Reload this Page >

Massachusetts Thanksgiving?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 07:51 PM
Katie

Any suggestions for places to spend a short (3-day) Thanksgiving Vacation in Massachusetts? We were thinking about making it a Cape trip... any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 09:13 PM
Dave

The best place I have stayed at is the Chatham Bars Inn. get one of the cabins by the shore. This is a world class resort and very 'capeish'.

It's a little slow during this time period, but still very beautiful.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 04:08 AM
Liam

I would also recommend Chatham. A word of caution - I recently read an article that (to many an inn owner's delight) the northeast's typical "drop off" in tourism after leaf season may not materialize this year due to northeasterners cancelling longer distance trips (Fla, Cal, etc). I would try to make arrangements ASAP.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 09:34 AM
sandy

I third the vote for Chatham.
Chatham Bars Inn is exquisite! There are many really lovely smaller inns open as well- but don't delay in making reservations!
Have Fun!

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 08:05 AM
patricia geary glenn

I have the same question but have been looking frantically with no success for the name of a hotel I read about recently(and can't find the publication). It was located on the north shore-a nice change -near cape ann (the other cape) and like the Chatham Bars Inn-which I hear is the best place on Cape Cod. The advantage to the other cape is that it's closer to Boston(and for us, my mother's). Anyway, if you get any responses that metion this new place I'd be forever indepted to you. I've called the chamber of commerce and noone knows what I'm talking about. Also, a nice B&B- if you want someplace out of the way and romantic is the Inn at West Falmouth. The best view and great location is the Inn on the Sound(incredible views)-I don't know if it's still operating though. Thanks alot!

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 01:38 PM
KBS

My experience visiting relatives in Massachusetts on Thanksgiving Day itself is that NOTHING is open: no stores at all. I like to get out and do a little mall walking after the big meal and was sorely disappointed in MA. I think they still follow the "blue laws".

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Kristina

I can't believe no one mentioned Plymouth, MA. What better place than the home of the Pilgrims? They have a huge shindig there.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Beth2

Patricia: Was it the Ocean View Inn and Resort in Gloucester?
KBS: Stores are not open Thanksgiving Day, and are mobbed the day after. We take our post dinner walk outside! The movie theatres are open for the evening, however.
Katie: Sturbridge also has big doings, as well as Plymouth. In Chatham I also like the Wequasset Inn and the Bradford Inn.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 05:40 PM
Priscilla

Kristina,
Everybody in Massachusetts knows that the events in Plimoth sell out ages in advance, so no point in mentioning them at this late date.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 10:58 PM
Gabby

I Agree with "Patricia": Check into the "Other Cape Cod", or more notably called the North Shore,or Cape Ann.

I lived in Boston (it's suburbs) for 13 years. As a local, I travelled to the North Shore at least twice a month.

Areas of interest: Glouster, Pigen Cove an kin to: *Rockport (my personal FAVORITE), *Salem, Marblehead, and Swampscott.

These are all pretty much on the waters edge. *Rockport is a charming sea side town, with lots of little shops to go in and out of (some are still open over the Thanksgiving weekend) Some of the local Resteraunts specializing in seafood and Lobster (and 'The Glouster house' in Glouster; a 10 minute drive from Rockport) are always open and priced reasonably compared to the Midwest!

**If, you'd like to see Rockport, rent the following movies (1) "The Love Letter" with Ellen De Generes and (Spielberg's wife).

The opening scenes where: "Spielberg's" wife (sorry I forgot her name) is running and runs into town past the taffy shop and all the little shops: *Rockport!

(2) "Little Mermaids" with Cher and Winona Ryder(many moons ago)1980's?

The street scenes; when Cher is going into town to visit her new 'boyfriend' (Bob Hoskins)at the shoe store: Rockport.

The North Shore is a Pleasant, Easy, and shorter drive into Boston than from the South Shore ("Cape Cod").

I believe you take 128 all the way up to the sign that points you towards Rockport - Really SIMPLE.

Or you can Take Old Route 1 for the scenic tour (if my memory serves me correctly)

Driving to the North Shore doesn't send you through 'town'/ Boston either, and if you're not accustomed to driving in Boston? LOOK-OUT!!! You can get stuck on the Rotary's..hahahaha

The "Other Cape Cod" or the North Shore is in my opinion a bit more down to earth, sure the people who live there have tons of cash, but you wouldn't know it talking to them.

The South Shore / Cape Cod in my opinion is overated!! Go North!!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 03:34 PM
r-travels

We drove to the Plymouth area Wed night to go into town Thanksgiving Day. Got a good deal at Fairfield Inn Middleboro (18 mi west @ Rt 44 & I-495). Visited Mayflower II, the Rock, and walked the nearby neigborhood. Also went to Plimoth Plantation. While the MEALS at the Plantations were all entirely booked, we did find the tourist sites we visited not mobbed at all. We eventually ate 45 min away in Weymouth at the Hearth & Kettle - a pretty decent meal at a small chain restaurant. We then headed on up to Woburn, where we used the Fairfield Inn located next to the MBTA Lowell Line tracks as our home while visiting Boston the next few days.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:23 PM
mimi taylor

There is a lovely inn, fireplace in the beautiful bar, gourmet food, incredible wine list. rooms with a balcony.
a seperate folly with a pool.
Tewksbury, Ma.