Maui, Kauai, BI must do's

Old Sep 12th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui, Kauai, BI must do's

Okay, I'm panicked. I'm a planner with no plan and we leave in 7 days!

I've read many posts and now feel totally overwhelmed! I need your itineray help!

My wife and I are 50, traveling to the islands for our first time, are very active, and love beaches, hiking, snorkeling, and great food. We are doing the Marriott thing on all three islands (for free), Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Kauai Marriott Resort, and Waikoloa Beach Marriott. We have 5 nights on each island.

All I have so far are dinner reservations. On Maui: Mama's, Hula Grill, Roy's, and Old Lahaina Luau. On Kauai, Beach House. THAT'S IT!

We have cars rented on all islands and all inter-island flights booked. We have no budget constraints (since our airfare was free too).

Here is what I'm thinking are for sures:
Maui: sunrise at Haleakala, a little of the road to Hana, seeing Lahaina and Pa'ia, and a zipline adventure somwhere.
Kauai: NaPali cruise (probably the SeaBreeze, Kayaking somewhere, an ATV tour somewhere, Tunnels, Ke'e, and Hanauma Bay for beach and snorkeling.
Big Island: Volcanoes National Park, Kona Brewing, Hapuna Beach, and Akaka Falls.

Please advise.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 06:29 AM

Wow! No need to panic. Your plan is GREAT! Just relax and enjoy.
Only bit of advice----bring really, really warm clothing in your car for the top of Haleakela. Believe it or not, It gets freezing cold up that high especially if the wind is blowing.
Have fun!
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 06:38 AM

Big Island: Make a reservation for sunset dinner at The Canoe House at the Mauna Lani.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 06:44 AM

BI: Sign up for a stargazing tour at Mauna Kea. They'll pick you up right at Waikoloa Village around 2-3 and drop you off again that night around 10-10:30. It was my husband's favorite thing on our trip -- you likely have never seen the stars so bright anywhere, and you can see constellations that you can't see from the continental 48.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 07:14 AM

Skip the Canoe House...Mauna Lani is closed from September 1 - November 1 this year. Was (unpleasantly) surprised to learn that when I tried to eat at the Canoe House last week.

On Big Island, I would add the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden. It's very easy to combine with Akaka Falls. From Waikoloa one day, I would drive to the Botanical Gardens, then on to Hilo for lunch, then on the way back to Waikoloa stop off at Akaka Falls and Waipio Valley lookout.

I really wish I had done Mauna Kea stargazing.

My one restaurant suggestion (for a splurge) would be Pahu I'a at Four Season Hulalai on the BI.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 07:37 AM

Your plans sound wonderful to me!

Be sure you don't miss going to the Kiluea Lighthouse on Kauai and do some gazing. If you get tired of eating breakfast at the Marriott skip over to the Kalapaki Beach Hut for a good breakfast with great coffee. You also have to drive up to the Canyon.

On Maui do all of the road to Hana, not just part of it....pull over when the locals are behind you and know he shaka sign is a good gesture not a bad one!

Have a wonderful time. Aloha
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 08:38 AM

My favorite beach on the North Shore of Kauai is Hideaways. It's not easy to get to, but that is why it's so nice and quiet. There is parking area for Hideaways just before the entrance to Princeville. Ke'e is wonderful too but sometimes it's so crowed.
The lighthouse at Kilauea s.is a must see I think. Oh and don't forget a drive up to the waterfalls. I get my waterfalls mixed up, but there is a hut that sells ice cold pineapple by the waterfall near the Fern Grotto.
I also wouldn't want to miss a meal at Hamura's on Rice St. at Kress (I think) . Try not to go right at lunch time because it can be really crowded. Even if you're stuffed order some lilikoi pie for dessert. Duke's at your hotel is also good, although I've only been to the Duke's on Oahu, but I'm sure they are similar. Have fun!
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 09:08 AM

glimmer2, they can always get their lilikoi pie and eat it before they fill up on saimen!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 09:20 AM

When you go to Hapuna Beach, you'll be close to the Pu'ukohola Heiau National Site http://www.nps.gov/puhe/index.htm so you can get a feel for Hawaiian history.

It's a pretty drive further north to the small former sugar towns of Hawi and Kapa'au. The Bamboo Restaurant is especially nice on Friday or Saturday nights when there is Hawaiian music. John Keawe is the best known, but the others are also great. If you go, make reservations. http://www.bamboorestaurant.info/

Other restaurants in town that I love are Sushi Rock, and Pico's Bistro, which has a darling tiny museum and artist cooperative attached. http://www.kohalaartists.com/bistro

You can drive further to the end of the road at the Pololu Lookout, or hike down to the black sand beach. On the way, there are lots of little galleries, tiny churches, pretty, lush gulches with orange flowered tulip trees. This area is the birthplace of King Kamehameha, and it is full of history and aloha spirit.

Here's a website with Kohala info. http://www.gokohala.com/ There is a community concert on Sept. 19, and then the Kohala Country Fair is Oct. 3. This is about the sweetest time on earth, with spam carving contest, and all day local music and dancing.

Maybe you'll even be on the Big Island for the Iron Man Triathlon on October 11. Personally, I love the energy that goes along with that event.

So, have a great time! I agree with Monterey Bob to relax and enjoy. It's all pretty wonderful!
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 09:42 AM

iceeu2, yes ordering the pie first would be a great idea! The first few times we went to Hamura's they were out of pie! Last summer was my first score and, oh my, it was nice...Or is it that everything somehow tastes better on Kauai?
I'm having severe Kauai pangs because I just spent 20 minutes looking at condos on VRBO and we aren't even close to planning a trip! I'm nuts...
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 11:22 AM

On Kauai, be sure to visit Waimea Canyon (southern part of island). You'll usually get better views if you go in the morning rather than afternoon. It's called the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific," and the views are just incredible.

Also, you mentioned a NaPali cruise on Kauai, and I agree that that would be a good idea. We used Captain Andy's, and we had a wonderful time. Also, if you are planning on taking a helicopter tour of any of the islands, I think Kauai is the best island for that.

On the Big Island, we enjoyed driving up to Hawi and seeing all the ranchland on the northern side of the island. If you're driving to or from the volcano area, there are lots of places to stop along the northern route that have amazing views.

Something we really enjoyed on the Big Island was stopping at the top of the volcano on our way back from seeing the lava. It was totally dark all around, and we stopped our convertible, opened the roof, and leaned back and watched the stars. I have never seen so many stars in my life, and it was so beautiful.

On Maui, I think you have a good plan. The road to Hana is very scenic and remember, it's the ROAD to Hana, and not Hana itself, that is the big attraction there.

Have fun planning!
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

First, I don't know why I am suddenly freaking out, but I am. We booked this so long ago, it's just now caught me by surprise. I was also feeling overwhelmed by guide books, web sites, posts, etc. And I just want you experts to tell me what to do, and plan it for me.

Second, I know my wife (Mrs brutally honest) would want me to clarify, I am 53 she is 50. This trip is a combined birthday/anniversary, and we are 1/2 of a year away from paying for three boys college expenses, gift to ourselves.

Third, thank you for all your thoughtful responses. I have to figure out how to best coordinate each day, combining activities while still leaving some relaxing hotel beach time before dinner.

Fourth, are there any activities I need to reserve now, or can I just play them by ear?

Monterey Bob, is there a tour I can take to Haleakala that allows us to bike down and provides warm clothing?

kgh8m, thanks for the stargazing tour at Mauna Kea idea, that clearly is a must do.

beanweb24, Botanical Gardens to Hilo to Akaka Falls and Waipio Valley lookout now completes a day, thanks.

iseeu2, I've added Kilauea Lighthouse, but with the road to Hana, I just don't think I can sit in a car for most of a day...so I'm still thinking partial.

glimmer2, thanks for Hideaways and I MUST find that hut with ice cold pineapple. Also, I figured we would eat at Duke's for lunch one day.

kailani, thanks for all the BI info and links. We will be there 9/29 - 10/4, so the Kohala Country Fair sound fun, but will miss Iron Man.

samsaf, we definitely added Waimea Canyon. Can you tell me a little about why you liked Captain Andy's? Ideally, we want a morning half day trip, see dolphins, a little snorkeling, and maybe a couple of drinks (yes, on vacation, even early in the morning will be good). Your BI idea sounds amazing as well.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 01:02 PM

Biking down Haleakala is extremely dangerous and while I like to live on the edge sometimes, I wouldn't do it. The state park has actually banned drop offs inside the park, so all tours that do this now drop you off outside of the park instead of at the top. If you want an interesting way to come down Haleakala, how about paragliding?
http://www.paraglidehawaii.com/
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 01:14 PM

"state park" should have read "national park"
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 01:19 PM

silver5, we really enjoyed our Captain Andy's trip because we like being on catamarans as opposed to other types of boats. On the way out, the water was smooth, and we concentrated on enjoying the views and watching the dolphins who were swimming with us. I've got pictures of the dolphins, who were right beside our boat for a long time.

The views are incredible of the cliffs, and no picture I have ever seen has done the views justice. The snorkeling was pretty good, and then the trip back was AWESOME!

By the time we started back, the winds and waves were up, and we got drenched from the waves. My husband and I were sitting as near the front of the boat as the crew would let us. I had my arms wrapped around the rails on the side of the boat, and my husband was holding on to me and to the rails. When we would hit a wave, the water would come up OVER the boat and drench us all. It was VERY exciting (and a little scary) and one of the best memories of any vacation we've ever had.

There was one lady on our boat who was experiencing seasickness, and I'm sure her memories of that time were't so good. Also, if we didn't want to get quite as wet, we could have moved further back in the boat.

If you decide to do a boat trip, I would reserve it for one of the first days you're on a particular island, and that way if there is bad weather on your day, you have time to reschedule.

On Waimea Canyon, go to the end of the road at the top of the canyon. There is a metal gate there, and you can park your car in that area. Walk about a mile (or less) and that's where the MOST amazing views are. You've probably seen pictures or postcards with those particular views. We really enjoyed it (my husband and I are in our mid/late 40's).

I think the best snorkeling is on the Big Island. We went on a FairWind cruise, and we decided to do the one that uses the faster boat. We've been on lots of snorkeling/boat trips, and that remains as one of our favorites. They served breakfast on the way out, snorkeled several places, and then they served a wonderful lunch. While we were anchored, we could put umbrellas up to shade our chairs. Each person on the boat had a private lounge chair. It was well worth the money, we thought.

We stay at a lot of Marriotts, too. The Kauai Marriott is really nice. The pool is amazing, and it's on the east side of the island, so you don't have a long drive to get to either the north or south sides. The breakfasts were expensive, so we just got muffins and juice, and that was more affordable.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 01:25 PM

The FairWinds boat we took was the Hula Kai. On their website (www.fair-wind.com), there is a 50% off coupon that you can use on their morning snorkel trips (the one we did) for this fall.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 01:43 PM

On BI: Place of Refuge
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 04:39 PM

If you are leary about driving the whole Road to Hana, in Maui, take the road around the topside of Maui past Kapalua. It is breathtakingly beautiful and not near as long. Follow the road around and head towards Iao Valley and see the Iao needle. You can do the whole thing in the morning and be back for a late lunch. Going for my fifth trip next month. Cant wait! Please dont leave Kauai without seeing Waimea Canyon. Drive all the way to top and hope the cloud cover isnt too bad. You will see the most beautiful view in the world!! Enjoy!
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 09:29 PM

I agree with Samsaf, Capt. is a great way to see Na Pali. The boat was spotless and the crew was very professional. We sat on the net while we were visited by the dolphins and it felt like you could reach out and touch them. While we snorkeled the crew circled around on long boards in case anyone ran into trouble. After snorkeling the lunch and adult beverages were very good.
My family has been to Kauai 5 times and our day with Capt. Andy was one of the best days we've had there. Be prepared to take a long nap afterward though because you have to get to Port Allen pretty early. Even so I'd do the morning tour because the wind is usually down and you see more wildlife in morning.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

How do you get to the top of Haleakala? Do you just drive yourself?

What is the difference between catamaran trips from Captain Andy's or SeaBreeze?

FairWind cruise on the Big Island sounds perfect, I'm booking that. Thanks samsaf for the link.

And thanks kimkenley, I think I will take your advice for the partial road to Hana.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -