Maui in May questions

Search

Maui in May questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui in May questions

Okay, I've spent the last 3 hours reading Maui postings and my head is spinning. (Have also read Maui Revealed, Frommer's, Unofficial, Moon Handbooks). This will be our first trip to Maui (hubby and I are in our mid-50s). We will be staying in a condo in Kihei. The biggest thing I can't figure out is our trip to Hana. Here's what we're thinking. Our plane arrives in Kahului on Fri April 30 at 2:54. Pick up our rental car at the airport, head out for Hana, spend the night somewhere in Hana, then complete the circle on Sat, checking into our condo on Sat (check-in time 4:00 p.m.) Here are my questions -
1) Will there be time to enjoy the sights on the way to Hana before dark, if we don't hit the road until 3:00 p.m. or so?
2) Any suggestions of where to stay in Hana for one night only? Something inexpensive, since we'll be ready to just crash by the time we get there.
3) On our way to Kihei on Sat, will we have time to go to Haleakala Ntl Park, or should we go on past it and make that a separate trip later in the week?
4) We really want to do a horseback ride and haven't seen too many reviews on these boards. Anyone have any opinions? Mendes Ranch?
5) Rental car -- convertible or 4WD?
6) The flight there -- YIKES --- from Columbus, Ohio. A 2-1/2 hour flight makes me antsy, hope I can do it. I've never flown first class and it's terribly expensive, but I'm seriously wondering whether it's worth the extra expense for such a long flight. Is coach okay? I have no idea what to expect. I've never even used an airplane restroom, as 2-1/2 hrs has been the longest for me.

I hope this isn't too long, and I hope I get some replies from all you nice people. If so, I'll probably have even more questions!
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Just last October we flew in to Kahului and hit the road right to Hana, after stopping for supplies. We arrived at out usual overnight haunt before dark, but we did not stop along the way, as we do this trip on a regular basis. You should be fine if you just want to see some sights, and are not planning on stopping at many places for any extended length of time. Depending on how quickly you can get your car and hit the highway, You should a few hours of sunlight left. It will also help that you will be going against traffic.

I must highly recommend http://www.hana-maui.com/accommodations.html. I just spoke with Tom yesterday to reserve the Lani Makaalae Studio for the Aloha Festival closing weekend. The hot tub will be a nice respite after your drive and in the morning you can walk across the street the Waioka Pool. The sunrise is beautiful from there.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:13 PM

I assume you are referring to visiting the crater when you speak of doing the park on Saturday? Personally, I would save that for another day, and maybe go back through Hana town to Wainapanapa and stop at Hamoa Beach before going on through to Kaupo and back upcountry. Since you'll be coming in late, you can drive on past and backtrack a bit in the morning. You might want to stop at Tutus at Hana Bay for loco moco, then check out Hana town. There are archeological sites and a bamboo forest when you are heading toward Kaupo, and, I assume, you will want to stop at Lindberg's grave and Oheo Gulch. You may even wat to allow yourself enough time to stop at Tedeschi Vineyards. There is so much to do that I fear if you try to do the crater too it would just be too much.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Any estimate on driving time from Kahului to Hana? From Hana back to Kahului (going south)? We want to complete the circle going clockwise, in two legs.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 03:14 PM

I can get to Hana in about 2 hours. You'll probably want to stop a see the sights on the way. A convertible makes the drive even more specatcular. For your trip on Saturday I'd allow the better part of the day, since you will want to stop. You'll be travelling through something like 12 microclimate zones, from rainforest to dryland forests to subalpine forest.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 06:07 PM

I too, have flown to Hawaii from Ohio { Cleve.} and would not drive to Hana the first day. After the long flight and lack of sleep the night before[if you are like me!] you will be tired and there is so much to see on the way to Hana, it would be a shame to rush the trip. If your flight lands at 2:54, by the time you get off the plane and get your rental, it will be closer to 4. Thats if your flight is on time. Save the trip for another day and stop and enjoy the sights on the way. Have a great time in Maui!