Search

Maui base or bases for ten days with car

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui base or bases for ten days with car

Hi Fodorites
Have ten days to spend before we go to Waikiki for a week. Have chosen Maui over Kauai because I think there's more to do for our kids (son 18 and daughter 21 )and husband.
We were going to big island initially but respiratory problems in the family have determined otherwise and hopefully the vog won't get to Oahu or Maui (wind borne?)

Now.. I am looking for one base in Waikiki and am leaning towards the Wyndham group of condos near the embassy suites (Waikiki beach walk area) want to be central to the main strip.

Have no idea where to base ourselves ..in Maui...I read the west is sunnier and drier and I'm considering staying in a busier centre rather than a resort near a beach...don't want noisy area but just somewhere we can walk to window shop and get an icecream and people watch.

With ten days at our disposal I'm thinking we might do a daytrip over to lanai or Molokai or even the big island if the vog is behaving . Is there a coffee plantation tour on either lanai or Molokai or big island that is actually worthwhile? I was looking forward to seeing one on big island until the change of plans.(when we were actually going to stay on big island rather than Maui)
We love scenery, long drives, walks but not hikes necessarily, nature and historical/ cultural sites. We won't be dining out all that much..want to get self catering apartment.
Looking to do one luah(sp) somewhere either on oahu or Maui. Anyone got recommendations.
?
Also need advice re flights between Islands..I know they're pricey if you don't book in advance.
Also where to get a car on Maui and Oahu?
Suggestions for condos would be appreciated. Our budget is probably round 2000 usd per week for accommodation at least that's what we are faced with in Waikiki.

Doing all the touristy things cos the kids have never been on a tropical vacation aside from the islands of Queensland in Australia (we live in aus so beaches are a way of life but always nice to visit others)
Thank you for any advice... And I know many of you prefer kauai but I think we will stick to Maui..our eldest honeymooned there but stayed at a resort.
Happy travels to all!
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

We are going in mid november 2014 I forgot to mention..I'm thinking that the weather does vary a bit?
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hale Pau Hana in Kihei, Maui would do nicely.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 12:14 AM

Many choices on Maui and many posts in here on that. I am partial to the Kahala/Napili area - but others like down by Kiehi/Wailea. Both are fine and if you have 10 days - you might stay one place for a week or so (depending on the deal) and the remainder of the time in the other. Driving wise - with no traffic - an hour plus apart.

Also consider driving "upcountry" and greeting the sunrise at the volcano (Haleakula - sp?) - or maybe riding/cruising down from the summit with bicycles - but go with an organzied group if cycline - for safety, etc.

Also love the drive out to Hana - but plan to stop along the way if anyone gets a bit carsick on the many curves.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 12:15 AM

And taking the ferry for a day trip to Lanai is fun.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 04:24 AM

A suggestion for car rental-I've gotten good rates from them in the past and if you find something better you can always cancel. http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

Hawaiian Airlines has the most flights between the islands. http://www.hawaiianairlines.com

If you want to go to Pearl Harbor when you're in Honolulu--I suggest you buy tickets in advance (and don't wait to the last minute)http://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/index.htm

The Bishop Museum in Honolulu gives a wonderful overview of Hawaiian culture and history http://www.bishopmuseum.org

And though you said you will not be dining out much, DH and I really enjoyed our dinner at Alan Wong's restaurant in Honolulu. Alan Wong is one of the founders of Hawaiian regional cuisine--the food was fantastic and the restaurant was relaxed and not stuffy at all. So, if you're interested, make a reservation well ahead of time.

DH and I have only been to Maui once and stayed upcountry so I really cannot offer advice on lodging (we usually go to the BI--trip number 22 coming up in Feb). I did, however, do a quick check of VRBO for condos in West Maui next Nov--there are quite a few available and many are less than $2000/wk.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for all the suggestions

so i can get away with booking just one base for accommodation it seems

we would like to do the drive to hana...thats 2 3/4 hrs away from the west coast isnt it?
thats a long day but i guess youd do it and then not go out that way again
we are looking to book with vrbo...the wyndham condos at waikiki and the prices in the timeshare vary quite a bit
i dont understand how some people charge five hundred more and yet the apartments seem to be the same

is this the norm..such variation?
thanks again
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 06:55 AM

Yes, VRBO is often cheaper for the same properties managed by others (for example, Outrigger properties vs. home owner). There are several condo complexes from south Kihei (across from Kamaole Beach Parks) to Wailea that have good access to town, but not the bad traffic and noise in the center of town (Hale Kamaole, Maui Kamaole, Kamaole Sands are very reasonable, with nice amenities).
Two warnings: The sunrise at Haleakala is a frigid drive up an unfamiliar road in the dark, followed by an often cloudy nothing. Then the drive down is in a long line of exhausted sleep-deprived people driving unfamiliar cars. Frankly, I've had to do it many times, and never once enjoyed the experience (IMO, highly overrated). I recommend sunset; enjoy the mountain and colors in the sunshine, then park in one of the western-facing overlooks for an amazing light and clouds show (bring a picnic).
Please do not do the bike ride down without a good deal of research first (google "bike deaths Haleakala" "Haleakala bike tour groups suspended" and similar. I personally know 3 people who have sustained bad injuries on rocks doing these "safe" tours, and they were very different groups and years. That's weirdly bad, statistically. Those bikes are also on the same road as the sleep-deprived throngs of drivers, BTW).
Considering going all the way around the island past Hana; the road is often bumpy, but passable (constantly being improved, and thus not "forbidden" to rental cars, despite what some say), and the scenery is incredible; the back of the volcano is well worth the trip, then the range of microclimates on the way back to Kahului is wonderful.
Visit different beaches; there are many different beautiful spots on Maui. (If you get an early start, you can get prime parking spaces in smaller lots; look for "shoreline access" signs.)
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
With your young adult kids, you may want to also check out the Kaanapali area. Lots for them to do and handy to Lahina, a fun town.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 08:51 AM

Like Tomsd, I myself prefer just north of Kaanapali, Honokawai, Kahana, Napili. There are lots and lots of condos in those areas, many with great ocean views. For your family I also recommend Kaanapali Beach. It is quite a fun experience staying right on Kaanapali beach. Perhaps look into a condo like Kaanapali Alii, Whaler, Marriott. Check VRBO for options.

Maui Activities: snorkeling at Black Rock (Sheraton), a Trilogy snorkel cruise to Lanai, Warren & Annabelle's magicomedy (must book in advance as it sells out) Drive to Hana (continue through Hana to Oheo Gulch and walk trail out to cliffs. Leave very early and start return no later than 3pm to avoid dark)
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 09:20 AM

I second the recommendation for Kaanapali Beach area, especially if you're interested in being able to shop a bit and walk to restaurants, etc. If you find a spot between the Sheraton and Hyatt (like Kaanapali Ali'i or the Whaler mentioned by hpeabody), then you are in a great location for walking to Whalers Village shopping area and a plethora of dining options. You're also a few minutes walk from a great beach (Kaanapali Beach itself) and excellent snorkeling at Black Rock. Combine that with a short drive to Lahaina which offers even more people watching, shopping, and dining options, and you're pretty well set.

If you're going in November and are budget minded, I would try to avoid Thanksgiving week (November 27 in 2014), as prices tend to soar over the holiday period.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 09:33 AM

Long post, so grab a cup of coffee, sip, read & then decide what your family wants to do. Hope it helps anyone going.

We've been to Maui 7 times from honeymoon to couple to family with young kids and with teens.

All beaches are free and open to everyone, including locals.

Oceanfront condo once at Napili Point, with great snorkeling right off the lanai, around point at Napili Kai Beach Club & soothing surf sounds thru open windows.

Kaanapali to Kapalua (all north of Lahaina) can get occasional afternoon & evening clouds & rain showers that make it a bit more humid & tropical.

Kaanapali = resort hotels with beaches, bars, shopping, dining, & golfing. There are some condo rental complexes there. Never stayed there personally. Played golf there once, not impressed, course condition like a municipal one.

Kapalua = luxury living, great beaches, breezy afternoons, loads of expensive but spectacular view golfing, tennis, spa visits & dining. Never lodged there but know people that have. It's the Pebble Beach, Monterey of Maui. Never played golf there, too windy for my game & too pricey for my wallet, but know the courses have gorgeous views I would drool over.

Lahaina is busy & touristy but fun, and we do a day trip there every Maui vacation. Lots of window shopping & art galleries to see local works. Meals can range from fast food (BK, McD's), to bar fare (Cheese Burger in Paradise, Moose McGillicudy's), to fun (Bubba Gump's, Hard Rock, Smokehouse BBQ), to romantic sunset & value (Kimo's, Lahaina Fish, Pacific'O ), to fine linen dining (Longhi's, Gerard's, Kobe Japanese Steakhouse & Oku Sushi). If touristy is not your bag, just spend the day in Lahaina & go home. Never lodged in Lahaina, but know there are condo rentals from Wyndham, Outrigger & VRBO. Suspect it might be noisy if rental is near Front Street or Hwy 30. Catch a movie in the multi-screen Lahaina theater if you get hot or tired, or find a shaved ice. Get entertained & Hawaiian cultured at the Ulalena live theater show that we & our kids thought was very good, sort of a blend between luau meets Cirque du Soleil. Many historical & cultural sights to see here.

Take a snorkel trip to Lanai out of Lahaina harbor. We did it just once, but will do it every time from now on. Can't remember trip operator company name, but trip went around entire island of Lanai with 3 snorkeling stops, lunch, snacks & history lessons. Guide was owner & knew much more about Lanai history, folklore & reality than other trip guides. Recall that he specifically told us patrons that he'd been fired from every tour operator out of Lahaina Harbor, so he built his own boat specifically for the currents and passage tour across the Lahaina-Lanai channel & around the island. Ask at the docks which tour company owner operator has been fired from every operator out of Lahaina harbor & they will tell you. We & our 2 teens still reminisce about the fun, beauty & entertainment from this day trip. Lanai has little sightseeing to do on land, but there are things to do like horseback & jeep tours. 1 or 2 $400+ per night luxury hotels on island with 2 outstanding golf courses & award winning restaurants. Empty beautiful beaches too. Been wanting to make the day excursion to Lanai by ferry to play 1st course, stay overnight & dine, then play 2nd course & come back. On my bucket list, with or without spouse.

Also take morning snorkel trip to Molokini to beat afternoon winds & rougher seas. Great for kids all ages. Pacific Whale Foundation boat trips out of Maalea Harbor were best for us. Morning continental breakfast with coffee & cocktails (if wanted), and whale watching on way to Molokini. One of 1st few boats into Molokini crater to snorkel, have lunch, then motor over to Turtle Bay for snorkeling with green sea turtles off the shore of Wailea. Have done it twice with our kids, and will do it every time from now on with or without them.

If doing drive to Hana, plan for it to be a whole day. Drive is tiring bcuz it's slow, one lane each way requiring concentration. Plan to take your time to & back. Have driver drive & passenger navigate for sights to see & stop. Many turnouts for short waterfall hikes less than 1 hour round trip hikes in & out. Also many for scenic view photo ops. Bring swimsuits & towels, so you can dip in waterfalls if u want to. Expect to pass thru rain showers to & from, it's the wet side of the island. Pack lunch or snacks to have at stops or sights. We made a day out of it only once, but stopped at Paia for morning coffee to Hana, swam in the Seven Sacred Pools there, and ate dinner at Mama's Fish House in Paia on way back from Hana. For romance, spend the night in Hana & eat dinner there. Hear it's wonderful, but would probably be boring for teens. Never done this personally, bcuz didn't want to pack, unpack & repack for one night, just lazy. Would surely love it if we put forth the effort.

Have stayed in sunny, warmer, drier Wailea 6 times total. Wailea Elua Village oceanfront condos 3x, once without & twice with kids. Elua oceanfront is very expensive $350 (1 Bdrm) to almost $600 (2 Bdrm), but worth every penny. they have oceanview and garden units cheaper but whole place is gated, oceanviews from lanais & bedrooms, 2 pools w/ jacuzzi's, putting green, covered patio w/ kitchen at 1 oceanfront pool for all day hangouts. Rental deals available thru Destination Resorts and VRBO, like pay for 6 days get th free, or 12 days get 2 free. 2 Bedroom condo is almost 1500 square feet, 2 bath, full AC, full kitchen, with lanai, BBQ, in unit linens, beach chairs, cooler, laundry, cable TV, DVD & CD stereo. Wailea has a 3 mile beachfront walking/jogging path past all major resorts, condos & homes like Grand Wailea, Marriot, Shops at Wailea, Hyatt, Four Seasons, and Kea Lani. Morning 100% Kona coffee sipped while on lanai doesn't get any tastier.

More recently stayed at Outrigger Palms at Wailea for $180 to $190 per night, on buy 8 days get 2 free, and buy 11 get 3 free deals. 2 Bedroom condo is almost 1800 square feet, 2 bath, free Wi-Fi, cable TV, DVD player, CD stereo, AC in great room & each bedroom, lanai, gas BBQ, full kitchen, with in unit laundry, linens, pool and beach accessories. Condo complex is quiet & gated but not oceanfront, so must walk or drive to beach, which is not big deal. Can drive car 1 of many beachfront accesses, drop off family & gear then go park car in small beach access lot, or at Shops at Wailea covered or uncovered parking & walk back to beach. Wailea beaches have pretty gentle surf, plenty of sand & some snorkeling. Beaches at resorts have rentals of all kinds, complimentary towels, cocktail servers, chaise lounges & some have sun-screened padded bed lounges for 2, and even hammocks. If daring, your kids can try to use the beachside resort pools and water sports features as if you are staying at resort. Some condo rentals like Destination may get reciprocity at resorts. Golf, tennis & other fitness activities abound in Wailea. Package golf & tennis deals can be made at the Wailea Golf & Tennis club with learning academies & full amenities like pro shops, restaurants, bars, spas and locker rooms.

There are 4 resort golf courses in the area & 1 municipal course. Muni course is Ellair, and is not a bad tract with above average conditions and good views. Wailea caters to luxury travel, with the Shops at Wailea having art galleries, jewelry stores, high end clothing and accessories shops. Within the Shops at Wailea are coffee shops, convenience stores, Ruth Chris Steakhouse, Tommy Bahamas store & restaurant, Cheeseburger in Paradise, and a sushi bar. Resort hotels also have their signature restaurants and bars including breakfast and lunch only bistros. The golf is expensive but worth every penny. The views are as good as those at Pebble Beach and Kapalua, with almost no morning winds and usually only light afternoon breezes. The courses are challenging but not punitive on mistakes. Wailea Blue is widest and flattest course visible from the main road in Wailea, while the Emerald is more challenging and the Gold most. Like all in Hawaii, pace of play is like their pace of life, up to you, but unhurried & unpressured.

Makena is a resort south of Wailea a few miles. Used to be 2 golf courses in Makena but understand they closed the South course. The North course is the tougher of the 2 but the South used to run beachfront for a string of about 4 holes. Perhaps South has re-opened, but you can check online. Makena is a resort that used to pander primarily to the Asian travelers for golf, tennis, spa & dining, but has fallen onto tougher economic times. Deals may be available as a result & there are some condo rentals in the resort area, but never stayed there, only played golf there.

Maui Ocean Center is Maui's version of the Monterey Bay or Long Beach Aquarium. It's exhibits and activities are beautiful & fun for all ages, but you can see it all in a half day, or full day if you take your time & throw in lunch or early dinner at one of the several Maalea Harbor restaurants. We like Buzz's Wharf for dinner. There are condos at Maalea but the area is windswept daily and we don't like getting sand blasted at the beach. The condos there look dated, but I have no 1st hand knowledge of their conditions or amenities. There are several golf courses near Maalea, but never played them. If they are as breezy as the harbor then my game will just suffer.

There is a large shopping mall in Kahului and a Costco next to the airport you will fly into. We have spent the day at that mall & seen movies there too. Most of the helicopter and plane tours are out of the Kahului airport, though there are a few at the West Maui Airport now called Kapalua Airport, near where else.

Kahului / Wailuku has an independent minor league pro baseball team and a very friendly home stadium with no bad seat in the house, and inexpensive tickets & stadium fare food. We have been once, but will go again each time we are there if the team is at home.

Kihei is 5 to 10 minutes north of Wailea and has the smaller, older & less expensive condo rentals in the area. Most all the services you need if staying in Wailea or Kihei are in Kihei, including groceries, movies, water activity equipment, bike, scooter & motorcycle rentals, farmers markets and canopied craft fairs. There are good ice cream, coffee, and eateries that locals frequent. The beaches are plenty, pretty, packed and frequented by many, both tourists and locals alike. I am sure there are fine condo or even house rentals to be had in Kihei, but we have never spent any time scouting the area for ones that would suit us. Kihei was the Maui timeshare capital that your parents and their parents discovered and developed in the 1960s, 70s and early 80s. Many have been remodeled and upgraded with many of them being oceanfront but, many also front busy, noisy North Kihei Road and lack some of the modern amenities expected & standard at newer properties, like full kitchens, central AC, in room laundry.

Big Beach is south of Makena, gorgeous with great snorkeling but some pretty tough surf. Being a strong swimmer is a plus here, but there are no lifeguards and no beachside bars or rental huts. It is bring your own everything. Little Beach is clothing optional a half mile hike north of Big Beach but isolated visibly & physically from it by an old volcanic cinder cone several hundred feet tall. Young kids can have fun at Big Beach, just don't look away or close your eyes too long. The not so gentle surf rolled my 2 teens and mother in law on our last visit when they turned their backs on the incoming waves.

A day trip driving around the north shore of the island is like driving Hwy 1 thru Big Sur, CA.

If you like windsurfing, the best is at Hookipa Beach or in Paia.

Never spent much time upcountry but here it is very down to earth, laid back even more & friendly. There are B & B's upcountry & the views great but we think you'd be too far from many of the things we like about Maui, like sand, surf, sun, pools, ocean. Upcountry is where they grow wine grapes, coffee, and much of the local consumed produce, but I suspect the coffee is not quite the same as Kona coffee. Never done a taste test. Have driven thru upcountry on the way to & from Haleakala, just never stopped.

A trip to Haleakala is worth a day, if you like the top of the world, desolate, desert-like look similar to the Grand Canyon. It's not the sheer, rugged faced, river-cut walls of the Grand Canyon, but has the same arid, orange brown colors of it. The sun rays are super strong atop the peak, so wear sunglasses & sunscreen liberally or you can get fried. It's a pretty extreme desert-like hike in & around the summit. We just toured the rim and observatory bcuz all in my family are not morning sunrise viewers on vacation, while it really would be a sight to see. On my bucket list.

Never did the Haleakala bike plunge, again bcuz it usually required a long pre-sunrise wake up and drive up to the top followed by a crisp early morning plunge down. We don't haul winter clothes to Hawaii's summer climate for a one-time use!
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 09:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I enjoyed begin at the edge of Lahaina on Maui (so walking distance to all the shops, restaurants, galleries, and stuff in town).

Waikiki is very small. As long as you are IN Waikiki, everything will be close. Embassy Suites is fine (but not on the beach front).
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 10:36 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
lanejohann we are planning a trip to Hawaii in May 2014. We are from NZ. We are doing a much more rushed trip than you, three islands in 15 days!!

I have booked accommodation in Waikiki through VRBO take a look at the website, loads of condos available, better value in my opinion than a hotel. This is the one I have booked

http://www.vrbo.com/493158

another Fodors friend suggested this one

http://www.vrbo.com/489562

We have found our other accommodation on Maui and Big Island through the same VRBO site.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

this is truly astounding..to wake up in the new year and have so many replies! thankyou kind folk of fodors!

nelsonian thanks for the links to vrbo condos...they look great but we need two bedroom condos ..price is fantastic though

mauijunkie...thats some package youve brought to the thread..thank you! will print off and study with map at hand
i will never forget the fellow whose notes i used for a croatian trip,,ken his name was...i still think about how his trip report enhanced our opportunities to see great little places so i appreciate you adding all your thoughts here too!

beanweb..thanks for the warning re thanksgiving
we are planning to leave sydney 13th november and we get there the same day...leaving 6th december
so ill make sure ill book today or tomorrow..not used to thanksgiving so couldve been disappointed ifgood good accommodation was missed out on just cos im thinking theres plenty of time lol

suze..i think we will be booking one of the wyndham condos near embassy suites..a lot cheaper from vrbo

again thank you ...everyone who has popped in..so good to have this support in making important decisions!
happy new year...safe and wonderful travelling to all!

hpeabody..good reminder re dark..it does get dark round 6 doesnt it in november so the days pretty short..hana is a big day out and we will make sure we are out by 7am so we can do everything without too much rush

sylvia..thanks for warning re biking...we wont be hiring bikes..never have...and yes i can imagine it could get hairy !

martym..will check out those links..and thanks for museum suggestion..we will definitely try to go..we all enjoy history and son esp would like to see tribal stuff lol

michelle y...thanks for lahini tip...every bit counts when youre trying to please everyone

tom..ive read your other posts and have had a look at napili...thanks...still deciding
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 02:29 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Nelsonian I thought you might need 2 bedrooms, but there are plenty of those on the VRBO site for Hawaii also. I think conco's are better than hotels, as you get free wi-fi, full kitchen, and sometimes a free park also.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 02:53 PM

We're staying here in March:
http://www.rudgeprops.com/maui/about.html

Lee Ann
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 05:29 PM

Also recommend you check out the printed "Hawaii Revealed" books. Each island is a different book. I find them pretty useful for planning. And their website has great free info on lodging (both condos and hotels) including reviews and aerial pictures.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bean web!
Thanks EP...looks nice

We are narrowing down the search and after an all day marathon of looking at properties we have kinda decided on the wailea Eula condos

Seems out of our price range but if the particular condo isn't too close to the noisy side of the complex we might just grab it
I'm over the research and many properties are being booked cos of thanksgiving which dopes coincide with our dates

This particular complex according to a poster on TA is a toughie to book..the properties vary a lot in location and quality but fingers crossed it all fits the bill
Thanks again for all the help I might be back if this falls through
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 05:31 AM

That's an excellent choice in a terrific location (great snorkeling right there at Elua Beach Park).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -