Search

Maui Golf Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui Golf Question

I will be in Maui in a few weeks for my honeymoon and I am seeking some advice regarding golf. I told my significant other that I would only golf one day in Maui. I am an avid golfer and don't mind paying the $$ for a quality course.

I hear that the Plantation course at Kapalua is the best public course on the island (and priced that way...) but I will be there only a week after the PGA event. Has anyone played the Plantation course so recently after a PGA event? I have seen what the pro's can do to a course, and I'd be disappointed if I was shelling out $300 to play on a course that was torn up.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Also, I appreciate everyone's input on my previous posts...
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 12:40 PM

It's not going to get any more play because a tournament was held there than if it weren't. The public would have still been playing the course, and they'd do more damage.

In fact, it will probably be in better shape, since it was primed for the event. I would think they would have cut the rough by the time you play, but other than that, I don't think you'll have any problems.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 03:02 PM

The Wailea courses are gorgeous, and a couple of them are priced reasonably. (the local golf shop in Kihei can handle tee times, etc., and they also have great info about all the courses).And, your better half can go to the nearby Shops at Wailea to spend the same amount, have a nice lunch, and meet you when you're done! (If you want to be happy over the next few decades, get her playing golf too!)
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Either Plantation or Wailea Gold. Also depends on where you are staying. Play closer to your hotel/condo to eliminate the extra drive time.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Speaking personally, Kapalua Plantation is the one course to play, when you can only play one. Its a pretty special place, its so unique. Where else could have I reached a 585 yard hole (#18) with a driver and 3-iron? (The trades were sure blowing, that day....). And there's an even added thrill, every January, when you watch the telecasts from there, and re-live your round. I once played a course a couple weeks after a PGA event, and the greens were absolutely lightning fast, I could barely get anything to hold, even a short chip, but I think Kapalua greens are set up a little slower than that, for the Pro's, based on what I have seen, on Mercedes Championships telecasts. But there are new greens there this year, so time will tell. Go for it!
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 09:23 PM

You didn't say where you are staying, and that makes a big difference in drive time.
Played them all,except Kaanapalii, and it depends on the time of year you are going there.
West Maui gets more rain than South Maui, but they all have great courses.
Better plan a course near your hotel for convenience, but for me the Wailea area is the best. Many degrees of play in their variety of 5 different courses.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 03:33 PM

I agree with the other posters about it depending on where you are staying. That said, it also depends on what you want. I only played the Plantation course, yet saw all of the kaanapali and wailea courses in passing. To me, many of the other courses on the island seem rather "average" in that they are perfectly nice, relatively flat, resort style courses. The Plantation course was one of the most fun courses that I've played in that it was very long but played shorter (of course, I didn't have the winds that are blowing this week) and had spectacular views. You are, as mentioned, more at risk for bad weather than the other Maui courses. I also don't know that it's worth the $250+ that they are charging now. I got the first tee time after twilight and finished the round with no problem and played at a reasonable rate. Again, if money is a consideration and I was only playing one course, I don't know if I'd do it and would consider any of the other courses as perfectly acceptable. If not, go for it! I actually played only 2 rounds in Hawaii and went over to Lanai to for my second -- nice ferry ride and you see another island -- golf courses there are very good and usually not crowded, but it's probably too much of a hassle unless your bride wants some adventure.