Reload this Page >

Maui: Kea Lani v. Four Seasons

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 02:09 AM
Steve

Can't decide between these two! The Four Seasons, of course, has a solid reputation, but on the other hand, the Kea Lani looks SO MUCH MORE interesting and fascinating as a total property! Comments? Thanks!

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 04:07 AM
annemarie

Hi, there...we stayed at the Kea Lani a few years ago and it was gorgeous. The suites are beautiful, the bathrooms are huge, the pool area is interesting. We walked next door for drinks to the FS a couple of times...they are neighbours. Pros and cons? You would have more kids at the KL because it is a suite property and the pool area is tiered and has a couple of small slides. Because each room has a suite, people don't usually need the service you might get at a regular property. We used the KL's Caffe Ciao a lot for pizza, coffee, sandwiches, gourmet cold salads, etc. and it was really good. Their formal dining area was beautiful but totally empty when we stayed there...don't know if it was any good. The FS caters to its customers more. You need to know that cabana by the pool are inc. in the rates(75.00 daily at the KL), snorkelling gear daily is inc., as is tennis and use of their fitness centre. KL has no spa/sports facilities(not that I can recall). FS has been repeatedly voted the top hotel chain internationally. I do know people that have stayed there and said it was great. They have one of the best dining spots there(their regular all day coffee shop has great food). You can walk over to the KL and use their Caffe Ciao and sit in the lounge areas by the lobby overlooking the pool. I still think the FS is the best...great bathrooms, large rooms, people can't do enough for you there. Grab a Frommers Maui and read the comparing descriptions as well as a couple others. Does this help?

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 05:07 AM
Roger

Went through this same debate for my honeymoon last April. Went with the Four Seasons even though it cost quite a bit more when we went. We were glad that we did. The set up of the FS with the beach and pool combined with the service made for such a wonderful experience. Very intimate environment where we got to know several people around the pool and beach as the week progressed. Even though it may not show up in brochures, the grounds and lobby at the FS are wonderful with everything easy to get to and in close proximity to the beach (Kea Lani pool further from beach). The FS also had these wonderful isolated lounges set in the ridge between the pool and beach. We started sitting there but moved to the pool when we started to get to know people.

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 09:33 AM
Ellen

Steve,
We also when through the same debate for our honeymoon last September. We ultimately chose the Four Seasons and were very glad that we did. The service at the Four Seasons is outstanding. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are lovely and spacious. Also, as Annemarie stated, a lot of extras (cabanas, snorkeling gear and parking) are included in the room rate at the FS. I was told that you had to pay extra for these things at the Kea Lani.
The Four Seasons really is in a league of its own.

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 02:42 PM
Jason

I also can't pick between two hotels. 4 Seasons and the Ritz. The problem is that the only room we can get at the 4 Seasons is the mountain view. At the Ritz we can get the DlX Oceanview room. The weather should be great at both locations in May, so that is not a problem. I just wonder about going all the way from Atlanta to Maui and looking at the parking lot out the window. Has anyone stayed in either of these hotels in these room categories? Opinions? ideas?

Thanks

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 01:13 AM
Sarane

Agree about the Four Seasons with one major exception: For the money you pay there, I think most of the views from a majority of the rooms are just awful -- that is, if a view is important to you as it is to me! Otherwise, I would opt for the Ritz or the Kea Lani, or both (split time between them)!

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 08:43 AM
Jennifer

I had the same delema when setting up my honeymoon! We opted for the Kea Lani, and were so happy we did. The Four Seasons was next door and we walked over to check it out. We were disapointed at what we saw. The place was too big and the pool and beach very uninviting.

The Kea Lani was fun and alive! Yes there were kids there but they didn't pose a problem. The service was impecable! WE had a limo at our disposal, fabulous staff and Resturaunts!! Especially Nick's Fish House!! We went back twice! The rooms were spectacular! and what a view from our wrap-around Lani(balcony)! We spend many enjoyable sunsets there!

As far as The Ritz Carlton goes. I heard of many bad experiences there, since it is on the rainy side of the island.

My experience ----- a big name does not always mean the very best. Being a NYer we opted for casual elagance, instead of a hoity-toity name brand!

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 12:38 PM
elaine

Hi, I just got back myself. Checked out both hotels. The Four Seasons has all around excellent food in its more "serious" restaurants around the pool
(don't worry, casual dress is fine)
Nick's Fish House in the Kea Lani is also excellent.
I'm sure either hotel would be fine, the Wailea area is wonderful.
To support another comment made above,
my sister stayed at the Ritz a couple of years ago and found it to be rainy, and very windy even when sunny. It's a different climate up there.

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 09:54 AM
Roger

We had a garden view at the FS which essentially meant no view. I actually think a mountain view might be better (at least people can't see you from across the courtyard). A friend stayed at the Ritz and he complained that the ocean view wasn't that great. Many people will tell you that the FS will upgrade you if you are on your honeymoon. Don't count on it. In our case we were fine with it because we had an ocean view at the Princeville which was spectacular. Just a comment on the atmosphere at the FS. You should not be concerned about any attitude which might be infered from the hoity-toity reference in another post. It really had a very friendly and intimate atmosphere.

Old Mar 29th, 2000, 05:17 AM
Ellen

I just want to agree with Roger; the atmosphere at the Four Seasons was not at all hoity-toity but rather relaxed, intimate and friendly. Not surprising since the FS is known for its fine customer service. I agree about the garden rooms as well. They do indeed face each other across a courtyard. However, we lucked out because of where our room was situated. Our garden view room faced a beautiful (nearly private) little garden. We just loved it. I wish I could remember the room number so I could pass it on.