Marriott Metro Center in DC for family?

Nov 14th, 2003, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Marriott Metro Center in DC for family?

Starting to plan a summer trip to DC for the family. Got what appears to be a good rate at the Marriott Metro Center. Am interested because it is near the subway and has a swimming pool. Any comments on it? Is the location good for a family that will be going to the Smithsonian, monuments etc.

Also how many days should I plan to be in DC? We've 1 week, driving down from Boston and want to be in Baltimore one day to see a Red Sox/Oriole game. Can we squeeze in Kings Dominion for a day too? Can you do a day trip from DC to Kings Dominion?
Nov 14th, 2003, 05:51 AM

A co-worker of mine stayed at the Marriott Metro Center last month and he said it was a nice hotel and it was close to all the sites and was able to walk to everything. There are also a lot of other hotels that have pools and will have deals going on.

You should be able to squeeze in Kings Dominion. I believe it's under a 2 hour drive, since it's 75 miles south. You could probably split it up this way: 1 day in Baltimore, 5 days in DC and 1 day for Kings Dominion.

I'm going to DC next weekend, so when I return, I'll have more info!

Nov 14th, 2003, 05:57 AM

I stayed there in early October with my 2 kids as was very pleased. We won the room on Priceline for $60, got in at midnight, and still were offered a room with 2 double beds, plus a rollaway so nobody would have to share.

Very handy to the metro, literally steps away from a stattion served by 3 lines. Not a lot of food choices in the area compared to some other neighborhoods (e.g., Dupont Circle), but in the lobby there's a Starbucks with Krispy Cremes.

A hike but do-able to most attractions, IIRC the closest one is the new Spy Museum. We were in town mostly to look at colleges, rather than see the regular tourist places.
Nov 14th, 2003, 06:36 AM
LN

Hi
Sounds like you have a great trip planned there. You'll have no trouble doing Kings Dominion but you will need a car to get there. The ride will take you down 395 which then becomes 95 and you'll be at Kings Dominion in about one hour. If you wanted additional hours at Kings Dominion you could look at that as your last day in the area and just spend the night at a local hotel/motel there. Then in the morning head north to Boston again.

Metro Center is a GOOD location!! And it's even better if you get a good rate. The hotel is always kept up and rooms are done well.

Washington is a good walking city and you can get the subway to any additional location you'd like to see.

As to the ball game - you might want to buy your tickets early.
Nov 14th, 2003, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it will work for us.

Might prefer to have a suite type hotel. Can anyone recommend one that has a pool? I've stayed at the Embassey Suites in Foggy Bottom (?). Something like that would be nice but not sure the location works well for a family.
Nov 14th, 2003, 07:16 AM

We've stayed at the ES in Chevy Chase; it's part of a mall (with chain restaurants like Cheesecake Factory) and literally on top of a Metro station, so it's extremely convenient even though it's a bit farther from the city center than most hotels. Reports say that the ES in Alexandria is across the street from the Metro.
Nov 14th, 2003, 07:51 AM

There is a Summerfield Suites (by Wyndham) that is close to the Metro by Dupont Circle. I believe they have 2 bedroom suites and are priced relatively well. There's also a Residence Inn by Marriott in the area.
Nov 14th, 2003, 12:52 PM

The ES in Alexandria usually has rates MUCH lower than the others (with exception of TysonCorners) but it's not as convenient to DC itself (but OldTown is nice). I visited Summerfield Suites & it looked just a little worn, but overall pretty nice -- the two bedroom suites have 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, 3 tvs, kitchen/lr area (w/ pullout sofabed), and much nicer to stay at as far as immediate area (near Dupont Cr) goes. While by no means fancy, but clean, adequate, & convenient is a Red Roof Inn 1 block from Gallery Place, and you might find renting a couple of rooms can be done for less cost than a suite. Have also stayed at Radisson Barcelo, and the rooms are huge. I second the suggestion to stay outside the DC area the night after visiting Kings Dominion, or better yet, before, so that you can spend the entire day there. If you use the Metro to get around, location within DC is not so important, as it's easy & safe to get to everywhere a tourist would want to go to.
Nov 14th, 2003, 09:22 PM

I am from Minnesota and have been to DC several times. If you are talking about the Marriott near the White House, you could not find a better place. You can easily walk to all the Smithsonian Halls, and you are also across the street from the finest hotel in Washington D.C., the Willard Intercontinental. For sure, keep these reservations and enjoy yourself!
Nov 15th, 2003, 04:36 AM

The JW Marriott, near the White House, is at 1331 Pennsylvania Ave. The Marriott Metro Center is on 12th between G and H -- a bit farther north and east, a few blocks farther from the Mall.
Nov 17th, 2003, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies. I've stayed at the JW Marriott on business, so I agree that its a nice hotel. I'm assuming the Marriott Metro is more family oriented.

Was considering Alexandria as I thought it was convenient to DC by subway. I'll have to rethink that.

There's still a long time before we take the trip so I'll make my ressie at Metro and keep my eye out for a better deal.

Thanks again.