Search

Mardi Gras

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 10:52 AM
Jeff Brucker

Mardi Gras

I'm planning on going to Mardi Gras this year. I'm looking for advice from anyone who's been there or knows anything about New Orleans. Where should I stay? What areas should I avoid? What should I do while I'm there? Any advice will be welcome.
Thanks,
Jeff

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 11:35 AM
Meg

If you don't already have reservations, finding a place to stay at this point may be difficult. Be aware that if you do find a room available for your trip, a lot of hotels have 3, 4 or even 5 night minimums for Mardi Gras with inflated rates. What you avoid and what you should do while you're here really depend on you and what you want to experience. If you are 21 and want the full blown Mardi Gras party-til-you-puke experience, head to Bourbon Street with 100,000 or so other people. If you are older and want a more sane experience, find a balcony on St. Charles to watch the parades go by. I don't really know where to tell you go - I usually stay home and enjoy whatever I can see from my gallery. This year, I'm actually fleeing the madness. Best advice I have? If you are coming in a car, park it at the airport and take a cab into the city.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 01:19 PM
John

Meg is right, Jeff. If you don't have reservations already, you'll need to (a) be extremely flexible about the property itself, the dates, and the rates, or (b) plan for 2001. Most of the better places are surely full by now, and the remaining rooms will cost you $200+ in the French Quarter area. But, it's a great time and should be experienced by everyone at least once. (That's what travel is all about...experiencing different places and different people.)

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 08:13 PM
Jeff Brucker

Thanks for your advice, guys. Actually I'm only 20, and I'm kind of worried that it'll limit my experience. Will there be too many places I can't get into because I'm not 21?

I'm going partly for the party experience, but I want to do some other things also. I've heard NO has some good food and good blues, and I want to try them both out.

As for a place to stay, I'm on a tight budget, and can only go from the 4-7 of March. As long as the hotel is safe, clean, and close to the French Quarter, I'll be happy.

Any suggestions?

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 08:50 PM
anna

Yeah, wait til next year.

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 04:18 AM
John

Jeff, I'd wait until next year as well. You'll probably be able to find alcohol at age 20, but it still illegal and cops do make extra efforts at enforcement during Carnival. Plus, you will not find reasonably priced accommodations at this point. I don't mean to appear negative, but it's just too late for 2000. I own a B&B and we sell out a full year in advance, every year!

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 03:55 PM
Jeff

Thanks for the information. I think I will wait until next year for Mardi Gras. I'm still thinking about visiting NO after Mardi Gras, sometime from the 10-20 of March, when I have more time to go anyway. Is this a good idea?

Old Feb 13th, 2000, 01:38 PM
Krista

Hey Jeff!

The best idea is to go the week before Mardi Gras day. Next year, Mardi Gras will be in February. I went when I was 18 and 19 and 21. The last time I went, almost everything was restricted to over 21. Wait until next year! You will have a great time. Visit the House of Blues and Tippitina's for great music, eat crawfish, and drink Hurricanes. One week or even a few days is enough time at Mardi Gras. Any longer is exhausting!

Krista

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 04:21 PM
julie

Mardi Gras is fun, ONCE. Just watching people make fools out of themselves is worth the price of the trip. Honestly, the costumes, floats, excitement are an experience. We lived in this area and thought some of the neighborhood parades were the most fun, a little scaled down, but fun for all. Be aware that they throw things (coconuts?) from the floats and fight for the beads and coins that are sprinkled thru the crowds. The Gay beauty parade is unbelievable, original and costly costumes, the musical bands, etc. It is definitely worth going once. If you don't have a room booked by now, it may be too late. Hope you go and have a great time.

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 07:40 AM
Glen

Mardi Gras in N.O. is great. Particularly Mardi Gras Day (Fat Tuesday) in the Quarter. However, You might want to consider Mardi Gras in Mobile, AL. Mobile is the birthplace of the celebration in the US and has large and more centrally located, festivities in the downtown area. It is a bit more tame than New Orleans and tame may not be what you're looking for. Have a good time!