Reload this Page >

Maryland Crab Cake Tour

Search

Maryland Crab Cake Tour

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2002, 05:58 AM
fran

Maryland Crab Cake Tour

I'm the one who started the Key Lime Pie Tour thread. Would also be interested in going to the source for Maryland Crab Cakes. Suggestions for the best crab cakes, and also quaint towns on the Maryland shore?

Old May 4th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Owen O'Neill

Can't comment on where to get the best ones as I've only been there once but when I first ate a crabcake on the Eastern shore it was a revelation. I'd had them elsewhere and didn't realize that I'd only had pale imitations before having the real thing. We had lunch in some non-descript roadside place whose name escapes me. The village we stayed in was Oxford - tiny and very quaint. It has a few restaurants, a few blocks of houses, one or two inns/B&B's and five marinas. It's primarily a destinatio point for weekend boaters on the bay and is not heavily traveled by tourists. We had a fantastic breakfast in a small place that was once a bank - right across from Oxford's only store but I can't recall the name. St. Michael's and Tigheman Island are very close by and fun to visit but St. Michael's in particular is very touristy. We had a great time in Oxford as the goal was to find a quiet, romantic place - it was all of that and then some.

Old May 4th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Owen O'Neill

Forgot to mention - read James Michener's "Chesapeake" before you go. It's a good read and offers a fascinating historical perpsective on the specific area I just mentioned (albeit fictionalized but still full of accurate historical info).

Old May 4th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Gary

Very good crab cakes at:
Mcgarveys Saloon (410) 263-5700
8 Market St
Annapolis, MD 21401

Old May 4th, 2002, 09:14 AM
suzanne

I'll be in Baltimore next weekend...anyone know where to get good crab cakes in the Fells Point area?