Reload this Page >

Maui or Oahu with a Toddler?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Laura

My husband and I want to visit Hawaii this November with our son, who will be nearly two then. I have read such good reviews of how family friendly the Four Seasons is in Maui, but I also like the sound of the Kahala Mandarin near Waikiki. Since we'll have less than a week, I would love for us to stay somewhere we wouldn't need a car, but perhaps could site see by bike, or on foot. Could anyone suggest which place is more toddler friendly?- if not these two, another location?

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 04:43 AM
xxx

Kahala Mandarin but I can't imagine that you would not want a car for some days. I like to have one handy. Oahu has a lot to see and do. It is not as rural as the outer island and many have this image in their head when they come to Hawaii.

Kahala has shuttles into waikiki but I don't know of any 5 star resorts outside of Waikiki where you can explore nearby areas on foot.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 01:48 PM
e

Nearly all the resorts are "kid friendly", but if the choice is Maui or Oahu, its a no brainer------Maui(and my choice would be the Grand Wailea or the Hyatt with kids).

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 11:59 AM
nanette

We have stayed at the Grand Wailea on Maui and loved it, BUT our oldest was 14 and youngest 2yrs. It it THE place for the 5 and up aged kids, but the beach is not good for the 2 year old (very windy with sand blowing in little eyes and very rocky sand).

The Kahala Mandarin was perfect for the 2 year old but a bit slow paced for the 14 yr. old. They have a wonderful sandy lagoon with hammocks and covered chaises right on the water and very near to the "family" rooms. Sand castle building and just playing in the sand and water without waves is the perfect relaxing vacation for 2 year olds and their parents!!!!

We did opt for a car though. It's not that expensive and fun to try the different restaurants within 20 min. drive.

You can walk the coast from the Kahala and pass wonderful exclusive homes that are right on the water.

This is where they have a dolphin experience. This is fun even for Mom or Dad (I think the age minimum is 6 yrs.). It was about $60 if I remember correctly. Great photo opportunity!

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Lenore

If you definitely don't want to rent a car, then your only choice is Oahu. They have a good bus system, taxis are everywhere and there are other transportation options as well. A car is a necessity in Maui, unless you plan to never leave your resort. The Grand Wailea (Maui) looked like it would be great for families with a huge pool and slide system throughout the property.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Laura

Wow! Thank you so much for these suggestions! It's helped us considerably, and now I think we're sold on the Kahala Mandarin! At least for this trip -- Is it very rainy on Oahu in November?