Manhatten on a budget?

Search

Manhatten on a budget?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manhatten on a budget?

Ok I may be dreaming but when I saw how expensive it was in Milan I decided to stay stateside..Can't score a place in Glacier NP.
So I thought NY!!.Want to stay between Rockefeller Center and the park.Looking for a decent place on the low end...maybe there are deals online ...It will be late July...Is it possible? Am I destined to stay home?
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 01:02 PM

That's just not a low-end neighborhood. If you're willing to stay farther out from the center of midtown, you might get a bargain. July is one of the slower months.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

I can get a room in Paris for less than 200 right in the center....I know maybe I should go there....Milan was 350... it so hot in the city in July....
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 03:16 PM

It depends
>It's possible to get a 4* hotel for around $120-170/night by bidding on Priceline but it might be a last minute thing and Priceline is generally better for less than a week. Midtown North/Central Park South is the area you describe on Priceline but that's a harder area to win. Parker Meridien is the 4* won most often. I think the Hudson is a 3* win there. Great hotel but tiny rooms. Some hotels in midtown east would cover the area you're talking about but not all. Look on biddingfortravel.com to see some of the hotels won and the lists by area.

>Closer to the date you could find specials on travelzoo.com.

>And if you don't mind a very small room (like really small) and you're only 1 or 2, you can find a pod room at 6 Columbus (new, trendy modern hotel) on quikbook.com

The Club Quarters Rockefeller Center and/or Midtown might also work.

Late July is a good time for deals in NYC.

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

I don't need 4 stars....2- 3 is fine..I am used to small rooms but I need to have it clean, quiet and in the center (for walking)and nice staff

Thanks for the tip about the Parker Meridian and the Hudson.... Maybe I should go at a different time as I'm very sensitive to the heat...I'm embarrassed to say I haven't been to NY since I was a kid...I would have a lot of research to do
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 10:11 PM

You don't say where you will be flying from, so maybe airfare is will make a difference (flights from US to Europe in July are high) but overall I'd say you'd do much better in Europe even with the poor exchange rate than you would in NYC - at least as far as hotels are concerned. Other than Priceline or getting some kind of deal (July is cheaper than some times of year) you'll likely pay alot more in NYC than most European cities.

NYC in July can be beautiful but can also be horribly hot and humid. Several recent years I've been in Europe (Italy, Spain,etc) in July and it was hotter back home in NYC/New England than it was over there.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd go to Milan
;-)
seriously

There certainly must be hotels there for less than $350?
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

lost my held tickets...no, suze not by the church...

I was going to rent a car after a couple of days and go to Provence and Swiss alps..
.I have to go to Texas in August so I should plan something for June,somewhere cool...but not cold....NH,Vermont ,Maine or just NC.....from what it sounds like I wont be able to score a hotel in June in NY mid town
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 03:40 AM

Look at Super 8. I stay here all the time. Key is to KEEP track of pricing trends. I stayed here between Christmas and New Year's. Price for one night dropped $150, another night $200 from orginal booking.

I'll be there again in Feb for several days. Very centrally located, in busy safe area.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Wow budgetqueen...Wonderful location and it has a family suite.. its 250 right now for spring I love building...its as good as higher price places...a keeper......haow about transportaion?
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:42 AM

Have you looked into Radio City Apartments or the Econo Lodge Times Square? Both have reasonable reviews on tripadvisor and are better priced than a lot of other hotels.

I haven't stayed at either, but have booked Radio City Apartments for a trip in August as it was an affordable, centrally located and a suite.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:03 AM

Transportation?? If local, you are walkable to 3 subway lines, Red, yellow and orange. Also 5 and 6th Ave buses, as well as the 42 crosstown bus. Very very convenient, I think.

1 long block to Times Square, easy walk to Central Park, without mobility limitations.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:22 AM

Highly recommend using Priceline. We got the Sheraton Four Points Chelsea in June for $160/night. I haven't found anything elsewhere that even comes close to that price.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

thank you
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:37 AM

You never said anything about a family. I would read all the reviews on the hotel first before getting too excited.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._City_New_York

If you're looking for a family suite, I would not be so fussy about location and zero in on good, CLEAN hotels that will comfortably accomodate your family. Many of the suite hotels like the Murray Hill East Suites, the Beacon or even Embassy Suites in the financial district would be far far far superior.

When you ask about transportation, I really worry that you know nothing about NYC. The subways, buses and taxis will get you anywhere you have to go.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Let's start from the beginning. How many are you and what's your hotel budget and how long will you stay?
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:05 PM

How to eat cheaply in NYC

Breakfast

Every, and I do mean every, neighborhood in Manhattan have what are euphemistically called delis. Almost all have some sort of breakfast specials that usually includes eggs, potatoes, toast and coffee. If you are not hungry or are cholesterol adverse, they also usually sell sliced fruit and yogurt. Of course there are bagels and pastries. NEVER EVER order room service.

Lunch

Part of the NY experience is to avoid chain restaurants. There are an incredible variety of inexpensive foods, among them Chinese and Indian. Quality varies substantially. If you are in or near Chinatown, there are many places including Lin’s and Big Wong’s. If you are near the East Village East 6th Street has literally 20 Indian restaurants to choose from. If you are in the East Village you can also have inexpensive Eastern European cooking at Veselka, Italian at La Foccacia, Filipino at Elvie’s, comfort food at Mama’s.

Pizza is a long lunch standby-do not go to ANY chain, the cheese is older than the kids who make it. Look for by the slice places and try a calzone as well, you will not eat for two days.

Sidewalk hot dog venders are always cheap, avoid the guys around Rock Center, you pay a premium.
There are those who wonder about the hygiene, the dogs are boiled and the knishes grilled for forever.

Free samples are available at Dean & Deluca, Sarabeth’s, and Gourmet Garage.

It is the rare independent bakery in NYC that does not have at least bread or pastry that is enticing.

Dinner

When we travel we often buy different foods as we walk around the city and put them in our backpacks and have dinner in the hotel room. In NYC you will probably see foods that are unfamiliar. Carry a knife, forks, and a corkscrew. Among the better places to buy foods as you walk-Greenmarkets including Union Square.

The following are expensive but cheaper than a meal for either prepared foods, fruits, cold cuts, and desserts-Balducci’s. Dean & DeLuca, Zabar’s, Zeytuna, Gourmet Garage, and Chelsea Market.

Eat in Chinatown and the East Village as described above.