Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui HELP: Prince, Outrigger, Condo @Aston Or???

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Doug

Please give me your advice, comments,likes and dislikes etc, re: the following:
My wife and I want to spend 8 days (end of February) on Maui. We are just married, in our late 30's, like to RELAX, sit on THE BEACH, not the pool, all day long!! We don't wish to sightsee, having done that on our last trip when we stayed at Kaan. Beach Hotel. We DO like to walk to nearby shops and restaurants. Can anyone offer suggestions as to which of the following, or other hotel/condo would be best for us: (P.S.: don't want to spend the $$ for grand wailea, kea lani etc, but do want a clean, nice place.) Maui Prince? Outrigger Wailea?
Aston Kaanapali Shores or Wailea Ekahi Village? Any others??? Thank you VERY much.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Sherry

I have not stayed at those places, but have stayed at the Renaissance Wailea. If you go to www.entertainment.com, and buy the entertainment book, you can book the Renaissance for a VERY reasonable price (we paid $250 for deluxe ocean view, but lesser views were even less; it's basically 50% off). You'll be in Wailea, and have the resort feel. While the pool is nothing special, the beaches are nice in the area, including at the hotel. You also have the Wailea shops in the center of Wailea. (It's a short drive from any of the hotels; I don't think anyone walks to it.) We have also stayed at the Kea Lani, which we loved, but feel the Renaissance was a major bang for the buck with the discount, and will return in May. The entertainment discount is key!

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Sherry

By the way, the Renaissance is very clean and very nice (it's still pretty luxurious, if not a "luxury resort" like it's neighbors), and the service was impeccable there.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 02:41 PM
susan

We stayed at The Maui Prince on our third trip to maui.We fell in love with the beach in front of the Prince on our second trip.We also did all the tourist things on our other visits and just wanted to relax at the beach and eat good food .The Prince is far from the other resorts and very low key(asian inspired).It was everything we wanted and can't wait to return. susan

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Gale

The Grand Champions in Wailea is a great condo complex that is reasonably priced. It's located in Wailea and some units are on the Wailea Blue Golf Course. Check out www.ownerdirect.com

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Penny

The Kaanapali Shores does not have a good beach so you will need to drive somewhere to use the beach. It is a decent place but when in Hawaii, I want to walk out of my place onto a very nice beach. Not what you described you were looking for.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 03:50 PM
SG

Both the Aston and Outrigger are nice. The view is great. The strip of sand is just not very wide. There are nice lounge chairs and coctail people though. Wailea side would be fancier than Kaanapali.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 10:06 PM
doug

Thanks to everyone that replied. We really appreciate the advice and different views. We would love to go to Renaissance or Kea Lani...that may be our next trip. For this trip, we got an UNBELIEVABLE deal at the Prince, so we will check it out. I'll post a report when we return.