Maui BnB: Garden Gate. Pls help?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Shelly

Hello,

We are planning a trip to Maui Sept. 5-9 and have not got lodging reservations yet. We're on a budget--no more than $100/night. Has anyone stayed at the Garden Gate BnB on Maui? Or any other budget accomodations?

www.gardengatebb.com

Would appreciate your advice. This is our first time on Maui. We are a couple in our late 20s, want to snorkle and check out the main sights.

Thanks!
Shel

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Shel

Oops--I mean **October** 5-9 (not September, silly me).

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 11:00 AM
Shel

Hi again, I am sure *someone* can help me or has some info about this or another reasonably-priced BnB on Maui? Please?

Thanks...

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Laurie

Shelly,
We were in Maui earlier this summer and stayed at http://www.peaceofmaui.com/ upcountry. We stayed in the guest cottage and thought it was a very good deal. It was clean and quiet. Many good restaurants nearby and it was an easy drive to anywhere on the island. Owners were very nice and helpful. You do have to do your own cooking, shopping etc. Please e-mail if you have any questions. Laurie
PS Be sure to check out snorkeling at Honolua Bay-fantastic!!!

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Lani

Shelly,

Is this "GardenGateB&B" in Lahaina or nearby? Seems to me I heard not-so-good things about that one ........ I'll try to check it out in some of my books and reference material, but that name seems to be ringing a negative bell! Will get back to you if I can find something more concrete.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Shel

Thanks Lani,

I would love any info. We are about to make a reservation. This is the garden gate B&B near lahaina. We're also going to check out Peace of Maui.

Thanks again!
Shelly

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 12:53 PM
shel

ttt

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 05:34 PM
JMM

We stayed at the Garden Gate in Lahaina
this past May and have no complaints.
The room was fine but note - rooms are not made up on a daily basis. The breakfast provided is a light continental breakfast of Coffee,juice,fruit and pastries. There is a small fridge in the room - which was very handy. The owner was helpful about suggestions about where to go and what to do. The B&B is about a 5 minute drive to the beaches.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Lani

Shelly,

The Napili Sunset on Napili Bay, right below Kapalua, has an Internet Special for $89/night for one of their poolside studios, 100 yards from the beach. This place is moderately-priced, excellent reputation, has a small pool, on a drop-dead gorgeous beach. Highly recommended by Frommer's. It's not luxurious, from what I've read, but very nice for the money. If you're interested, go to napilisunset.com. Also, I think that northern area of the island is THE place to be the first half or so of October, because as much as I LOVE Wailea, it (and Lahaina) can be really hot and humid that time of year if the trades aren't blowing. I'm not sure if Napili Sunset has A/C, but they're arranged so you have a wonderful cross-breeze, from what they told me, and it's breezier up in that area naturally.

Another place, a B&B with a really good reputation is the Guest House in Lahaina, (mauiguesthouse.com); costs a bit more, $129 night, but that includes full breakfast. With the travel slump at the moment, you might try to bargain with them, get the price down some. At one of these places, you would have a swimming pool or be right on a great beach which I don't believe you would be at the GardenGate, in addition to the negative remarks I'm pretty sure I've heard about it.

Let me know what you think.

Aloha,

Lani

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Barb

We had reservations at Kuau Cove B&B near Paia last week. We never made it there but all the contact I had with them was very pleasant including refunding our deposit. Check out the web site www.maui.net/~kuaubnb/index.html
I think.

Have a great trip.