Reload this Page >

Manhattan/theater district/sunday brunch

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 08:01 AM
elaine

We have tickets to a Sunday matinee and would like to have a casual Sunday brunch prior to going to theater. Would appreciate restaurant recommendations. I am very unfamiliar with theater district restaurants. We will have a car and will be in Manhattan for just the day.
Thanks to all who reply.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 08:10 AM
Ellen

I can help you, but need more info.
Specifically, what block is the theater on. The theater district runs from about 42nd to 48th St., with some of the shows (such as Cabaret) being in the 50's. If it is nice, you can walk a bit, but if it is rainy, you may want to be close to the theater.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 08:28 AM
Patrick

Two places come to mind. Aquavit on 54th has a spectacular brunch with Scandanavian influences. Last I knew it was $35 per person. Also there is the highly recommended brunch with a view at Rhiga Royal also on 54th.
Oops, just saw you said "casual", these are not formal at brunch, but perhaps a little more than what you had in mind?

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 09:15 AM
L

By all means purchase Zagat's for NYC ... and look at the index in back. It will provide you with what you need, precisely.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 09:20 AM
elaine

Ellen,

We'll be seeing "The Producers" at the St. James Theater (late April).

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 09:23 AM
Caitlin

If you want to use Zagat, you can do it free online (though you have to register to read reviews) at www.zagat.com. I assume you are looking for recommendations from actual people, though, since IMO Zagat is more helpful for locating possibilities than for knowing if they're good ones. If you're willing to walk from 56th St., Redeye Grill has brunch offerings. So does the always-popular Joe Allen, nearer to the theaters. Bryant Park Grill, in Bryant Park behind the Public Library, at 42d and 6th, could be a fine pick--not too far to walk to the theater district. As Patrick notes, there are some very nice brunches in the hotels, but they're not really casual (and are expensive, usually $40-50 range.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 10:18 AM
elaine

Caitlin,

I did a Zagat search and 4 restaurants were mentioned (2 are hotels and the other 2 are just 'so-so'). We come into the Manhattan from time to time and have enjoyed brunch at Aqua Grill, Quilty's, Zoe's, The Cub Room - which are located in SoHo. If we could park in a lot, would it be more prudent to take a cab or simply walk (weather permitting)? My main concern, is not being close to the theater following brunch. I've had more than a few encounters being stuck in traffic, knowing the cutain's going up!

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 11:20 AM
Caitlin

Elaine, if you can allow yourself 40 minutes before curtain time, I don't think a cab from someplace further downtown would be a problem on a Sunday. Since Sunday matinees are usually at 3, that shouldn't be too hard, right? But I'd want to go somewhere that takes reservations and let them know that you need to be out by a certain time!

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 11:51 AM
L

Zoe is a terrific place for lunch ... and the taxi ride back is 10-15 minutes, at most. The Zagat's does in fact give you some idea of what people think of a particular restaurant ... although it's just snippets. But I find that day in and day out, no matter the city, the Z inforation is just as good and useful as newspaper food critic reviews. Anyone familiar with Zagat's knows it also devises an "F" score for food ... usually anything 24-25 or higher is very good, and generall reliable, in my experience. Also, perhaps the popularity scores up front might be indicative of quality ... but I'd suggest matching the "F" and location for best fit, and most certainly you will wish to call in advance and reserve. Enjoy NYC, and don't forget to bring black, black and more black. Ciao

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 03:53 PM
Caitlin

L, if you were responding to my comments about Zagat: I know how Zagat "works," I just don't happen to think the ratings are necessarily reliable, even in NY, which has 18,000+ respondents. It's okay as a general guideline, but I don't give it too much credence because I think the methodology of the Zagat survey (as well as the editorial policy) is problematic. I agree that restaurant reviewers aren't necessarily better, especially if you're not familiar with them (and sometimes they just really suck). My favorite restaurant resource is the message board at www.chowhound.com. People who post there (myself included) are passionate about their food, and it's up-to-the-minute, unlike Zagat.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 06:48 AM
Ellen

Hi Elaine,
As promised, here is my 2 cents.
Agree with above poster, Bryant Park Cafe is a good choice, & the park is pretty in the spring. 25 W.40th between 5th & 6th. Enter in park. 212-840-6500.
Also, Jezebel-630 9th Ave. & 45th St. Prix Fixe buffet $28 pp. 212-582-1045. Southern food, wonderful, unique, romantic decor. Or Rachels for some 'home cooking' & basic breakfast fair in a small, intimate setting. 9th Ave between 43rd & 44th. 212-957-9050.
By the way, I am seeing the Producers this Sunday evening. Will post a review, but based on the reviews from Chicago & previous Broadway performances by Nathan & Matthew, I am sure it will be unbelievable.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 08:55 AM
L

Hi, Caitlin - no, I was telling the poster how Z works. I realized you probably knew Z inside and out. Certainly you raise good points. I've used the Zagat's stuff for over 30 years (from the beginning when they were doing only a short NYC thing with their friends). And to be sure there are some problems. It's just that Z is the best thing in print on the market for any given city. It serves as a very solid starting (or ending) point for people who do not have access to Food and Wine, etc., or who cannot sort through the various food critics, or do not wish to spend much time on research. So, I just thought that Z might help with NYC ... it seems to me it really is a huge help for a city that size. Ciao

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 10:59 AM
elaine

Ellen,

Many thanks for brunch suggestions. As the Sun. matinee starts at 2pm (vs 3pm) the restaurants you suggest are very worthy exploring...and I really look forward to reading your review after seeing "The Producers"!...just rented the video again as a reminder of why it's getting rave reviews!!!

Note to L: I did appreciate Caitlin's Zagat suggestion (as well as brunch suggestions) - I am very familiar with Zagat's rating system...

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 12:20 PM
L

That's terrific, Elaine, and have a wonderful trip to NYC, and hope you find a great restaurant. I too thought Caitlin's comments were quite helpful. Bye, L

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 08:25 AM
L

Message to Elaine and Caitlin: I should probably not say anything, but I thought your messages had a negative tone, and were just a bit hostile toward me. I assume you're bright folks ... so presumably you understand I was attemtping to help you, Elaine. I would have to think that you, Cailtin, have a thing against Z ... you took the time to post quite a diatribe about it, in response to my brief suggeston that Elaine purchase a copy ... which of course she should do (I don't wish to debate the issue ... but all in all, Z is the most useful thing around, no matter how you characterize it, Caitlin). I guess I'm a bit PO'ed at you two ... I was busy this week, but took time to try to help. I won't make that same mistake when I see your names in the future. Have a good one. Cha

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:07 AM
Caitlin

Okay, I'm a bit puzzled. Not sure if you, L, had a change of heat following your previous comments and then wrote the last one, or if an imposter is posting something under your name. I don't want to assume anything, given what a free-for-all this forum can be. Suffice it to say, however, that I certainly had no hostile intent and meant no insult to you or anyone else. Certainly your own intent was to be helpful to Elaine, and I'm sure she must recongnize that as well. I assume, generally, that people are familiar with the Zagat guide, since it's pretty ubiquitous, but post here when they want to hear something from individuals. Many people recommend (especially on posts about New York) that the poster check out Zagat, and I never think that's out of line or unhelpful, though I personally try to give more if I can. I'm not a big fan of Zagat, and I don't personally find it all that reliable. That's my opinion, and I certainly don't look down on those who likes the Zagat guide and finds it useful and helpful. Matters of taste do vary even among those with good taste, which is both why the wide net this forum casts provides a good cross-section of advice for people, and why it matters that L and I do not agree on Zagat's reliability no more than it does that we disagree on the necessity of an all-black wardrobe to looking stylish in Manhattan . I believe we're both thoughtful and fairly sophisticated people. I believe L posts cogent advice and well-thought commentary (as I hope I also do), and with a wit I appreciate. So L, if you did post the previous post in your name and now feel that way, please be assured that no offense was meant. I'd hate for you to not answer a thread just because I had posted something to it, thereby depriving readers of what you have to offer!

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:17 AM
L

Very gracious and nice of you, Caitlin ... will forward to exchanging info. with you in the future. Have a great weekend. Cha

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:34 AM
Caitlin

Likewise!

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 10:12 AM
elaine

L,

In an earlier post I stated I was familiar with reading Zagat and their rating system. My intention, when mentioning Zagat, was meant to be neither negative or hostile.
My original post was an honest attempt to find restaurant recommendations serving casual Sunday brunch, in close proximity to the theater district. First hand information is always preferable (to me), and I attempt to assist others when I am familiar with a particular locale.
Patrick, Caitlin and Ellen offered good suggestions and I thank them for taking the time to post their replies.
I would gladly welcome other's first hand recommendations.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Ellen

Hi Elaine,

Saw the Producers last night. Unfortunately, Matthew Broderick was out sick (really--not at the Oscars). However, his understudy was wonderful. We all loved the show. The sets & costumes were great, casting was PERFECT for all parts. Funny, funny, funny! We have a 2nd set of tickets for Apr.14th, so I will have another shot at Broderick. We saw him in How to Succeed in Business & he was great in that. This part is absolutely tailor made for him. Nathan gives a standout solo performance in the 2nd act that is TONY worthy. In fact, he almost got a standing ovation in the middle of the show. Only complaint, seats are really tight. Any seats in the front orch or front mezz are great because the facial expressions are priceless. The balcony is another story. I don't think you see the same production when you are that far away. I know many people stand on line at TKTS & think the balcony is fine, but I think that with some shows, it is a shame to miss the details that separate an ensemble musical performance from a fine acting performance set to music. Yes, you can hear the music & see the sets just fine, but you will miss the 'acting' which is never really just about speaking the words. Enjoy the show! And for the next one, if you haven't seen the Full Monty, get tickets (right across the street)before you go in to the Producers. Loved that one too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -