Reload this Page >

Maui - Camping/Low Cost Living

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Jeff

I'm headed to Maui... by myself from 4/29 to 5/8. I will be meeting up w/some of my friends. But funds are limited and I'd like to camp out on the island... or possibly stay somewhere cheap. I am an avid outirgger cannoer and will be paddling w/a few clubs in Maui when I get there... so near Kahului would help. Any advise is tremendously appreicated. Aloha! Jeff

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Pauline

Not advisably. Many local communities that should be moving off the Island sometimes plant themselves here. If you are caucasian you will not be welcomed. I can only speak for camp grounds on Oahu. I have also read this. Cheap condo's exist check it out on the internet (kihei,SP). I lived on Oahu for three years so I am not making this up.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Jeff

I have heard about the reluctance. A team from out there had invited my team out after a race in Newport, CA.... aim to get a permit to camp.... and go from there. I'm a fairly resouceful guy... so, any leads or ideas on which part of the island will work is great. Truly a novice when it comes to Maui. Pauline, thank you for being candid w/me. Jeff

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Jeff

oh yeah... what does kihei,sp mean?

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Pauline

maybe it is a different story on Maui. I don't think you can get away from some reading. I think the most deceptive thing about planning a stop on the islands is the distance between points. If anyone tells you miles ask them how long in the car. Sometimes 5 miles can mean 20 minutes of winding roads. I would get busy with yahoo point to point driving instructions. Kihei (I was not sure of the spelling) is an area 20 minutes from Lahaina that Maybe it is a different story on Maui. I don't think you can get away from some reading. I think the most deceptive thing about planning a stop on the islands is the distance between points. If anyone tells you miles ask them how long in the car. Sometimes 5 miles can mean 20 minutes of winding roads. I would get busy with yahoo point to point driving instructions. Kihei (I was not sure of the spelling) is an area 20 minutes from Lahaina that is known for budget condo's. I like to be around Lahaina and I would recommend closer than twenty minutes if your group can find accommodations. I am assuming you are a bunch of guys that will want some night life. That will be in Lahaina. Maui Islander is cheap condo also right in Lahaina. Just looked back at your email. If memory serves Kihei is closer to Kahalui than many other tourist towns but get a map,online. HAVE FUN JEALOUS HERE>

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 07:31 AM
Jeff

bueno. will heed to the prep work you referenced! thx a million and i hope you get a chance to revisit the beloved 50th state. jeff