Notices

Maui places I must eat at...

Old Oct 16th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui places I must eat at...

Please offer up suggestions! I'm getting ready for a trip over Thanksgiving with a friend of mine, and we would love suggestions on where we should go -- upscale, midscale, and cheap places welcome!

Further, we are also hoping to track down somewhere to eat on Thankgiving. We'll probably be staying in the West Maui vacinity. Good tips? When should we make reservations? Is it already too late?

Thanks!
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 07:44 PM

My all time favorite is Roy's Bar & Grill. You have to try their chocolate souffle - it's hands-down the best I've ever had. My favorite dish their is the Macadamia Nut encrusted opakapaka (red snapper). - But, basically, anything you have there will be excellent. And, of course, any seafood you have on Maui is the freshest.

Another recomendation is Sensei - Japanese cuisine. They have award-winning shrimpcakes that are just awesome.

I love Maui! We try to go every year and never miss these two restaurants.

For inexpensive cuisine, you can try Aloha Mixed Plate on Front Street in La Haina. Awesome local type food - grilled ribs, chicken, fish, etc, all for under $10. There's also Dolly's pizza in Kahana. Inexpensive, Great pizza and wings, pitchers of beer. etc.

Have fun!
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 08:10 PM

This site has a great dining section:

www.mauihawaii.org

Also for dining guide and Maui maps:

www.driveguidemagazines.com
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 08:57 PM

The gazebo in Napili for an ocean view, open air breakfast!
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 08:57 PM

The Gazebo in Napili for an ocean view, open air breakfast!
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 09:00 PM

The Feast at Lele on Front Street, also oceanside. Not your typical luau. Definitely reserve in advance, asap, as guests are seated i first come first served re: order in which you made reservations.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 03:11 AM

Any one of the Roy's would be great for upscale dining, also Nick's Fishmarket is excellent.

For mid-range, we liked Hula Grill and Cheeseburgers in Paradise.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:58 AM
bonniebroad

I really enjoy Roy's, wherever I find one ... the entrees and the wonderful chocolate souffle (simply the BEST! ) I enjoyed eating on the water at Lahaina Fish Co., good food at a moderate price, fun atmosphere. The place I was underwhelmed with was The Hula Grill, mentioned by many, but I thought, while the atmosphere was lots of fun (right on the sand), the food was just okay. My favorite breakfasts on Maui were eaten at the Renaissance Wailea breakfast buffet ... the best Eggs Benedict ever! Have a great trip ...

Old Oct 17th, 2005, 08:16 AM

I loved the tasting menu at David Paul's. No view, loud restaurant, fabulous food.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Mamas Fish House! And I don't like seafood. The waitress was wondering who the person was who didn't like seafood b/c we all cleaned our plates.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 09:22 AM

Was wondering when someone would post for Mama's, an overpriced (way) and overhyped restaurant. If you must, do lunch rather than dinner, then maybe you can afford to eat a few more meals elsewhere...
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 09:41 AM

Laelani's for their fish tacos.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 10:33 AM

The Paia Fishmarket serves huge portions at reasonable prices. We ordered an Ahi plate that was big enough to share. Kimo's was also good for a fish dinner. Yes, Mama's Fishhouse is overpriced, but the food is excellent. I had great salmon at Sansei. The only restaurant we didn't have time to try was Roy's. There's one out here though, so we can try this one. The coconut shrimp at Aloha Mixed Plate is very good and reasonably priced. B.J's Pizza is good also.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 11:40 AM

I second Roy's and Sansei. Another outstanding restaurant, right on the beach in Lahaina, is I'o (see www.iomaui.com) Incredible seafood and beautiful garden setting.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 11:55 AM

We had fabulous meals at David Pauls and at Nick's Fishmarket. David Pauls could be a good option for Thanksgiving, if they do it.

We also loved Stella Blues, in Kihei, but wouldn't be convenient if you are in West Maui.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:44 PM

Roy's in Kihei is fantastic. The tasting menu is a great deal. Mamas is good for lunch - dinner is way too pricey. The best deal... Maui Community College at lunch. Lunch is served from 11 am until 1 pm by the cooking school students. The food is fabulous and the prices are great. A Cobb Salad and a Grilled Ahi sandwich cost $10. Ummm, at Mama's the grilled Ahi sandwich cost $28. However, you are sitting on the beach at Mama's and not in a cafeteria. The college also has lots of take out food available. On Wed & Friday they have a price fixe menu ($25) for a 5 course dinner in their fancy restaurant "Class Acts" We didn't get a chance to go there, but it looked great. For Mexican food, check out Enriquez in South Kihei near the Dolphin Plaza. It's authentic and cheap and you can bring your own beer.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 07:15 PM

Longhi's in Lahaina
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 02:40 PM

David Pauls Lahaina Grill, Pineapple Grill at the Kapalua resort, Kimo's-in Lahaina, and the Hula Grill near Whaler's Village and a road trip to Mama's Fish House. Kimos & Hula Grill were moderate priced & the others were expensive. But, well worth ever cent. Enjoy!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 05:04 PM

I agree with both Roy's Kahana and Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar. Also try a wonderful new restaurant called Pineapple Grill at the Kapalua Bay Course Club House, Pizza Paradiso in Honokowai for excellent pizza, cheese steaks, etc., Gerard's in Lahaina town is very romantic - great ambiance - and the Old Lahaina Luau. For breakfast and lunch try The Gazebo in Napili, oceanfront, casual & quaint dining. If you get over to the Kihei/Wailea area, try Capische?, an Italian restaurant at Diamond Resort - good food and gorgeous views - Mulligan's on the Blue and Seawatch Restaurant, both in Wailea, and the Waterfront Restaurant in Maalaea. Mama's Fish House is nice, but very expensive. Hope this helps a little.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 07:09 PM

I have been to Maui 4 times now and my favorite eating spots have been out of the trucks on the side of the road on the way to Makena Beach...call me crazy - but i love eating the fresh fruit grown from the garden along with the local fish of the day grilled up so hot and yummy!! This is the kinda food you don't get at home, I can have a big fancy meal at any restaurant within a few miles of my house. But i llloooovvveeee the adventure of these little ma and pa joints! (and no i have never gotten sick from one of these side of the road places...)

There is also a great Vietnamese Restaurant in Wailuki called A Saigon Cafe. 1792 Main St. 808.243.9560 there is no sign on the restaurant at all so it is kinda tricky to find but the food is AMAZING!! It is a great place to eat lunch after taking a look at Iao needle. Not expensive and full of locals. My kind of place...the green mango salad is to die for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO