Marriott Marina Hotel, Ft Lauderdale

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying into Ft Lauderdale in a few weeks and will spend three nites there before driving to Key West. If we stay at the Marriott Marina, do we need a car? Would prefer to just get the rental car when we are ready to drive to the keys. Are there restaurants within walking distance?
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:50 AM
jd

You don't need a car, as the water taxi stops here, and for $5/day it will take you to the beach, restaurants, and shopping areas.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:04 PM

Didn't know about that water taxi, interesting jd. That being an option, I'd still get a car.

The Marina property is on the other side of the drawbridge isn't it? It's somewhat remote from everything but the mall, right? Three days in Lauderdale without a cruisemobile could seem like a long time to me.

I'd prefer being more independent for entertainment there but maybe you'll be able to live with the shops and restaurants available.

K.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:01 PM

no drawbridge any more. A single span has replaced it. About 2 years now I believe.
LMF
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:01 PM

For only 3 nights, I'd wait to pick up the car on maybe the last day if there is some place special you want to go that you need the car for. Otherwise, wait until you are leaving. The Water Taxi will take you to loads of restaurant, shopping, entertainment areas. If you have a car, you'll have to pay to park it at the hotel and it might just sit there most of the time. You might want to take a cab over by the beach or catch the water taxi.

I love the hotel you selected. It's one of my favs in Ft. Lauderdale. Try to get a room looking north over the pool and the intracoastal on the upper floors. It will be worth a few extra $$ for the view. I just got back some pics I took from the balcony of this hotel and while on the Water Taxi, I'll e-mail some of them to you if you want. My email addy is [email protected]

I live in Ft. Lauderdale and can help you with questions you may have. Also, a really nice cruise you can take that's a couple hours long is the Carrie B. They usually have discount 2 for 1 coupons in the local Friday paper (Sun Sentinel.) I mailed one off to BuffaloGirl and she appreciated it. Let me know if you are interested and I'll look for the coupon (a $15 savings.)

And yes, there are restaurants only a few blocks away as well as a nice restaurant at the hotel with a water view (if yachts aren't in the way) and a great tiki bar in the pool area.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:31 PM

LilMsFoodie, you're only partially right. The bridge was replaced with a much higher one, but it is still a drawbridge, and needs to be raised for tall masted boats of which there are still plenty. We were having breakfast at the above mentioned Marriott just after the new bridge had been opened, when it got stuck in the open position. They couldn't get it closed and traffic backed up for miles in the couple of hours while we were still there.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - but revised the itinerary so only spending one nite Ft Lauderdale and then will head for the keys the next morning. So we're going to stay at a hotel near the airport, and then head out early the next day.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 09:18 AM

To each his own, but since places along 17th Street Causeway or further along Ft. Lauderdale are less than a ten minute drive from the airport, I don't get the idea of confining yourself to an airport hotel for the night. Are you planning to just hole up there, or will you get out and at least walk along Las Olas or the beach or something to remind you where you are?
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Airport is only a few miles from the Marina Marriott, its watertaxi stop and an opportunity to see a very exciting city up close. Airport is virtually in the city. You are not going to save yourself any time. But as Patrick says.....LMF

BTW anyone doing a search on the Marina Marriott: this cautionary tale: Beware the Marriott Chickee bar Rum Runners. Whilst basking in the sun during a F L boatshow I managed to drink two or three rumrunners that were thoughtfully brought to me poolside. They were delicious and smooth and somehow paralyzed my legs! I lived to see the morn but those were some Rum Runners. I stick to champagne these days. LMF
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

We will arrive into FLL late; that's why we're staying at an airport hotel. Then after the Keys, we will spend two nites in FLL before returning home, and have reserved the Marriott Marina for those nights.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:18 PM

Heartburn3,

Don't want to answer a question that OTC didn't ask but I've stayed at this hotel and didn't like it much. I prefer the Harbour Beach Marriott which is close by and has more to offer IMHO. Marina is out of the way and is right on the highway if you don't upgrade to waterway room. I also remember the connection of the buildings was a little odd. Correct?

Was at the Marina hotel for Christmas boat parade but other than that would go the other property for sure.

Thought I'd mention it just in case orangetravelcat has the option.

Kaklena
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 03:51 PM

The Marriott Marina Hotel is definitely in an odd spot as far as getting there, but after you drive it once, you get the hang of it. Basically, when heading east, you take the roadway that runs along the right side of the bridge, it takes you under the bridge and the hotel is right there. When exiting, you just hang a right and head back down the little access road about a block to the road at the corner of S.E. 17th Street Cswy. and the Quay shopping area.

I would definitely stay at the Marriott Harbor Beach if I had a choice between the Marriott Marina and the MHB. With either Marriott, you won't need a car because of their access to the Water Taxi. This time of year, however, the MHB is much higher in price than the Marina.

PS: If you have a car, it will cost you more to park it at the MHB than the Marina. Just wanted to throw that in, in case it's a factor.