Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are two women in our 50's wanting to see both of these national parks in early June. I was told to use Jackson Hole as a base and tour from there. Is this a good idea? We have about 6 days available.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 07:33 PM

I think you spend too much time driving to and fro by basing in Jackson. Look at Signal Mountain Lodge, Jackson Lake Lodge or Flagg Ranch Resort in the Teton area. OR, base in Yellowstone at the Old Faithfull Inn.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 07:50 PM

With 6 days it may be best to spend 3 days at each park. The drive between them is significant.

Early June is an unpredictable time of the year- could be snow, or slush at Yellowstone. If you plan to hike this maybe important. But it will be nice and cool.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 10:57 PM

We were there this past july. Even with record crowds, we didnt' notice. I did hear that June is definitely colder in the evening.

We sayed 4 nights at Roosevelt/Tower in a little cabin, 4 nights at the bigger snow lodge cabins and 2 nights at Signal Lodge.

I agree that Jackson is too far from Yellowstone to make it a base.
If you want to see animals, I'd try to get 2 nights at Tower/Roosevelt or, if not that, then at Mammoth (the stuff at Canyon didn't look so good). You can do a first day of driving on your way there, look for animals in Lamar Valley at dusk and dawn, go for a 2 hour horse back ride (nice loop) or cowboy cook out (reserve early for this) at Tower/Roosevelt. Hang out on the porch of the Roosevelt Lodge and chat with others. Then a couple of nights near old faithful. If you like mudpots and rainbow pools, there is a lot to see. Check out the Old Faithfull Inn, even if just to look at, if youlike natioanl park architecture. And go to whatever ranger talks you can fit in. The interpretive rangers at that park are just top notch.

Then do the long drive down to signal lodge. If you are interested in native american crafts and culture, the museum at Coulter Bay is a gem. The new natural history museum at Moose is very nicely done. There is also a new LEED Certified (Platinum) visitor's center near Moose (ask around) on lnad donated by the Rockafellars. If you are interested in green architecture, you'd find this place intersting, although it is quite small. Grand Tetons is breathtaking and the changing light on the mountains is fascinating. Oxbow pullout is a nice place to be just before dawn to look for wildlife, as is the back road from Moose to Jackson hole (Moose-Wilson Road?).
Then on the last day, drive back to the airport.
We saw big bunches of animals in YNP, but more variety just near the river in GTNP.
Oh, and bring you spotting scope and 2 pairs of binos. We got a scope and tall tripod from Eagle Optics online before we left and were SO glad to have them for just hanging out at pullouts with other animal lovers. Sigh. Can't wait to go back. Next time I going to do a course with the Yellowstone Institute.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Some people say there's no need to actually stay overnight at YNP that you can see the highlights in one long day. If we stay in the park, i guess maybe two full days would be reasonable? Then maybe, four full days exploring jackson and GTNP. Any recommendations on an upscale hotel/resort in jackson?
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 03:17 PM

You really should read all of the information that you'll find doing a search here of Yellowstone and Grand Teton. There is no way that you'll see all the highlights in YNP in one long day. YNP is much larger than GTNP. Having been to all three locations, I would spend 3-4 nights in Yellowstone, 2-3 nights in Grand Teton. Jackson is probably worth a day trip from Grand Teton.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:08 PM

Having been to both Parks, I agree totally that basing in Jackson won't work. I also agree that you cannot see all the highlights of YNP in a day, even a long one. In my opinion, you'd be hard pressed to see them all in 2 days.

However, not knowing what your interests are or what you want to get out of this trip, it isn't for me to tell you how to break up your time. I know how I'd do it. (Did do it, actually.) But that was based on my needs and wants.

I second KathyK's suggestion that you search the posts here and decide what suits your needs. You'll find tons of great info, trip reports, etc. Then, if you still have questions, come back and ask them and someone (probably several someones) will answer you.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 02:38 AM

Whoever "some people" and "we were told" are, they are not giving you good information. GTNP is a long narrow Park with one road that goes north-south. You must drive on this road to get to YNP, which is contiguous with GTNP.
Then within YNP there is a "figure 8" road configuration. According to Mapquest it take over 4 hours just to drive straight thru from Jackson to Gardiner (the northernmost part of YNP). BUT - that presumes there would be no delays - and that is not a reasonable presumption since traffic and animal jams would reasonably double that time. And that is without seeing anything - just driving.

You can also not see the highlights in one long day - unless your idea of seeing highlights and one-long day involves driving from Jackson, see Old Faithful, and turning around seeing everything else from the car.

The very nature of YNP is that one must get out of the car and walk (not necessarily hike - walk) along a path of no more than 1/4 mile - although there is certainly more to see if one walks a longer distance or hikes (we are not hikers and did just fine).

With 6 days an ideal arrangement would be 2 in Jackson and 2 each in 2 other places in YNP - but you could "get away" with those 4 nites in a somewhat central location mid-YNP.

We are not picking on you - but why take the time and money (flights into Jackson tned to be very expensive) and miss most of the Parks.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 05:41 AM

We have visited the Greater Yellowstone area at least 20 times since the early 80's and there has always been road construction to contend with. The few short summer months is the only time they can do this.. I know there was a lot of road construction this year and I doubt that next year will be any different. Even at the very best the going is very slow in that area.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 05:52 AM

I don't agree with spending equal time in Jackson, YNP and GTNP. While Jackson is a nice little town, it hardly deserves equal visiting time with either of the two national parks. I'd split it up with 3 days in YNP, 2 in GTNP and perhaps one in Jackson. Still, it'll leave you wanting more time in both national parks.
Oh yes, and definitely stay in the parks rather than Jackson.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 06:01 AM

I did not suggest equal time in Jackson and Parks - I figured 2 nights in Jackson, one of which would be arrival day - and then 4 nights total in YNP - but all of us continue to agree Jackson is not a workable base fo YNP.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:05 AM

It sounds like maybe you are thinking about Jackson because you want something upscale. Upscale doesn't exist in the parks, other than Jenny Lake Lodge. You have to decide whether you want luxury accommodations and are willing to spend a lot of time in the car or whether you really want to see the parks. Yellowstone is huge. I think it would be unpleasant to see it driving each day from Jackson. You could see GTNP from Jackson.

National Park lodging for the most part is pretty bare bones. I know some disagree, but I also think the restaurants tend to be average and overpriced. However, I LOVE staying inside the parks! There is nothing like waking up at Old Faithful Lodge, sitting out on the second floor balcony with a cup of coffee, and watching the plumes of steam in the geyser basin or watching Old Faithful erupt. The best time to spot wildlife is in the early morning and evening. You will miss this if you are staying all the way down in Jackson. Also, the parks quiet down in the evening, giving them an entirely different feel. If you really want to see the parks, stay inside them and save the luxury resort for a different trip.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 05:00 AM

hi: first of all your in for a great trip.
my wife and i spend 3 months camping in the northwest back in 2007 ( june-july-august). i would not make base camp in jackson hole--the drive to the tetons would not be bad but it is a long drive into yellowstone from jackson hole. if it were me i would book at old faithful lodge where you are close to the hot springs and mud pots and then spend one of my days and drive into the tetons thru the south entrance
do some looking around and drive back into yelowstone later that day==if your a hiker then you might want to book into the grand teton lodge and spend a couple of days there the book into yellowstone for the rest of your trip.
that your camera and lots of film or your digital camera with
a big memory cards because there will be thousands of photo
spots. well i hope you enjoy your trip and your days are fun of sunshine. if you have any questions please feel free to email me--if anyone out there has question about these places please email me--my wife and i spent 27 days in yellowstone
one week in the grand tetons and a week in galcier ntl, park.
[email protected] refence--yellowstone park
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 07:50 AM

vivischatzi, you're getting good advice here. With six days available, I'd spend one day at most in Jackson, two in Grand Teton, and three in Yellowstone. And I'd stay in the parks.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 04:11 AM

Yellowstone in one long day??? We spent 6 days in YNP and felt like we just barely scratched the surface. Spend your first night in Jackson, drive through Grand Tetons on your way to YNP, spend 3-4 nights in YNP and your last in Tetons. Don't base yourself in one spot - stay in park lodging if you can. Signal Mtn Lodge in Tetons is a great place to stay. It helps to stay a few nights on the north side and south side of YNP to see the entire park.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 09:56 PM

My sister and I are spending 6 days doing YNP and Grand Tetons. It's our final day/night in Jackson (our base for Grand Tetons) so I speak with some very current 'authority'. We economize on our travels so my suggestions are for those on a light/moderate budget.

3 days in YNP and 3 days in Grand Tetons is ideal. (4 in YNP/2 in Tetons may be better--allow for driving and stopping along the way). For YNP, stay at least one night inside the park (more if you can afford it). We stayed one night in Mammoth (Frontier Cabin at a reasonable cost) and 2 nights in West Yellowstone outside of the park, very close to west park entrance (Best Western Weston Inn is a very decent and affordable motel, b'fast and hot tub included). You will have to drive about 30 minutes inside YNP to get to closest site area (Old Faithful) if you stay outside the park, so be prepared for driving everyday. One night in the park was very cool--we had a close encounter with a bison in Mammoth (bison was almost on our cabin porch)--it was a highlight of our stay.
In Grand Teton, you can stay in Jackson to get the town flavor--we stayed at Ranch Inn (great price, b'fast and hot tub included). Jackson has lots of interesting shopping (good for a break or an evening stroll) and great dining options--Bubba's BBQ, The Bunnery, Snake River Brewery) and it's an easy drive to all GT areas. DO the hike to Inspiration Point at Jenny Lake (hike one way and take ferry one way).

View wildlife whenever you see cars pulled over on the roadside, but esp. at sunrise and sunset--the rangers can tell you where to go and they are RIGHT. And, if there are any ranger programs 'on' while oyu're visiting, DO THEM. It brings the park 'alive' for you. Check out the evening (5-8pm) viewing caravan that leaves from Moose Visitor's Center. You must sign up in advance (same day is ok) and the ranger will lead you and 9 other cars to great viewing areas. We saw elk herds (bugling since it's mating season), beavers building a dam (amazing!), a moose bull, antelope herds.....wow. And it's all FREE!

Enjoy,It's a magnificent, varied and fascinating experience to be here. Email me if you want to chat further.
[email protected]
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 10:01 PM

Forgot to mention in the posting I just submitted that my sister and I are also in our early 50s....we kept a good pace morning 'til dinner. Bring good hiking shoes and layers (for cold nights and cool days). Intermix hikes with boardwalk walks in YNP and with scenic drives in GT. And if you like hot tubs, my hotel suggestions work well--no-frills motels that are very clean, have wifi, TV, good-sized rooms, basic breakfast (easy way to start the day) and hot tubs, a great way to end an event-ful day.