Maui inexpensive dining

Search

Maui inexpensive dining

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Bob

Maui inexpensive dining

Going to Maui tommorrow.

We are on a budget and would like to find dinner for three for $10.00/entree. Add tea or a soft drink plus 30% for tax/tip equals about $45 -$50 for dinner. Is this unreasonable? We are not generally "fine" diners and are happy with mexican food, american, etc. and of course any local fare.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Duane

Bob,

You are going to have a challenge to accomplish your quest, but it can be done. I don't know where you're staying, but you'll need to look in your hotel's telephone book for a Maui Taco location near you. There are several of them, and you will easily have a delicious, filling dinner for under $10. There's one at the island's mall.

Another possibility would be Stella's Blues Cafe. You can get several entrees for under $10. It's a neat place.

I'm sure others will have more restaurants, I just wanted to chime in with my two low-cost favorites.

Aloha!
Duane

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 09:00 AM
HarryR

Depending where you will be staying, the is also the Mixed Grill which serves meals in that price range. For that price you may have to have a nice lunch out and have other plans for dinner. In Lahania there is also Bubba Gumps that is fairly inexpensive.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 10:51 AM
e

Chesseburger in Paradise in Lahaina, fun spot on the water. Also Hula Grill on the beach at Kaanapali. However, remember Maui is not cheap. A BigMac, fries and coke will run around 8-9 bucks !!!

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 01:00 PM
paul

I second the recommendation for Maui Taco. Alexander fish and chips in Kihei is good.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 02:17 PM
bettyk

I second Hula Grill. Also consider stopping at the Safeway store and loading up on lunch meat, etc., for a picnic. We did this several times to cut costs. They also have other take out items. We found the portions to be so big at most restaurants that we started sharing an entree and dessert and that worked out perfectly. No leftovers to leave behind and it was cheaper too.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 03:52 PM
dana

Hula Grille really isn't what I'd put in the same league as Maui Tacos if we're talking price!
Even the barefoot beach bar had gotten very expensive for hamburgers and salads and the like when we were last there two years ago, by the time you added on the iced tea, the tip, and of course their yummy ice cream sandwich dessert which was $5.00.
I suppose if two adults were to share one salad or something that you could consider it somewhat cheaper, but I really don't view it as a bargain of any sort. I also vote for Maui Tacos,
also there's Kaanapali Mixed Plate in the shopping center near Safeway.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Marie

Also try Moose McGillicuddy's in Lahaina. It's a bar/restaurant that overlooks the main street with great Happy Hour drink prices (excellent Mai Tais) and the food was very good and cheap. I wish we had found it earlier, we would have gone more!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Bruce

1. Maui Tacos-can't be beat for value.

2. Subway-by Napili Bay. Good bang for the buck. Go eat em by the beach.

2.Supermarket!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Patty

$45-$50 will NOT buy you dinner for 3 at Hula Grill unless you eat at the Barefoot bar or share, maybe. Where are you staying? There are lots of inexpensive eateries in Lahaina - I'm thinking mostly of places that are closer to fast food type restaurants though.