Maui/Kauai Trip Report

Search

Maui/Kauai Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui/Kauai Trip Report

We left Houston on 6/18 with a direct flight to Maui. It was our anniversary, so I had arranged for us to get "lei'ed" at the airport! This was our first time to visit Hawaii, and our first major vacation of more than 3 nights without kids in 5 years.

Rented a Mustang convertible from Hertz, which they had to change out a couple of days later because of an electric problem that could have caused the battery to drain. Really enjoyed the convertible, but had to remember to wear a hat and sunscreen when driving topless.

Hotel:
Checked in at the Whaler @ Kaanapali. I had booked via Aston's website rather than an individual since we were there for only 5 nights, and most like to get a week. We had a 1BR, oceanfront...unit 451. It was a very nice condo with a delicious view. The only improvement could have been a little bit higher floor, but I can't complain. They knew it was our anniversary and had left champagne and glasses in the fridge along with a pineapple. We really enjoyed Kaanapali and the Whaler. We really didn't use the kitchen much, but would have if the kids had been with us (next time...maybe LOL)

Excursions:
We snorkeled at Black Rock, and that was pretty nice, but we had nothing to compare to at that point. We also drove to Hana and back, but my wife starting getting a little carsick, so we stopped at Hana town. We did, however, drive/hike down to Blue Pool. That was a very good sidetrip, as was Keanae Penninsula for banana bread and views. Visited Big Beach, but the surf was really up that day, and it was unswimmable....really pretty though. We did the Molokini snorkel/sail with Paragon Charters. Their second boat is still in drydock, so they had to call our hotel to reschedule us, but were very accomodating and friendly. I highly recommend their trip, and we heard from some others that their Lanai trip is even better. Finally, we did the Old Lahaina Luau. I was prepared to NOT like it, and was pleasantly surprised. A really well-done show and meal, with REALLY good drinks (i.e. strong pours!...be careful if driving)

Dining:
We actually ate several meals at Hula Grill and Leilani's as they were close to the room, and we never made reservations except to eat inside one night at Leilani's. The food was very good at both, and the drinks were delicious, though pricey, as well. If it makes a difference to you, Hula Grill has live entertainment outside and Leilani's does not. Had a Cheeseburger in Paradise, too. A decent meal, though nothing really special.

Flew to Kauai on the 23rd on Hawaiian Air. We were both selected by TSA for the "VIP treatment" with full luggage searches/swabbings. Did I pay extra for that? Anyway, we rented a jeep from Thrifty. If you do this on Kauai, make sure to get your rental agreement done at the airport. Everyone everywhere else just takes you to the off airport location, but on Kauai Thrifty does the paperwork at the airport and takes you to a car...oops, I screwed up. Drove to the Princeville hotel, our home for the next 3 nights.

Hotel:
I had told my wife we were staying in a regular ocean-view room while secretly booking a junior suite. The hotel had upgraded us to an executive suite (room 303), but the room wasn't ready yet at 11:30 a.m. We checked in about 3pm and the room was incredible. Perfect view, awesome bathroom, walk-in closets, dining room area, etc....a real special treat! The service at the hotel was wonderful and never stuffy/snooty like some have reported about this place.

Sights/Excursions:
Lighthouse was very pretty and many of the birds are nesting there, so it's a really worthwhile stop right now. Spouting Horn was also very picturesque. We didn't particularly care for Poipu, just our taste I guess. We did the morning trip with NaPali Catamaran. These guys have a great trip. Their is nothing fancy or posh about their boat, but it is very clean and works well for the small group that they take. We snorkeled for about an hour with a family of 4 turtles that were being cleaned. That was really cool. The scenery along the NaPali should not be missed. Of course, neither should the scenery around the Princeville pool, but I digress....

Dining:
Hanalei Cafe at the Princeville. An expensive dinner, but a nice splurge to sit on the patio during sunset. The food was very good. Zelo's was excellent as well...especially happy hour. Their happy hour is 3:30-5:30 with $5 mai tais (very large and strong....a bargain almost) and $2 fish tacos. The same tacos are $16 at dinner for 2 of them with rice/beans/etc. We had a really nice lunch, albeit slow, at Pizzetta in Koloa town. I also must mention that Wishing Well shave ice is a must stop in Hanalei...at least once!

Last day we flew to Honolulu at 6:30 a.m. and got the royal TSA treatment again for some reason. It annoyed my wife, but it got us through security faster than waiting in the regular line! Made it to the Arizona Memorial about 8 a.m. The same time as about 10 tour buses. We got our tickets about 9 a.m. and had a 1.5 hour wait to start the tour. A worthwhile experience, but was peeved that most tourists show no respect while at the Memorial. Waikiki is a dump IMO, but Waimanolo area is quite pretty.

This is getting long, so just ask any questions and I'll check back to see if I can answer them.

KTinTX
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 12:14 PM
bonniebroad

KTinTX, I loved your trip report........ excellent, felt like I was there! Except I don't agree that Waikiki is a dump, and am wondering how long you were in Waikiki, and what you saw that gave you that impression? Granted, it is crowded and busy, but I think there are many wonderful things about the place. Maybe you just didn't have enough time to find them? I love all of Oahu, the urban and the rural......... So glad you had a great trip!

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Kal

KT,

Remember..."there's nothing to do on Kauai...it rains all the time....no nightlife...."
We are creating a "Kauaiian Borg"!
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Well,

I will admit that we did not spend much time at all in Waikiki. But, that was by choice since I do not particularly like busy, crowded places (except Las Vegas!) that are mainly for sleeping and/or shopping. I'm sure there are some nice restaurants etc. there, but the only reason I'll probably go back would be to take my children to Pearl Harbor. The non-urban areas were very pretty, and probably a good place to vacation....just my preference to avoid Honolulu in the future I guess. My distaste for Hon/Waikiki probably stem from the fact that I live in a huge sprawling city and can see that type of dining/buildings/hotels/shopping at home if I choose to.

Kal,
Yeah....it, uh...rained...all the time..that's the ticket. Nobody go there so the prices will go down! The north shore of Kauai just gave us a sense of "why drive to anywhere else on the island". Oh, and the bakery in the Kong Lung center is awesome. (mac nut rolls!!!!)
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 05:53 PM

KTinTX: I absolutly love Las Vegas and like bonniebroad I to like Waikiki. I like them both for similar reasons:

They are over the top
Great for people watching
Way too much of a good thing
A good place to stay up late
NOTHING like home

You should give it another chance but it is an aquired taste and some people just don't like it. That is one of the great things about Hawaii, there is something for everyone. Enjoy your next trip there...you know you will be back.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

If anyone wants to see pictures from this trip...you can at:

www.pbase.com/rkthomas/hawaii__june_2004

KTinTX
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 07:36 AM

Kal,
"Resistance is futile" >)>)>)>)>)

KTinTX,
Do you remember the name of the bakery in Hanalei?
Good report. Thanks
-Bill
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

iamq:

The bakery was in Kilauea. Turn like you're going to the lighthouse, and it is in the Kong Lung shopping center there in Kilauea. A pretty small place, but everything looked really good. They had these things called bialys that I had never heard of, or seen before...maybe it's a regional thing???? I also had a phyllo crusted rice pudding that was very good. The place also serves pizza and sandwiches later in the day.

KTinTX
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 10:57 AM
Kal

KT,
Good job!

iamq,
You sound like Mrs Kal when she's "frisky" \/
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 02:16 PM

Kal,
Yeah, I get this way just before a trip to Hawaii. >
-Bill
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 02:42 PM
sap

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone, but I think bialys are a Jewish bread/pastry. I see them all the time at Noah's Bagels here in CA. Anyone from New York know? At any rate, they are certainly not a Hawaiian food. The macnut rolls though, yum! I'll make a note of that one.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 01:41 PM

bialys are certianly NOT Hawaiian - they are a variation on the bagel although they are made differnebtly and taste differently.

I guess coming from Texas, there aren't many bagel shops.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

You are correct....there aren't any "just bagel" shops around here that I know of. The only "bagel shops" are Einstein's Bagels and Panera Bread...which I'm sure don't qualify. I did know that the bialys weren't hawaiian fare, but just something I had never seen before! LOL

KTinTx