highlight of the trip. We walked around Lahaina that night and ate at Kimo's, which I would not recommend.

Day 4 - We took a Trilogy snorkeling cruise to Lanai. I loved this! The staff was great. I had never been snorkeling before and the captain spent a good deal of time with us in the water teaching. The lunch was good and catamaran was great - a really fun day. Dinner at Sensei - sushi was yum.

Day 5 - We drove drove the "wrong way" to Paia, up around the North side going east. This was another amazing (although slightly scary) drive. We stopped at Julia's stand and had THE BEST BANANA BREAD EVER. We also shopped in a great craft shop at the top of a hill. Totally worth the drive. We had dinner in Paia at Milagros. This meal (and the next two dinners) all tie for our favorite meals. The Ahi Fajitas were amazing. So were the margaritas and mojitos! I highly recommend Milagros for the best Mexican in Maui! Our tour guide on the zipline recommended it to us. This was probably our only restaurant where the locals outnumbered the tourists. We walked around Paia and had Ono Gelato for dessert - very yummy!!!!

Day 6 - We basically just chilled on the beach this day. We walked down the beach to the Sheraton and had lunch there. We had dinner at Pacific O and it was fantastic! We got a table right next the beach and the food was amazing - really fresh. high quality, and innovative. We had dessert at Uluami shaved ice on Front Street - best shaved ice on Maui!

Day 7 - Our last day (sad!) - we had massages at the Heavenly Spa at the hotel and it was indeed heavenly. We just hung out at the pool. Our last dinner was at Mama's Fish House. After such great dinners at Pacific O and Milagros - we weren't sure Mama's could live up to the hype - but it did! The view and the service were fantastic and our meals were amazing. It was the perfect ending to an amazing trip!

Let me know if you have any questions!
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the trip report. After ignoring all the Hawaii posts for years, I'm now hanging on every word with the anxiety of my 5 weeks in Hawaii Sept/Oct.

Sounds like that is the zip line to do -- a must, as I've never done one.

And I do have a question -- does anyone ever NOT like their meal at Mama's? Other than a few complaints about how expensive it is, it seems everyone raves. Thanks too for the negative points.

Was the Trilogy trip to Molokai, or just out in the water?
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM

This may have been your first trip to Maui, but judging by your enthusiasm it won't be the last! Thanks for the report.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 04:06 PM

I always eat at Milagros, their wraps are fabulous and HUGE. I love Paia. I always like to spend some time at Maui Hands gallery. Wonderful art, crafts, and jewelry from locals. I have a few pices from there. Maui is a great island.

I have eaten at Mama's, and I wasn't blown away by the food, but that's always subjective and I think a lot more people like it than don't. I think you should eat there Patrick. The setting is beautiful, the staff are very nice, service is good, and you might love it at many others do. Go for lunch maybe, if you don't want to do dinner.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the trip report! Can you give some detail about the zipline tour. I am finally recovering from a pinched nerve in my lower back/hip and am concerned that this type of activity might bother me. What is your opinion?
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 08:09 PM

Great report, thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM

Lunch at Mama's mo bettah than dinnah.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 09:08 AM

iamq, "mo bettah"? or just "mo cheapah"?
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 11:50 AM

Same dallah almost, but bettah because you can see da watah and da fishies.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 12:40 PM

Oky Dokey. Lunch sound mo bettah. Just hope I don't start talking funny when I go to Maui!!!
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Very happy to share! In response to questions -

We did the Sunrise Trip to Lanai with Trilogy - we did a quick tour of the island, it was great, and the beach was pretty secluded. However, I believe there is a similar one to Molokai.

The zipline was not strenous at all - just a little scary if you are timid about heights! The actual ziplining had no negative effect on my body - however - there is about half mile or so of hiking between the ziplines - and you have to keep the gear on, so you'll feel a bit weighted down.

We did Mama's for an early dinner and saw the sunset - totally worth it!
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 05:20 PM

Fantastic report. Mahalo for sharing your adventures.

Another fan of Mama's for da view in da afternoon.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the info, larad. And, thanks iamq for the tip of having lunch at Mama's. I'd like da view of da watah and da fishies.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 07:57 PM

Thanks for sharing and bring back my memories of my 25 yr anni dinner at Pacific O! Glad you had a great trip!
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 11:19 PM

Great report..prefer Mama's at lunch or sunset..gotta see the da ocean bro!
Mahalo
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:47 AM

larad, thanks for your wonderful trip report. I love reading trip reports that display such enthusiasm as yours!

Aloha
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 09:01 AM

Thanks for sharing! I am going in May. My husband and I want to do the road to Hana too but we were thinking of driving there and back to our hotel (making a day trip out of it). I have gotten much advice about "spending the night" at Hana b/c we will be too tired, but it sounds like you made a whole day out of it and weren't exhausted...is this the case?
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 09:19 AM

NP, I haven't done it, but friends have -- the Trilogy trip is, I think, to Molokini (not Molokai) and is just snorkeling. The trip to Lanai, is a combination of snorkeling, picnicking and visiting Lanai town. My friends did the latter trip and thought it was fabulous, including the food (breakfast and lunch) which was served on the boat (breakfast) and beach (lunch).
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 04:29 PM

You're right of course. I was thinking of the Lanai trip when I posted thinking it was Molokai. Maybe after I actually go to Hawaii, I'll be able to remember which is which! The Lanai trip with Trilogy sounds really nice to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO