Reload this Page >

Maui and Kauai opinions needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 06:12 PM
Robbie

We will be in Hawaii mid March stay at Grand Aailea Resort in Maui and Kauai Marriott Resort and Beach Club in Kauai. Did we make a good choice for accommadations-never been so we were at their mercy for nice places to stay.
Also, we will be on Hawaiian Airlines from Honolulu to Maui then to Kauai--we were told to sit on a certain side of the plane for the best view of the Island, but I don't remember what side right/left, anybody out there that could help. Thanks Robbie Ann

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 09:43 AM
BarbaraM

Just returned from both islands. Stayed at the Grand Waliea - was not impressed. Don't get me wrong the place is absolutely beautiful but the service has much to be desired. Almost everyone we encountered were cold or rude. Would not return. We are just regular people looking for a little courtesy and good service.

Did not stay at the Marriot, but did eat at Duke's, looks great I don't know about being so close to the airport - we heard the planes during dinner.

Have fun!

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 09:57 AM
MissMaui

Mahalo Robbie! That person who posted about the Grand Wailea is obviously trying to steer you away from it because they no longer pay kickbacks, whoops, "preferred supplier" fees to her agency! We stayed there just last month and it was wonderful! I have never been so pampered. The staff was great, especially after we upgraded to an ocean view room - they really seemed to SEE us after that!

Now whatever you do, DON'T ask the airlines which side of the plane is best to sit on! How would they know? You were right to come to Fodor's and hope that someone out there in the big, wide universe would descend and answer your question, and here I am! What a coincidence, huh? The best place to be upon the approach to the islands is in the airplane CRAPPER! Take my word! It just turns into a big shoving match in the aisles for the view, and you will be wise to remove yourself from the brawling and just park it on the can for a while. Don't let that blue stuff slosh on your keister though, it's tough to wash off.

Not an agent, e-mail me for more information! Mahalo!

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 12:38 PM
kayla

We stayed at the Marriott in Kauai. It was great! The pool area was beautiful. The beach wasn't all that great, but it's in a cove, so the water's pretty warm. You can also lounge on the beach and watch the cruise ships come in and out - very relaxing. We didn't hear any noise from the airport.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 06:34 PM
RobbieAnn

I want to thank all you nice people out there for your help, Barbara,Kayla and also Miss Maui. I'm beginning to feel comfortable about our accommodations-you have all helped.
I do appreciate you taking the time to help us.
We are looking forward to a well deserved vacation. RobbieAnn

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 09:54 PM
Tim

The Grand Wailea is FANTASTIC! However, I would SKIP the Marriott as it definitely is NOT in the same league. Your better bet would be the Hyatt Regency Kauai!