Search

Maui-Ritz Carlton

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 01:38 PM
JJP12

Maui-Ritz Carlton

We are thinking about going to the Ritz Carlton in Maui for our honeymoon in June 2002. Are we making a good choice? I read that it tends to get windy, is this true?

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 02:20 PM
e

I think there are MUCH better choices on Maui---Four Seasons, Grand Wailea,Kea Lani, Kapulua Bay, to name a few.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Brent

Kapalua Bay is NOT better than the Ritz Kapalua....it's older and darker, but with all the same weather downsides as the Ritz. Better beach, but that's a minor point.

Read through the archives JJP12.
The Ritz is a very nice place (though the decor and such don't 'fit' in Hawaii), but it wouldn't be my choice for a really special trip, like a honeymoon.
I'd choose Wailea (and did for our wedding).

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 06:34 PM
e

For the record Kapulua Bay Beach is one of the finest stretches of sand anywhere in the world. I hardly think that is a minor point. And although KB might not rival the super resorts, it has its own quiet elequence, and has much more class than the RC. And, I didn't list it as the first choice, just a better one. JMO.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 07:23 PM
Brent

Oh come on, e.
I've stayed at both the RC and KB.
The beach is the only thing KB has over the Ritz.
To say that the KB is 'classier' doesn't even make sense. If by 'class' you mean 'authentic Hawaiian ambience', that I'll grant you. But that's not equivalent to class as the dictionary defines it.
As for the KB being a 'better choice', there are definitely people who prefer the KB over the RC. You're not alone on that one. But comparing the two head to head, the large majority of people I've met and people who post here still prefer the RC if one is going to stay in Kapalua.
Are you a travel agent?
You made a comment on the post about south Maui, stating that you've 'sent numerous people to Mana Kai condos' to stay.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 08:39 PM
e

No, not a TA, just a traveler who loves Maui. Whether we agree or not on the RC vs KB, I think that we both agree they could do better, probably at the Four Seasons or Grand Wailea. PS--- As far as decent priced condos go in the Wailea/Kihei area, I am a HUGE fan of the Mana Kai.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 12:06 AM
Alan

"e," I wholeheartedly agree with Brent! The RC is much classier and more beautiful than KB and is most certainly the equivalent of the other resorts you mentioned!! And, while the beach at KB is certainly nice, compared to MOST beaches around the world it actually is near the BOTTOM of the list, but still a nice beach, though -- don't misunderstand me! And if one is staying at the RC one can easily walk to KB for the calmer water, which, I must admit Brent, is Numero Uno in my book when seeking out a beach resort (the BEACH, that is)!!

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 10:56 AM
clemm

I spent my honeymoon at the Ritz in Kapalua and the experience was 100% sublime. Upon our haggard arrival from the east coast, we were promptly upgraded at no extra charge to the club level which was incredible--snacks and cocktails gratis throughout the night and day, private concierge, box lunch for the trip to Hana, etc. I heard the beach at the Ritz wasn't nice before we went and was concerned. I guess if you don't like having someone bring you a cold, mentholated wash cloth while sunbathing underneath the palm and ironwood trees, you're out of luck. Kapalua Bay is a beautiful beach too--an easy walk or free shuttle ride from the Ritz. Besides, the Ritz and Kapalua Bay are both a short walk to the BEST sushi in the entire US, Sansei. You can keep Wailea--crowded beaches, hotels stacked on top of one another, etc--I'll take Kapalua any day.