Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Manhattan hotel that won't clean out this Canadian's bank account??!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 11:53 AM
canuck

Will be visiting friends on Long Island in the spring but would love to spend a night or two in Manhattan. Considering the Canadian dollar is in the tank right now...any suggestions as to how I go about getting a nice room at a decent price? I don't think Priceline works in Canada. Any suggestions?

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Lois

If you can't access Priceline, your best bet is to look at Expedia and Orbitz, and just avoid E Side midtown, which would put you in the midst of the most expensive restaurants in town. I like the Hotel Beacon on B'way at about 75th st., which is itself a reasonably priced property, walkable to theaters (sort of a long walk, but as you're presumably used to arctic temps, it will seem balmy in NY), with a mini-kitchen in some rooms (I think) so if you want to save further on meal costs, you can pick up dinner from Zabars, a couple of blocks down, or else enjoy another moderately priced restaurant in this residential area. Otherwise I'd try some of the way downtown hotels which have been running deep discount specials to bring business back to their area.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Chris

We've stayed at the Edison Hotel just off Broadway behind the Mariott, cool, Art Deco Hotel with a neat Polish Cafe and Piano Bar. I think it was under 150 and restaurant row is down the street and you're only steps away from times square.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 02:14 PM
ryan

You might consider looking for a hotel outside of midtown. There are several hotels down around the Wall Street area that become relatively empty on the weekend.
They would include the Regent Wall Street, the Holiday Inn on Gold St., and the Wall Street Inn on William St.

You might check with them for a deal.

Again, as long as you recognize that you'll be about a 10 to 15 minute subway ride "away" from the action,and that restaurant options will be limited on the immediate streets,this might be an economical choice.

Good luck.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Ted

Try the Bentley. Great rates are often available.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 04:23 PM
Lois

Ryan's answer reminds me, the Holiday Inn Wall St is apparently great value right now, if for some reason you want to be in the financial district, which is fine, but far away from the usual tourist sights, except of course Ground Zero--a 5-minute walk away. Another good value is the Holiday Inn on W57th St, between 9th and 10th. You can get good rates on the Holiday Inn webside, and it's a very convenient location. Also, on 9th ave. are many inexpensive restaurants, a relief after the expense account/tourist places in midtown, around 5th and the theaters.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 04:25 PM
friend

Why not ask your friends in Long Island to buy it for you on priceline.com and then your reimburse them? It really is the only way to go for reasonable prices in Manhattan.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Rachel

what price range are you looking for? Try quikbook.com, which has many NYC hotels and which allows you to cancel or change dates without penalties. I'm sure everyone's sick of me mentioning it or thinks I work there (I don't) but we've had great success with The Roosevelt-midtown, beautiful lobby, spacious (by NYC standards) rooms, right by Grand Central Station, so everything is easy to get too. Lots of restaurants, bagel stores, etc nearby so you don't pay hotel prices for food. Lately, I've seen them on quikbook for $129/night.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 05:35 AM
lisa

You might try the Habitat Hotel at 57th & 3rd Ave -- close to Bloomingdale's, short walk to Madison & Fifth aves shopping, Rockefeller Center, etc. Short cab, bus or subway to Metropolitan Museum.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 11:28 AM
bobbie

Try the Quality Inn and Suites at 59 W. 46th St. between 6th and 5th. I paid $90 last summer for a room with two double beds and continental breakfast. Good location, budget hotel. clean.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 12:55 PM
gab

There's a relatively new budget hotel in my neighborhood (the Upper West Side) that looks nice. It's called On the Avenue, and it's on 77th Street near Broadway. Close to the Museum of Natural History, Central Park, and an express subway stop.