Maui honeymoon question

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui honeymoon question

Hello -

My fiancé and I are spending 14 nights in Wailea for our honeymoon from the mid to end of December. We are lucky enough to be using my Aunt and Uncle's condo in Wailea which is located in Elua Village on Elua beach.

You might think I am nuts - but do you think it is worth it to spend a few nights at a resort up in the Lahaina/Kanaalapi area?

We are not BIG activities people but do enjoy walking around and seeing the sights, shopping, dining out, etc. We know we can snorkel if we choose in Wailea and we plan to do the road to Hana one day as well. Most of all we just want to relax and have a romantic honeymoon. I realize given the time of year the resorts will be pricey and jammed, but it might be kind of nice to stay up in another area of the island - especially since it can be quite a drive given island traffic.

Is this a good idea - or not worth the $1000+ for a 3 night stay? If it is worth it - which resort and area do you recommend?

Thanks!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 10:13 AM
bonniebroad

OMG, you lucky girl!!! You will already be in HEAVEN (Wailea)! Why would you leave??? Just teasing....... but really, the drive is not all that far to other sites on Maui, and you have a whole two weeks to explore. Personally, I would not spend the money, just do day-trips, but others might disagree. If you can easily spend the money, and feel a need to have a few days' resort-hotel experience, hey, it is your honeymoon!;-)

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Hi and thanks! I know it is silly and my fiance also thinks it is a waste of money. I admit I like the posh/pampering of a big resort complete with a huge beautiful pool, cocktails at a bar etc. I know we can easily stroll down to the big Wailea resorts for the cocktails but we won't be allowed to use their pools. I even called and asked if we could buy a daily pass to use the pool and it was not much less then the cost of a one night stay - that is at the resorts that even permitted such a thing.

We also love the beach - but we are both a bit fearful of the water, especially given the sharks that frequent Maui waters. We have been to the Caribean and I have gone scuba diving but the most I ever saw was a moral eel and a nurse shark - no great whites there! (I know my chances are so slim - but it is still scary).

I have done a search on Elua condos and boy do people rave about them on here - so maybe it will be best to stay put.

Anyone recommend staying at the hotel Hana? Is it worth the price? Now those rooms are pricey!!!

I have Maui Revealed and a few other books - they are great, but it is nice to get other's opinions.

Thanks all!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Make that a MORAY eel, I posted a MORAL eel! He might have had morals too, but first and foremost he was a MORAY!
hahah
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 11:11 AM

If you are doing the road to Hana maybe a few nights at the Hotel Hana would be a great change.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 11:34 AM

I swim and surf in the waters around Maui everyday. you will see many more great whites off the coast of California than here. A great white sighting off of Maui is a rarity, and even rarer off of south Maui beaches. A more common shark here is the tiger shark, but even then, it's not like the water is teeming with sharks. Stay out of murky water, you'll be fine.

The Hotel Hana-Maui is a very special place, but in reality Hana in general is very a special place. It is one of our favorite places to go for a day trip or a romantic long weekend. If you don't want to spend the money for a room at the hotel, there are many other, equally romantic options available. You can still come to the hotel for meals and the spa. Personally, if I had a honeymoon to do again, I'd do it at the Hotel Hana-Maui.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 11:38 AM

I would consider purchasing a day pass for the Grand Wailea, since it's the best pool complex in Hawaii! AND I would drive to Hana and spend two nights in one of those Sea Lodge cottages at Hotel Hana. After all, if your accommodations are for the most part free that gives you some leeway to splurge! It's so easy to drive to Kaanapali that I wouldn't waste my money staying there. You could consider the Ritz in Kapalua for a luxury experience in a different part of the island. BUT I still like my first suggestion better...
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi and thanks for the shark and Hana info! Actually I don't swim in S. Cal either - , we are from the East Coast. So coming quite a distance - I just hope one day we can return!

So you don't suggest us staying anywhere else other than Hana and Wailea? The west side is not necessary? I honestly probably don't have the money to do both - so it seems as though Hana would be our better option.

I saw the post on Hana Hale - is that where you meant regarding other options besides Hotel Hana? Must admit it does look beautiful though - maybe we can swing 2 nights there in one of their "lower end" rooms.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Actually I just called Grand Wailea - they no longer offer day passes. They have a 6 night minimum after December 20. If I booked one night on December 16 - it would run me $279 plus tax and resort fee. Guess that isn't really worth it. BUMMER!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:14 PM

If you have free accommodations in Wailea, I don't see why you'd need to spend $ on a resort, unless you have your heart set on resort experience for your honeymoon. I am not a resort kind of person and I don't understand the people who come here a spend huge amoiunt of money to spend the entire time behind the walls of the 4 Seasons (we have friends who do this). I think you will find that staying at Wailea Elua to be fabulous. They have a pool, albeit not the Grand Wailea's pool. On the upside, you won't be surrounded by kids all day. I think staying up in Ka`anapali would be a let down after Elua Village. It's a small island. Anywhere you want to go is a day trip.

Island traffic? hehe Seriously, not so much traffic. I come from LA. That's traffic. I think some people come here from the mainland and just can't decompress enough. Slow down and enjoy it. Yes, there are 20 mph zone and some of the roads are only two-lane, so slow down and take in the views. When I find my driving to the other side, I am constantly awed by the beauty of this place I call home, and if it takes me a few minutes longer to get there, that's just more time I can spend taking in the sights along the way.

I have no personal experience with Hana Hale, but there are many cottages around the area. I am sure you find something to fit your needs. I'd start doing a search now and take some time to see what is available, to find just the right place for you since this is your honeymoon.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:17 PM

JohnD and his wife stayed one "splurge" night in the Grand Wailea and had a blast. See if you can find his post on it. That's actually a GREAT deal for a night there, as the lowest end room usually costs (rack rate) over $400. I guess December is a tough time to get short stay ressies in Hawaii... Did you look at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua?
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks folks!

Oh I didn't mean I would mind the island traffic - I just figured it would lengthen our day trips, especially to Hana. I read somewhere on here that there were a lot of tour buses on route to Hana in the busy season? Any suggestions on where to look online to book a cottage in Hana?

It does indeed sound like we don't need to book a room on the West side - and from all I read the resorts in Wailea or nicer anyway!

I will see if future hubby would be interested in booking a room at the GW for one night at that rate - the thing is you can't check in until 3:00, wonder if we checked in at 9:00am if they would let us use the facilities for the day.

Thks everyone!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:42 PM

I've never heard of a hotel that wouldn't let you use the pool, etc. if you try to check in early. While they may not give you a room until 3 if the hotel is full, they should have no problem storing your luggage and letting you use the hotel's facilities until then.

And I guess I am a "resort person" because I can appreciate the desire for a couple of days of sitting by a real nice pool while drinks with umbrellas are brought to me...
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:44 PM
bonniebroad

Beachgirl, go to *hamoabay.com*..... see what you think of those! Recommended by Frommers.. looks like a cool place to me. I'd say whatever you're going to do, if you want to do it that time of year, you will need to reserve soon! I'll see what else I can dig up for you.

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:45 PM

The tour busses will not affect the drive to Hana anymore than the cars along the route. It's a winding route with many one-lane bridges. It's not a fast trip, but it's not meant to be. The whole idea is to take your time and enjoy the scenery.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:51 PM
bonniebroad

*maui.net/~ekena* ... these look neat, also!

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:58 PM
bonniebroad

These are about three miles past Hasegawa's store in Hana, and a mile from Hamoa Beach. *papalani.com*...... Think they start at about $175.........

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:11 PM
bonniebroad

*maui.net/~huelopt.com* One more........... this is not in Hana, but off the Hana Highway, 35 miles from Kahalui. I intend to stay at this place before I die!!! There are individual websites for each of the homes..... Just *google* the names along with Huelo Point Flower Farm. Doesn't this place look divine.......

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi and thanks for all the links to the accomodations near Hana! I will definitely check them out!!
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Mahalo Crazy4HI,

As Crazy4HI indicated, we stayed at the GW last September and got a rate $)less than $400, before we got upgraded, here is the Trip Report link:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1&tid=34456218

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -