Marriott Ihilani or Turtle Bay w/ kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, lots of great info here. Went to Oahu & Maui on "grown up" trip b4, this time bringing 11 & 5 yr old. Staying on Oahu for 5 nts over Memorial weekend. Rented a 1 bdr condo in Waikiki but would like to splurge 1 night for a more "tropical island resort" feel. Any experiences on the best place to stay where parents can enjoy some cocktails by the pool while kiddies can play on beach? Which one has the closest access for decent snorkeling? The oceanview rooms at Ihilani are about $70 more than Turtle Bay, has anyone stayed in a mountain view at Ihilani?
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:23 PM
mgc

I lived on Oahu and spent one night each in both resorts. The Ihilani is the only attraction on the leeward side of the island. The rest is unimpressive. The resort is nicely landscaped but that side of the island is naturally dry and not 'tropical.' That said, the Ihilani has manmade lagoons the kids would love. The spa is also very nice. Wouldn't suggest snorkling outside of the lagoons - the rip currents are strong out there. The Turtle Bay is also isolated but on a more tropical part of the island. I recall the beach being quite rough and rocky. Apart from the natural beauty of the area, the place didn't really make an impression on me. The Ihilani is newer and the overall facilities are nicer. Turtle Bay is older but in a very 'tropical' part of the island. It's a real toss up, considering which factors are most important to you.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:36 PM

On the flip side, while west Oahu may not be as "tropical", 9/10 times when it's raining hard on the island with 3" downpours all over, this area will be dry and sunny! Something to think about.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 08:46 AM

Have stayed at both and I think your kids will be bored at Turtle Bay. Ihilani is isolated too, but Turtle bay is a good 40 min drive into Oahu. On a good day you could make it in 25 mins from Ihilani. Also there is a movie theatre not far from Ihilani, TB has one too, but there are only 2 theatres, whereas Ihilani has 6-8. More dining choices near Ihilani. The mountain view rooms are nice at Ihilani, very lush. Beauty wise the Turtle Bay wins with the tall waves. Have fun whatever you decide.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 01:24 PM

We just returned from a trip where we stayed at Turtle Bay for two nights. I haven't seen Ihilani but my kids would have liked Turtle Bay when they were little also. They're 13 and 16 now and they loved it. The hotel has beaches on both sides and one side is sheltered so you could snorkel there. The pool has a water slide that my kids would have loved as little ones. I beleive all the rooms at Turtle Bay have an ocean view.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your inputs...it helps! Reason I was leaning toward Turtle Bay was to devote one whole day of pool leisure and exploring beaches within walking distance. Then next day be close to Dole and Polynesian cultural center for a few hours before heading back to airport for red eye flight home. Won't be in rooms much but affordable ocean view there is a big plus. Might even try a lil horseback ride during the stay.

Still, 11 yr old seems to be taken with the fact that she can "hop" from pool at Ihilani to the beach across the walkway. Decisions, Decisions
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 05:54 PM

Aloha gg,

You won't regret the n shore!
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 08:26 PM

We stayed at Turtle Bay and enjoyed it, but haven't stayed at Ihilani. Another plus for Turtle Bay with kids would be that there is a famous surfer beach nearby and the kids might enjoy watching the surfing. I forgot the name of this beach, but am sure they would know at the hotel (or someone here might know). And yes, I believe every room has an ocean view.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Aloha again, thanks for all the reviews. With the latest good reviews and the fact that the rates went down on the net (small balcony, oceanview for $200...been watching these for weeks), the choice is made...Turtle Bay. Sounds like there will be some fun exploring there on the North Shore too.

Question for "tbelgian" or anyone else who's stayed since renovations, is there a better wing or floors to stay on?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:13 PM

Hi ggrtist,

We were at the Turtle Bay last month. In the past I have also stayed at the Ihilani. Even though we stayed in one of the Turtle Bay cottages, we took a tour of the hotel rooms while we were there. The wings of the hotel face different directions, both lovely. From what I saw, what area you stay in would be based on personal preference, as they all seemed to have some type of view. Obviously, the best view rooms and suites are pricier. The view from the lower floors might be more obscured, or face more onto part of the building. I would call the hotel directly and ask them. Also, depending on how crowded it is when you get there, you may be able to take a look at a few different rooms to make up your mind. The staff were very helpful during our visit.

I think your kids will have a great time -- I know I would have at their age. Have fun!
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:39 AM

We stayed on the 6th floor, I think, and it was great. We also booked on line for a small balcony and ocean view. We paid $199, which we thought was a great price. The balcony had 2 chairs and room for all 4 of us to go out and watch the waves and the whales off shore. You will love the area. We went to some restaurants down past the Bonsai Pipeline and they were great. One was called Jamersons where we watched the sun set while we ate. It was beautiful. There is also some shrimp farming in the area, the opposite direction from Bonsai, and the locals eat at the "Original White Truck," which is a truck and some picnic tables where you can buy cooked shrimp. We didn't go there but the security girl told us that was the place to go. We just ran out of time.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 12:28 AM

It's probably too late, but my vote was for the Ihilani for kids that age. There are the safe lagoons, dance shows by the pool, ray and shark feedings at the hotel tide pools, pretty grounds, nice pool side eating.....

Turtle Bay has a good pool, nice bar by the pool and ocean, horseback riding, trails and a small bay.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

well it's never too late to get second opinions...at least as long as it's more than 72 hours till check in