Reload this Page >

Marriott/Kauai or Manele/Lanai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 08:06 PM
JJ

I am staying 5 nights on Maui and want to go to another island. Lanai is attractive for I can go by boat across the water to the Manele. On the other hand, am I missing a lot by not going to Kauai? What I am looking for is good weather (the reason that I am staying away from Kapalua and Princeville in February), good restaurants, not too many kids and some things to do. Please help. Thank you.

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 11:21 PM
lcuy

Go to Manele Bay. It is easy to get there and you won't be disappointed. I actually prefer Koele Lodge, which is up on the mountain instead of on the beach like Manele. the good news is that they are essentially the same hotel..you can charge to your room at either one and use all the facilities.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:18 AM
JJ

Thank you lcuy. I hear that the Manele is VERY EXPENSIVE. I am not trying to go cheaply to Hawaii (especially since we are going on United FF miles justifying extra costs) but the Marriott is much less expensive. Thanks and I am still trying to balance the factors.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 10:49 AM
jan

JJ- You will not be disappointed with the Kauai Marriott, it is lovely. Price both then do what you can afford--believe Lanai is in a class of its own!

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 03:53 PM
Cindy

I thought that the Marriott was pretty with a huge pool. I don't know the relative cost or feel, but the Marriott gets a thumbs up.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 04:32 PM
Kimberly

I haven't stayed at the Manele but hear that it is quite romantic. We had reservations for the Manele but unfortunately was talked in taking the ferry to Molokai instead.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Eric

Just back from Manele Bay. It is very expensive, it is posh, the sevice was great, the restaurants were great, the views were great, the golfing was great and on and on. The Hotel was only about 33% filled when we went. If it wasn't for a few(I mean 2-3) morons who brought their two year olds(don't they have a nanny or grandma to babysit these heathens) it would have been the greatest vacation we have had. The spa was being renovated. The spa was still available, but not to the level we were looking for and the front nine at the Lodge was being resodded. These were disappointments, but solitude and service were definitely a part of this resort.

We also stayed 5 nights in Maui and 2 nights in Kauai(take a helicoptor tour for some of the greatset spectactles that the earth has). Plus it was an easy way to see the island in ninety minutes. We stayed at the Hyatt and there were many children and the Marriot was the same as we visited the resort to check it out. Nothing rivaled Lanai! It just depends on your tastes and pocketbooks.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 11:22 PM
John

Manele is, for the most part, quite nice, but as a beach fanatic I was not overly impressed with the beach. True, the sand is quite nice, but, funny as it may sound, it was so thick that it was unwalkable, and the section closer to the shoreline was so soft (from the disappointing heavy wave action, I suppose) that it was like walking in quicksand! The bottom line was that walking anywhere on the beach was impossible!! And, the beach isn't really as "exclusive" to the hotel as they want you to believe, i.e., far too many "local yokels" using the beach, including mnay pup tents and barbequers, etc.; certainly not my idea of "exclusivity," especially at those prices! We would not return solely for that reason! The Wailea section of Maui is much preferred, in my opinion!!

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 11:56 AM
gina

JJ,
A suggestion, and hopefully it will not come too late...

If you redeem United FF miles to get tickets, they will send you a 50% off coupon for any of the Starwood Properties, including the Luxury Collection, for two nights. (Actually, you'll get one coupon for each ticket you reedem.) Manele Bay is included in this list of hotels.

And, if you call the hotel when booking and quote UA50Plus, they will double the coupon so you can use it for 50% off FOUR nights instead of two.

The fifth night is 35% off if you are a Starwood member - register now.

This is how we went to Kapalua Bay for about $215 a night, oceanview. We plan to do the same thing for our honeymoon!

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Linda

John's complaint about too many "local yokels" on the beach at Manele is a bit much! F.Y.I. All beaches in Hawaii are public property not like so many beaches in other states. Perhaps John might remember that he was a guest on the "local yokel's" island.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 10:08 PM
John

Sorry, Linda, but when I'm paying BIG BUCKS for exclusivity, I expect that to include the beach area as much as possible. And for your information, I have stayed at other Hawaiian resorts where it is virtually impossible for "local yokels" to even get near the beach, i.e., the Mauna Kea on the Big Island! Yes, I was a guest on the "local yokel's island," but, fortunately, the local yokels also DON'T own and run the resorts that I'm paying a small fortune to stay at!!

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Mike

JJ

We just got back from Lanai and Kauai 2 weeks ago. We stayed at Manele Bay and Hyatt Kauai.

Manele Bay is exceptional as is Koele Lodge. But there is not a whole lot to do other than enjoy the resorts. There is not much at all to see on the island.
Particluarly if you are comaparing to Kauai.
I would recommend looking into Hyatt Kauai. There are more restaurant options, more to do, more beauty.
We've been to Kauai 3x in past four years and lanai this for the first time this year. Not that Lanai wasn't what everyone is saying, but IMHO you just get so much more in Kauai. Kauai is known for its peacefulness as well.
Beach House, Roy's, and many other great restaurants on Kauai.

I don't know much about the Marriott, but I think you should look into th Hyatt.

Good Luck,

Mike